WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Advice on an ultralight backpack with support

I currently have a Gossamer Gear Mariposa pack that I use when section hiking the AT. My pack weight is around 27-32 pounds, however after a couple of days hiking the pack straps begin to really hurt my shoulders. has anyone had this type of experience with ultrlight backpacks and if so, what adjustments did you make? If you changed packs, why?

30 pounds is really too heavy for an UL pack. At that weight you would really benefit from a framed pack. Look at the ULA Circuit. 20 pounds or so is really the comfort range for all day comfort
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far". Theodore Roosevelt

There is nothing that can be done, it's not a question of adjustment....the reason why you are uncomfortable is because you are carrying a substantial amount of weight in a frameless pack. If you are carrying upwards of 30lbs, outside of your actual empty pack weight - you are far from ultralight. Believe it or not, it makes more sense to carry 34lbs sometimes instead of 32, because of 'how' the pack is able to carry and distribute the weight. Personally, I would much rather carry 35lbs on my hips and lumbar than 30lbs on my shoulders, back and neck. Your problem is a common one - the focus on weight over function. I would recommend going to a more substanital pack, I might suggest:
    - Granite Gear
    - Gregory
    - Osprey
    - ULA

Hike smarter, not harder.

What they said. Knock 10-12# out of your total weight. You're carrying a traditional load in an ultralight pack. A ULA Circuit would handle it, but even that would be happier with 10# less.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

I used this pack for my thru this year carrying from 20-35 pounds depending on season and food. I had the same issues at the heavier weights and have heard the same thing from many others with the same pack. Adding extra padding that was narrower to the straps of all things eliminated the problem. The shoulder straps seem to be too flat and wide and cut in to your shoulder with the standard padding. I used about a 2" strip underneath the stock padding that comes in it. Worked for me but cant say it will work for everyone.

Adding foam won't necessarily solve the problem, cause it's most likely a foam density problem, meaning the foam is collapsing...put more foam in and more foam collapses. I've never carried a Gossamer Gear pack (personally I think they are rubbish) but it doesn't surprise me their shoulder harness doesn't do the job. The 'cut' of a harness is absolutely critical, not to mention the foam support and just overall comfort. Look at an Osprey shoulder harness for one of the best in the world right now.

Images

I'm just starting to use a frameless pack and I don't like it when it's near 30 pounds. That's about what it weighs with a full load of food and a large load of water. Fortunately both of those things get consumed, and the pack quickly becomes lighter and comfortable.

You could also train so that you walk faster. Get the miles done in minimal time and enjoy the rest of the day without the pack on your back.

I would have to agree that 30 pounds for a lightweight frameless pack may be too much. I have to second and third the ULA packs...the Circuit or Catalyst. The Catalyst may be what you need, the padding is good and has never given me problems...is larger than Circuit but you carry more in colder weather and has handled close to 30 pounds on extended hikes with no problems.

I don't like my lightweight frameless pack at 20 pounds, never mind 30. I recently bought a circuit. I'll bring out the frameless again if/when my baseweight gets down to ~8 pounds or so. Higher than that and I'd rather just bring the extra 1 pound for the sake of comfort.

The ohm 2.0 is coming out, the new hip belt is just the same as the circuit. The supporting poles are now inside the back. All these new features are fantastic to me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudynesz View Post
    The ohm 2.0 is coming out, the new hip belt is just the same as the circuit. The supporting poles are now inside the back. All these new features are fantastic to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudynesz View Post
    I just ordered Ohm 2.0, I think it will be a wise decision.

Check it out the new features.
    I would like to see more on the Ohm 2.0. But I guess I need to get some more experience out of my Circuit, as I have hardly had the chance to break it in. I am backpacking 3 weekends next month, so that should help, but sure would be nice to pick up an Ohm. Maybe I can use the Circuit as my winter pack and the Ohm 2.0 as my summer pack. Oh, the possibilities!
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
    I currently have a Gossamer Gear Mariposa pack that I use when section hiking the AT. My pack weight is around 27-32 pounds, however after a couple of days hiking the pack straps begin to really hurt my shoulders. has anyone had this type of experience with ultrlight backpacks and if so, what adjustments did you make? If you changed packs, why?
    The only reasonable adjustment you can make is to reduce your pack weight. I wouldn't carry more than 25lbs max in a frameless pack, and that's the MAX, like the first day of a really long resupply in the desert with 3 liters of water included.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

The ULA Catalyst is a great pack for that weight. You don't have to fill it up. I just received my ULA Ohm 2.0. Wow!

Disclaimer: I'm one overnight in Springer away from a complete noob.I'm just buying all my gear now and I'm in the same position. I want to go ultralight, but I want something that can carry up to 35lbs comfortably. I'm not sure why you would want to, but in my case I need to account for my medical supplies, and all of my dog's gear food and water on days that he's not up to it.Anyways, reasons aside, my research led me to this: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/packs/Starlite.html It's a 24oz pack which has good reviews and has been rated to comfortably carry 35lbs. It has an interesting back pad pocket, and a nice padded belt, plus it has optional stays if you feel you need it. One negative I keep reading is that it might be too big (volume) but if that's the case I figure you can let out your sleeping bag a bit.I plan on buying one soon based on the reviews. I hope this helps.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDey View Post
    30 pounds is really too heavy for an UL pack.
    I disagree. I've carried more 40+ pounds in a Golite Gust with no problems although I'll admit that's not typical. For me, it's all about how it's packed. You have to know how to effectively create the "frame" for the pack with your gear so it rides correctly. There's definitely an art to it.

For over 20#, I'd use a ULA or Granite Gear pack (except the Virga). My goto pack for winter loads is a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone I've had for 4 years now.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Buying an ultralight pack to carry 30-40 pounds, regardless of the "rating", is just a receipe for disaster. Or disappointment, at least. If you're gonna play the UL game, you gotta play it the whole way. And Gossamer Gear makes great packs, at the correct load. And I say that after actually owning and using one.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Look at Zpacks Blast 30 pack with carbonfiber frame. 11.8 oz I just got one.

As others have stated, ultralight packs are for ultralight loads. My winter weight for a week is around 26 lbs. That's about as heavy as I'll go. I've slowly brought each piece of gear into the lightweight, at least, category, and don't carry any extra anything except for food (and not much of that). I use an old, plain-jane Golite Dawn pack, which has been discontinued, and have had it since 2005. It just keeps on going. I unroll a closed cell foam pad inside it, vertically, then stuff everything inside the cylinder. It carries very well. The one time I had it badly overloaded was when I carried over 35lbs. of gear and food into the Hundred Mile Wilderness (about 20# of the weight was food, with the food bag on top and sticking nearly a foot beyond the cinch cord). It carried terribly the first couple of days after which it got better and better. The last day before resupply was a breeze. It was like a dayhike. Lighten your load first, then your pack.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++