WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Stealth to me means don't be seen and leave a zero footprint. Half the time I stealth camp I don't even know if I am in violation of any rules. Often it is easy to run across a rule that you didn't even consider. I always go with the no harm, no foul rule. And no, I don't consider taking a "five finger discount" and stealth camping to be the same thing. Many times due to weather or other issues you simply have no choice.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Default Covert Camping

I know I've stated in past post that I "stealth camp". Stealth is actually the wrong word to use, "covert" is a much better term to use in that "stealth" could infer meaning illegal.

So, I'm "covert camping" from now on, no longer "stealth camping"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    I know I've stated in past post that I "stealth camp". Stealth is actually the wrong word to use, "covert" is a much better term to use in that "stealth" could infer meaning illegal.
    Now, if we're parsing words, should we discuss infer v. imply, which mean two different things?

BTW, I do approve of your covert camping! I like that term, as I have always inferred from the use of the word "stealth" that it was a euphemism for and meant to imply illegal. I don't buy that stealth generally means "leave no trace," as there's already a term for that, namely LNT.

Anyway, the whole word game can be confusing, for sure.

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 10-06-2011 at 22:30.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

This is possibly the opposite of stealth camping. It was poring rain and i was walking through a state park after park. The lights were on in this rest room It was warm and dry. I was exhausted. Spent time in the mens room and decided to find a camp and left. Quickly returned and ended up bedding down in the entry way figuring it was cleaner. Didn't want to sleep on the mens room floor so lobby was the choice. Woke up to people stepping over me in the morning to go to mens room. Embarrassing but warm and dry.

T

Journal Entries
    Images

Good Post Big Cranky!

Weird Rain Man ! I thought stealth was covert camping - not Illegal camping... so thanks that explained the earlier shut down.....

Stealth may refer to:

Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 10-07-2011 at 19:29.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

One observation I thought would have already been made. This is almost entirely an east coast issue. On the PCT there are very few shelters (none in the first 1300 to 2000 miles), so camping along the trail is mandatory. Sometimes you try to hide, sometimes the best campsites are right on the trail, sometimes you pitch the tent on snow. A whole different ballgame.

Quote Originally Posted by Mango View Post
    One observation I thought would have already been made. This is almost entirely an east coast issue. On the PCT there are very few shelters (none in the first 1300 to 2000 miles), so camping along the trail is mandatory. Sometimes you try to hide, sometimes the best campsites are right on the trail, sometimes you pitch the tent on snow. A whole different ballgame.
    That's a good point.

I really don't think much about the term "stealth" when hiking the AT because it's so easy to stay out of site -- no skill needed. However, when I'm on a bike trip in some areas the idea of stealth becomes much more of a conscious effort.

I think the whole point of defining stealth as legal but covert camping, for the purpose of this thread, is so this can be a legal thread, right?

I've been on one trail (not AT, but approach to the Hike Inn near Springer) where a stealth camper could do some real damage if they didn't know about bed of rare pink ladyslippers along the trail. I've been through there when they're blooming and obvious (and incredibly beautiful), but if they aren't in bloom, you wouldn't know that you were stomping around some very rare, and very delicate plants.

That trail is really too short for anyone to feel the need to camp there. And the thing about rare plants is that they're rare, so you're not likely to tramp across them in any given stealth camping spot. But since I sleep better by myself, I expect that I would prefer stealth camping over sleeping at shelters, so I wonder if there's any way to avoid that kind of damage.

Anyone know any good resources for learning about special, rare plants you might encounter along the trail, so you can avoid killing them? (Which would be nice for nerds like me who are into knowing that sort of thing, too.)

I was under the impression that, as long as LNT was followed, you could camp almost anywhere along the trail corridor you wanted to; the only notable exceptions to this was any land that was considered "private" or National/State Park land.
    Why am I a wizard?? Thats simple...I am where the trail magic is...

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard 2009 View Post
    I was under the impression that, as long as LNT was followed, you could camp almost anywhere along the trail corridor you wanted to; the only notable exceptions to this was any land that was considered "private" or National/State Park land.
    That's almost humorous seeing you are from Connecticut, where camping is restricted along the entire AT corridor to designated shelters and camps.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

"That's almost humorous seeing you are from Connecticut, where camping is restricted along the entire AT corridor to designated shelters and camps."

I don't think the restriction is "Official" state regulations. I know there is a fire ban in my fair state, but the practice of LNT practically bans pit fires anyway. If i'm not mistaken, and i very well may be, the "restricted camping" in CT was put in place by CTAMC. I've never had a problem camping on the trail in connecticut as long as i ascribed to LNT.
    Why am I a wizard?? Thats simple...I am where the trail magic is...

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard 2009 View Post
    In some places yes. I took pictures of the signs in Vermont as posted by the GMC and the signs in The Whites that explain, when you can camp off trail and if you do to make sure its the proper distance off trail. With that, some places on the trail, even in Vermont are just off the trail and they want you to camp in those spots instead of camping in new spots. There are camp spots along the AT/LT at shelters that are off trail but only about a couple of yards. I think of it as more of using common sense and making the spot look like no one ever was there.

Images

Websters definition of Stealth - : intended not to attract attention
    Pretty much what I think of in conjunction with stealth camping.

Websters definition of Illegal - : not according to or authorized by law.

Pretty much sums it up, at least for me.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

It's strictly semantics. Stealth camping can be either legal or illegal. If dispersed camping is allowed where you set up your stealth camp, then it's legal. If dispersed camping is disallowed then it's illegal.

Stealth really only refers to whether your camp can be readily discerned.

Clandestine camping is another option to consider.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++