WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hike the toughest section of Maine

Sometime soon, the rain is gonna stop in Maine and it will be sunny for a few days in October. Anyone interested in hiking from Rt. 2 near Gorham to Maine Hwy 26? Its about 31 miles and I'd figure on 4 days to hike this difficult section which includes the Mahoosic Notch and Mahoosic Arm. I'm thinking sometime between 10/11-20 if the sun comes out. It is supposed to be a warm Fall in New England so alternative time of 11/4-21 may work as well.

Nice section!!! Hope you have better weather than I did. It took me 4 days and it was all rain except coming down to RT 26. Oh and the Arm is a whole lot harder then the Notch.

Images

A nice swim can be had in the pond at old speck shelter, after The Mahoosic Notch [NOBO]. With a rare spectacular view of Mt. Washington to the south, I taught my son Map & Compass on the erratic on the rise before the pond. One of the few times he fondly recalls of me force marching him up the AT.

I did that section a few days after Irene in 2 nights, 3 days, but I was keeping pace with a thru-hiker friend and she was in a rush, we had pretty good weather - and it nearly killed me! So, sorry, it will be a while before I tackle that section again!

3 nights, 4 days would be a little mellower pace. 4 nights, 5 days might be even better with the days getting noticably shorter. We'll, if I were you, I do this hike ASAP, like this week after the rain we've had the last few days moves out. Getting a streach of 3-4 nice days in a row now that we're into October is going to be less and less likely. No matter what the weather forcasters think.

I think I missed the 3 best days of fall which are now looking like they happened last week. I spent those days putting insulation in my attic. I tell people its those 3 nice days in the fall that I live up here
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I spent Tuesday hiking to Cranberry Peak on the Bigelow Range. You could not ask for a better fall day with near peak foliage to boot. I felt very lucky to be there and I spent an hour and a half at the summit. I did not want to leave!

Sorry for the hijack juma. Maybe I will hike up Old Speck and hike back down with ya if we can make it work. Wish I could take four days off in a row!
    skinny d

Quote Originally Posted by DLANOIE View Post
    I spent Tuesday hiking to Cranberry Peak on the Bigelow Range. You could not ask for a better fall day with near peak foliage to boot. I felt very lucky to be there and I spent an hour and a half at the summit. I did not want to leave!

Sorry for the hijack juma. Maybe I will hike up Old Speck and hike back down with ya if we can make it work. Wish I could take four days off in a row!
    yeah, I think that was the one good day this last week. I was down on moody mountain enjoying it too. then the rain began....

Im looking at the grafton loop for halloween weekend. Just hope the weather is nice

Maine in the summers - Colorado in the winters!

Oct & November are tough times to catch several days of good weather in a row up here! It happens but not often! Be ready for everything!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    yeah, I think that was the one good day this last week. I was down on moody mountain enjoying it too. then the rain began....
    Never thought I would see the words "Moody Mnt." and "enjoying it" in the same sentence.
    skinny d

I do love that stretch of the trail. Or, maybe it's better to say I both love and hate that stretch of trail.

Put me down as a maybe.
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

Just got back from a 250m section hike that I only completed 50 miles of thru the Mahoosic Knotch. My son and I got pretty busted up I fell on to a boulder cracking a rib, treking poles wacked me in the cheek giving me a one inch gash that bleed like a stuck pig. My sons knee inflamed to the point that two days after the knotch we had to end it early. What ever your miles per day are cut them in half. And do the m. knotch when it is dry.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyadam View Post
    I do love that stretch of the trail. Or, maybe it's better to say I both love and hate that stretch of trail.

Put me down as a maybe.
    ok, grizz.

Images

try to plan on staying at gentian pond shelter one night. the view of the carters is pretty sublime.and as mentioned before, Mahoosuc Arm is worse than the notch.at the same time, once I slowed down, and stopped thinking about it, the notch was a lot of fun, the route up the arm i believe was designed by a monkey who was related to Marquis de Sade.

Images

I hiked that section last year and would love to do it again, but have jury duty on the 13th. Have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Migrating Bird View Post
    I hiked that section last year and would love to do it again, but have jury duty on the 13th. Have a great time.
    Hey MB, I'm not locked on any certain dates. The weather is gonna drive the time. If you think you'd like to to do it, I'll get back when I see a nice phase in the weather.

Hike the toughest section of Maine?

That would be New Hampshire.

That would be New Hampshire.......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post

That would be New Hampshire.......
    many NOBOs have told me NH was tough, but few anticipated just how tough western maine actually is.

Sounds fun. Hopefully next year, not quite in shape for that yet.

I tell ya, New Hampshire was my nemesis. After it, Maine was a cake walk comparatively speaking. Maybe I was just numb.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++