WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User Maddoxsjohnston's Avatar

Default Boots or Trail runners? HELP.

Hey guys ,

I am going to do a nice 50 miler AT section-hike in the Laurel Falls area on October 21-24/25. And after checking out my classic, tried-and-true Merrell Moab Mid Wide Width Waterproof (mouthfull..) boots, somewhat unusual feelings of unease ensues. I've got fairly large feet- I'm a 13. And I was wondering if I should make the switch to wearing my normal sneakers (Brooks Ravenna 2's- I'm a runner) on the trail.

I have no knee/leg problems; I'm young and chipper at 29 .

My question is what are the pros/cons of switching to my sneakers for this hike? Also, what sort of socks should I wear?

Thanks all,
    Maddox

If anyones interested, links to both shoes:

Ravenna 2- http://www.brooksrunning.com/Ravenna...shoes-guidance

Merrel Boots- http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Prod...h?dimensions=0

Images

I've had several pairs of great fitting boots. I almost always got blisters. The pounding my feet took on the trail caused my feet to swell slightly after a day of hiking. Also, my boots would be wet on the inside from perspiration or rain, and would never dry out. So, I switched to trail runners. Breathable, light, plenty of grip... never had a blister since.

Images

Trail runners and darn tough socks.
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

Images

I would go with light trail runners of some sort. You still want good, lug soles.

Did you see the article in the current AT Journeys? The one about DWG? Apparantly, they used to keep buckets and Epsom Salts on hand for hikers to soak their feet in following the PA rocks. They no longer do that since most hikers are now using lightweight shoes instead of heavy boots.

I will join the others who say that blisters used to be a part of hiking, no matter what boots I used. Since switching, not a single blister, even starting out with brand new trail runners.

Regarding socks, use what you find comfortable. I still like the cushion of wool socks, usually ankle length unless it's a late/early season hike when the extra warmth of over the ankle socks is welcome.
    Last edited by Lyle; 10-01-2011 at 10:03.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

"If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Deucalion View Post
    I've had several pairs of great fitting boots. I almost always got blisters. The pounding my feet took on the trail caused my feet to swell slightly after a day of hiking. Also, my boots would be wet on the inside from perspiration or rain, and would never dry out. So, I switched to trail runners. Breathable, light, plenty of grip... never had a blister since.
    What do you think makes the trail runners prevent blisters? Is it the breathability? If so, maybe the OP could consider the Moab Ventillators low cut not waterproof (more like trail-tunners?). I love those shoes. Also, I have tried the waterproof and non-waterproof versions of the same shoe and find they fit very differently. For me, the waterproof version was very uncomfortable but the originals were wonderful. I recently replaced my Moabs with Refuge Core Ventilators. Very similar (lots of breathable mesh), but the mesh doesn't go quite as far down the sides, so it gives a little more protection from standing water. I like them as much as my original Moabs. Something to consider.

For a long hike I use high quality Italian Boots. Day hikes I usualy use trail shoes.

Thanks all! I know this section is really rocky, so I think I'll go for the boots; they're really well broken in, and provide nice ankle support. The last thing I'd want is to roll an ankle and have driven 300+ miles for nothing!

ain' nuthin' butta' peanut hambone5126's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    ^doc knows whats up^
    It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.
    -Sir Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by Maddoxsjohnston View Post
    Hey guys ,

I am going to do a nice 50 miler AT section-hike in the Laurel Falls area on October 21-24/25. And after checking out my classic, tried-and-true Merrell Moab Mid Wide Width Waterproof (mouthfull..) boots, somewhat unusual feelings of unease ensues. I've got fairly large feet- I'm a 13. And I was wondering if I should make the switch to wearing my normal sneakers (Brooks Ravenna 2's- I'm a runner) on the trail.
    I'd stick with the tried and true Merrells for this hike and not get something new.

To put this into some sort of perspective for you. If I was hiking the PCT your 50 miler would have been 2 days. Even my worst shoes would have lasted 2 more days. You are planning a 5 day trip. I'm sure your old shoes that aren't even totally worn out will go 5 more days.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I also wear a size 13 and have been in trail runners for the past ten years. Never will go back to boots.

