Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Ula rain wrap

  1. #1

    Default Ula rain wrap

    in my quest to get lighter and less complicated with my gear. I was considering a rain wrap from ULA. I was thinking this would also help me with my quest to hike in the rain and not be wetter inside my rain gear than outside. in otherwords, I sweat like crazy so I thought the rain wrap would be more airy. Would someone using this kind of rain gear also use a poncho? any thoughts on this?

    Restlesss

  2. #2
    Registered User Lyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-25-2006
    Location
    Croswell, MI
    Age
    66
    Posts
    3,932
    Images
    68

    Default

    See this current thread for discussion:

    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=#post1205118

    Specifically about using with a poncho, I don't think that would be necessary. The Rain Wrap is equivalent to a poncho for your lower half. Most folks would use it with a Rain Jacket of some sort. In my case, I use a very lightweight sylnylon jacket.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-17-2009
    Location
    Hadley Pa.
    Age
    63
    Posts
    396

    Default

    I have a rain wrap by Moonbow. It is really like a kilt. I like it and use it when I do laundry. Top half of me gets the Antigravity gear silnylon rain jacket when it is cool. For hot weather hiking if I plan on keeping going no matter the weather to make a shuttle or meet a ride then it's a Packa and let my legs get wet. I do carry a set of sil chaps for if I get cold but they are hardly used. The Packa goes low enough that I don't mind my knees and below that getting wet. I can vent the Packa real well so I don't get the condensation like with a jacket. It is bearable any way due to the pit zips and the Packa isn't trapping heat. Once you go Packa you won't go backa! But yes to answer the question yes a wrap is more airy.

  4. #4
    Registered User Ladytrekker's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-23-2008
    Location
    Citrus County, Florida
    Age
    64
    Posts
    870
    Images
    29

    Default

    I just ordered the ULA pack cover for my Circuit I believe it is the same material as the wrap does anyone know how well it keeps water off or after alot of rain does it absorb the water.
    If you canít fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ainít worth fixing

  5. #5
    Registered User Lyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-25-2006
    Location
    Croswell, MI
    Age
    66
    Posts
    3,932
    Images
    68

    Default

    The sylnylon doesn't absorb water. The pack cover does a decent job of keeping MOST of the water off of your pack. You cannot, however, trust it to keep everything protected. You still need to pack sleeping bag, dry clothes, electronics, etc in plastic bags. A rain cover is one piece of the barrier against wet gear, not your entire system.

    A weak point in the new, modern, lightweight design of pack covers is that in heavy rain, they tend to collect water in the bottom. You need to periodically empty them. A PITA!. The old, formed pack covers like Kelty used to make for their frame packs, which were open on the bottom, did not have this problem. I plan to eventually put a couple of grommet holes in the bottom to allow drainage, but have never gotten around to it yet.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-16-2011
    Location
    Long Island
    Age
    45
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    A weak point in the new, modern, lightweight design of pack covers is that in heavy rain, they tend to collect water in the bottom. You need to periodically empty them. A PITA!.
    I had this problem in the 40-minute downpour (which moderated to heavy rain for another half hour) on the LT, about 7 miles N of Sherbourne Pass on July 6 this summer. The ULA medium raincover over my Catalyst kept collecting water at the bottom seemingly by the gallon (and I kept on trying to empty it). However, I did not have this problem early on the trip when I hiked for nearly the whole day in moderate rain on average (it was light sometimes, on the heavy side at other times).

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-04-2011
    Location
    Everywhere, Nowhere
    Posts
    26
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Check out Watermonkey.net or his youtube videos. Water Monkey just got a ULA wrap and has a video about it, good info. I hike in a kilt so I think I'm going to try one out also.

  8. #8
    Registered User Ladytrekker's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-23-2008
    Location
    Citrus County, Florida
    Age
    64
    Posts
    870
    Images
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    The sylnylon doesn't absorb water. The pack cover does a decent job of keeping MOST of the water off of your pack. You cannot, however, trust it to keep everything protected. You still need to pack sleeping bag, dry clothes, electronics, etc in plastic bags. A rain cover is one piece of the barrier against wet gear, not your entire system.

    A weak point in the new, modern, lightweight design of pack covers is that in heavy rain, they tend to collect water in the bottom. You need to periodically empty them. A PITA!. The old, formed pack covers like Kelty used to make for their frame packs, which were open on the bottom, did not have this problem. I plan to eventually put a couple of grommet holes in the bottom to allow drainage, but have never gotten around to it yet.
    Good point I may do put the grommets in the bottom of mine when it gets here thanks for the tip. I do pack my stuff in plastic but thought I would add a pack cover to slow down the impact of water in the pack.
    If you canít fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ainít worth fixing

  9. #9
    Registered User Raul Perez's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-24-2009
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Age
    41
    Posts
    590
    Images
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traildog & Tbone View Post
    Check out Watermonkey.net or his youtube videos. Water Monkey just got a ULA wrap and has a video about it, good info. I hike in a kilt so I think I'm going to try one out also.
    Thanks for the shout out!!

    I actually posted the video on the other thread the OP started on the ULA Rain Wrap.

  10. #10
    Registered User Doc Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-06-2010
    Location
    hanging between trees
    Age
    54
    Posts
    538
    Images
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladytrekker View Post
    Good point I may do put the grommets in the bottom of mine when it gets here thanks for the tip. I do pack my stuff in plastic but thought I would add a pack cover to slow down the impact of water in the pack.
    Just a note on this my gregory pack cover has holes already in the bottom to prevent this.
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •