WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Do you still hang your food bag in the the winter ?

Actually have a two parted question -- In another month as colder weather settles in and the bears 'slumber' here in the east do you still practice hanging your food ?

...and

Is 550# Spectra Cord still considered the best rope for hanging that food bag ,and where is there a discounted on-line site to purchase that 40 feet of critter proctection ?
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

There are tons of places to buy 550 cord and its not that expensive...you should be able to get 50ft for under 5 bucks. You can find it in the camping section of Walmart or at an Army Surplus store or a million places online.

http://www.amazon.com/Parachute-Mili.../dp/B001B6LFLU

Images

In dead of winter I usually don't bother hanging, but for the next few months, shoulder season, yeah I would as a general rule.

As long as you have a reasonable size food bag, Mason's Cord works great. Very light, cheap, strong. I have a spool of hot pink cord that I use, easy to see in the woods. If I string some for a clothes line, I haven't forgotten to take it down yet.

There are different types of mason's cord, make sure you get the higher tensile strength.

Images

Thanks Lyle . I'm gonna get a spool and practice hanging this winter while hiking .

Hot pink , eh ? ....there's a real man !!!

Be careful... There's 'parachute cord' and then there's 'parachute cord.' There's cheap stuff and not so cheap stuff and the cheap stuff ain't so good, in my experience.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

You hang food for more reasons than just to protect against bears. Even in places where there are no bears, there are usually mice and other warm-blooded mammals that would enjoy an easy meal. And mice come out in the snow, even though it may be fatal for them (I recall seeing the tracks and finding one dead on the snow when I was backpacking). I found some mice also enjoyed chewing on the fingertips of my glove liners, where food particles had gathered as I had to keep the liners on while snacking and eating dinner. The only solution I had to that was to make sure they didn't chew holes in my jacket getting to the liners.

I had a lot of problems retrieving a food bag once during a bad storm, as the line was frozen to the tree branch. But hiker persistence prevailed. So if in doubt, hang, and if you can't find a good spot in the winter, hang your food bag in a less- ideal spot that's still away from you and the rest of your gear. It's much better to just lose some food than than to lose food and a backpack, or worse.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

This tread will surely start major altercations here on WB where so many people are constantly trying to force their opinions on others. Personally I don't care what others do as long as it doesn't affect me me ..BUT...I ALWAYS hang my food regardless of location, season, weather, or the opinions of others. AND my food has NEVER been eaten by any human or animal but myself. Case closed for me..PERIOD.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner View Post
    This tread will surely start major altercations here on WB where so many people are constantly trying to force their opinions on others. Personally I don't care what others do as long as it doesn't affect me me ..BUT...I ALWAYS hang my food regardless of location, season, weather, or the opinions of others. AND my food has NEVER been eaten by any human or animal but myself. Case closed for me..PERIOD.
    Well, I never hang my food AND my food has NEVER been eaten by any human or animal but myself. Case closed for me..PERIOD.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

2010 complete

yep, rodents don't hibernate.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    Well, I never hang my food AND my food has NEVER been eaten by any human or animal but myself. Case closed for me..PERIOD.
    I had a mouse eat thru my pant pocket for a candy wrapper that was left in the pocket. I basically just like getting it off the ground.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner View Post
    Well, I Sometimes hang my food and my food has never been eaten by a human or animal other than myself. Case Closed for me...Period.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Paracord is overkill on the AT-way too bulky. Alll you need is some 2mm cord. Remember to get a bit extra to cut for a clothes line.

Cheers!

Images

I put my food bag in my sleeping bag, so it stays warm and then I hang myself from a tall tree to make sure I don't get eaten. My food has never gotten cold and I've never gotten eaten. Case closed for me...Period.

Images

ditto..........
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

We had holes and food eaten by little critters while hanging from a bear cable overnight at Stover Creek shelter

A buddy of mine forgot he left a Snickers candy wrapper in his tent shelf one night. He woke up the next morning to find a mouse had chewed a quarter size hole through the dome of his tent to get to that wrapper.

Lesson learned.

Images

Well, I have always hung my food when bear poles are present , and rarely hung my food when they were not.
    I think it's a worthwhile skill to learn especially during thru hiker season in SNP when the bear poles are loaded by the time I hike into camp. There also is a large population of bear in the park and they're getting accustomed to interactions with humans and are becoming more bold.

I've been in both camps on this debate and still think it's a personal choice . Now ... case closed .

I'm far more worried about rodents than I am about bears. Well, most of the time anyways - these stories about SNP are a bit worrisome.

Images

I hang all the time so I don't eat all my good food at night

I just got back from two nights at Prince William Forest Park in Northern Virginia, and for the first time ever was advised by the rangers to hang my food because of increased bear activity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++