I'd stick with the tried and true Merrells for this hike and not get something new.

To put this into some sort of perspective for you. If I was hiking the PCT your 50 miler would have been 2 days. Even my worst shoes would have lasted 2 more days. You are planning a 5 day trip. I'm sure your old shoes that aren't even totally worn out will go 5 more days.
    When I said that I meant the night before at the hostel and the drive home as well I was planning on hiking for two to three days, depending on conditions.

Also, I purchased a new pair of trail runners the North Face Hedgehog GTX XCR's and have started to break them in, work great so far

If anyones interested...
    http://www.rei.com/product/811478/th...ing-shoes-mens

Journal Entries
    Images

Trail Runners - less weight.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

500 miles in 4 weeks and if i remember correctly, 2 small blisters.... trail shoes. wouldnt ever consider boots after seeing booted casualties

In my opinion, trail runners!
    I've hiked a good deal on the Allegheny Trail, every season but winter and I found that I seriously got blisters from boots. I switched to trail runners and then light, breathable sneakers and I found that I had better grip on the trail, fewer blisters and had more energy after a hike (boots can be a great deal of weight). Make sure you get some wool socks-- the type that work well no matter which season (usually the thick, wicking type).

Trail runners and (Vermont) Darn Tough socks.
    +1

I use New Balance 4E's
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

^^^THIS.

After switching to trail runners I will never hike in anything else. I'm a size 12 with slightly wider than average feet and I love the way Brooks runners fit me. Plus they're built like tanks: I just put 1,200 miles on a pair of Cascadia 6's (the 5's were even better. sigh...)
    This is an adventure.

I'm another guy who is with Doc above. Salomon's and Darn Toughs for me every time. I prefer the crew socks with cushion on the bottom. Knowing my feet sweat terribly, this has proved to be a great set up for me. I have an extremely wide size ten, so I use the wide style trail runner XA 3D ultra 2. Their boots like the quest are made on a wider last which is why you will not find a wide version. If you ever look for boots, try on an Asolo wide and a Salomon regular Those European boots are not made for us wide footed folk. I do own a pair of quests as well.

I am actually starting to think that boots are not only not as good as trail runner style shoes but that they are detrimental. My last trip after 11 miles I had blisters on both heels and a blackening toenail on my left foot. Everyone I talk to manages blisters in their boots...so what good are they? If everyone is getting blisters in them, blisters are debilitating, take your focus off the experience, and can become infected. So why do we need boots to walk in the outdoors?

As far as ankle support...put your boot on one foot, tennis shoes on the other. Step on the side of your foot on each of them...is the boot really providing any support from rolling your ankle? I have some high dollar Italian leather boots, very stiff, and they provide no real ankle support. If your boots are high enough and stuff enough to provide REAL ankle support they probably weight a TON and you are probably managing blisters every second you have them on.

I see no advantage whatsoever with boots other than keeping your feet warm in cold/wet conditions but even then I think they can be detrimental as they take longer to dry out and probably are still giving you blisters.

For me...I'm done with boots forever I think.

Quote Originally Posted by TyTy View Post
    I am actually starting to think that boots are not only not as good as trail runner style shoes but that they are detrimental. My last trip after 11 miles I had blisters on both heels and a blackening toenail on my left foot. Everyone I talk to manages blisters in their boots...so what good are they? If everyone is getting blisters in them, blisters are debilitating, take your focus off the experience, and can become infected. So why do we need boots to walk in the outdoors?

As far as ankle support...put your boot on one foot, tennis shoes on the other. Step on the side of your foot on each of them...is the boot really providing any support from rolling your ankle? I have some high dollar Italian leather boots, very stiff, and they provide no real ankle support. If your boots are high enough and stuff enough to provide REAL ankle support they probably weight a TON and you are probably managing blisters every second you have them on.

I see no advantage whatsoever with boots other than keeping your feet warm in cold/wet conditions but even then I think they can be detrimental as they take longer to dry out and probably are still giving you blisters.

For me...I'm done with boots forever I think.
    Indeed. The only time I use boots are in cold conditions (around 15 degrees and below) or where there's not really an established trails. Hence the name TRAIL runners, they're not quite as successful without the, ahem, trail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++