WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

planning to start the first week of june!!

Just sold my house. Im phanning on moving from Indiana to Florida. So now would be a good time to hike the AT between the moves. I want to start June 15 but need to get all the finances lined up first being a short notice idea. The ture start date will be moved if need be. Hope to see you all on the trail.

Any SOBOs heading through/near Medway on June 14th? I am trying to hitch a ride from Medway, where I'll be getting off the bus on the evening of June 13th. The local shuttle service wants $45 bucks for an hour ride; seems a little over-priced for a thru hiker's budget.

Happy planning to the MEGA class of '12!! Hopefully see ya'll on the trail.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by aldsmith3 View Post
    Any SOBOs heading through/near Medway on June 14th? I am trying to hitch a ride from Medway, where I'll be getting off the bus on the evening of June 13th. The local shuttle service wants $45 bucks for an hour ride; seems a little over-priced for a thru hiker's budget.

Aldsmith, try Maine Quest Adventures. Town Taxi is completely defunct and I contacted Bryant to get a ride in early June from Medway to Katahdin Stream Campground - it was $45 for the both of us, and he was real friendly, looking forward to meet him.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

I am starting Southbound June 1st look forward to seeing all of you there!
    Going South - Hiking the A.T. with a Brain Tumor - www.going-south.org
    2012 SOBO Trail Journal
    Facebook Fan Page
    Twitter: @beholderbill

Quote Originally Posted by aldsmith3 View Post
    Any SOBOs heading through/near Medway on June 14th? I am trying to hitch a ride from Medway, where I'll be getting off the bus on the evening of June 13th.
    The bus gets in about 7:45PM, almost 40 miles from the campground. The gate will probably be closed by the time you get there. That's why the AT Lodge does the bus-stop pick-up, stay and feed, shuttle to KSC the next day deal. I think it's $70. But that's better then being dropped off in the dark at the park gate 10 miles from Katahdin Stream vis a narrow dirt tote road. Some folks crash outside the park when the taxi drops them off, then try to hitch in the next morning.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Hey there, thinking about starting sometime mid-July myself. Let me know if you'd like to meet up.

Vanzetti

[email protected]

Aiming at a June 3rd SOBO. Also leaving from Central PA, and Boston Mass (hiking partner) on the 2nd of June. Haven't finalized travel plans yet, so if you are looking to carpool/commute send me a PM.

Its official july1st I'm out. SOBO. see you there!

Journal Entries

Have July 4-6 booked for b.s.p. hope to summit on the 5 th. Hope to see some of you on the trail.

Hello trail brothers and sisters! My name is Zach Day and I just came off active duty Army service in March. This is a perfect transition point in my life to take 4-6 months off. The way I see it is, if I don't do a thru-hike now, I'll realistically never do it! I'm using this hike as a fundraiser to raise awareness for the issue "Veteran Homelessness" (which is so much more prevalent than you may realize, 300-500 every night in Indianapolis alone) and to raise funds for an organization called Hoosier Veteran Assistance Foundation of Indiana (HVAF). HVAF houses, clothes, feeds, and rehabilitates 200 formerly homeless veterans from Central Indiana on any given night with 60 more homeless vets on the waiting list at any one time. This is an easy issue to be passionate about for a soldier fresh off of active duty! The hike is formally called "Hike for Hoosier Vets" Please help me spread the word and, at the least, please like my page on facebook! In a way I view my future trail family like I did my Army family... we gotta stick together.

www.facebook.com/hikeforhoosiervets
    www.hikeforhoosiervets.com
    twitter: @hikeforvets

Now to the hike details..... my family is going to drive me and my australian cattle dog, Seger to BSP and drop me off on 10JUN12 or 11JUN12. I will have various American Legion/VFW/VA events along the trail where there should ideally be a home cooked meal, transportation, and re-supply support. I will definitely share the wealth if this plan works as intended and invite anyone who may be on the trail with me at the time to enjoy these services. I will be wearing some bright colored shirts with my Twitter handle on the back so if you see me.... please tag along and lets enjoy some good convo. I'm a hammock camper from Indianapolis, IN.... if anyones from the area lets get together for a pre-hike somewhere in Indiana. Look forward to meeting as many of you as possible!

Zach

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks for your service Puppyhead. Hope to see you out there.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Stoked to hear about your project brother man. I'll be getting to Medford, ME around June 13. Perhaps I'll see you up that way! I still haven't figured out a ride from Medway to Katahdin.

Catch ya when I do...peace.

Quote Originally Posted by PUPPYHEAD View Post
    Hello trail brothers and sisters! My name is Zach Day and I just came off active duty Army service in March. This is a perfect transition point in my life to take 4-6 months off. The way I see it is, if I don't do a thru-hike now, I'll realistically never do it! I'm using this hike as a fundraiser to raise awareness for the issue "Veteran Homelessness" (which is so much more prevalent than you may realize, 300-500 every night in Indianapolis alone) and to raise funds for an organization called Hoosier Veteran Assistance Foundation of Indiana (HVAF). HVAF houses, clothes, feeds, and rehabilitates 200 formerly homeless veterans from Central Indiana on any given night with 60 more homeless vets on the waiting list at any one time. This is an easy issue to be passionate about for a soldier fresh off of active duty! The hike is formally called "Hike for Hoosier Vets" Please help me spread the word and, at the least, please like my page on facebook! In a way I view my future trail family like I did my Army family... we gotta stick together.

www.facebook.com/hikeforhoosiervets
    www.hikeforhoosiervets.com
    twitter: @hikeforvets

Now to the hike details..... my family is going to drive me and my australian cattle dog, Seger to BSP and drop me off on 10JUN12 or 11JUN12. I will have various American Legion/VFW/VA events along the trail where there should ideally be a home cooked meal, transportation, and re-supply support. I will definitely share the wealth if this plan works as intended and invite anyone who may be on the trail with me at the time to enjoy these services. I will be wearing some bright colored shirts with my Twitter handle on the back so if you see me.... please tag along and lets enjoy some good convo. I'm a hammock camper from Indianapolis, IN.... if anyones from the area lets get together for a pre-hike somewhere in Indiana. Look forward to meeting as many of you as possible!

Zach

Looking forward to my SoBo. wteason2's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wteason2 View Post
    Starting my sobo the second week of June. Can't wait! Taking amtrak to Bangor, shuttle or something to Baxter. I might go with the name "Mr. Mittens" that I got on an Outward Bound expedition last August. If week meet, ask me how I got it. Its probably not what you'd think.
    Alright, I'm no longer spending the weekend in my hometown. I now plan to start in Baxter on June 9th.

Picking up again in dalton, ma somewhere around the 1st of august. See everyone on the trail.

Well, I'm seriously considering becoming a fugutive of justice as my unsupervised probation will be in violation if I do endeavour a SOBO thru hike.. However, I don't suspect anyone will think too much of it... I'm looking for a ride to Katahdin and may have something lined up for the week of the 14th... I guess this will be my final farewell to the most beautiful town of Harpers Ferry... Any advice?

Who all is starting SOBO late in the season in Late July? Just trying to get an idea of who I may run into. I am flying to Bangor in sometime around July 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowan View Post
    Who all is starting SOBO late in the season in Late July? Just trying to get an idea of who I may run into. I am flying to Bangor in sometime around July 20.
    I'll be arriving in ME on the 24th...

Hello,

My name is Kyle, haven't posted in a while, but I have been planning and working hard to reach my arrival date at Katahdin Stream Campground on July 18th, and begin the trail on the 19th. Just thought I'd give a name to a face. My friend is driving me up there from Ohio, and hopefully we'll be cookin' some lobster and corn the night before heading up the mountain! I have a green Mountainsmith backpack and will be hiking solo after we come down from the mountain. I realize my 4 month goal is ambitious, but it's the only time I've got. Hopefully I'll meet some of you on the AT!

I believe I found the cheap plane ticket on the 18th, So I may be joining you on the 19th as a start date.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++