WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Am I going to freeze?

Going to hike north from Springer Mountain GA for a total of 5 days during thanksgiving break from school.

With that in mind we were planning on making a tarp shelter (probably tipi or tube tent) for shelter.

For bags we have fleece bags, was planning on using a space blanket for an inside liner as well as using one of those wool/poly blankets you can get from a army surplus store.

I imagine we will have to sleep in a jacket and some extra clothing than if we had a better bag however it is only for 5 days and being college students we dont have much money to invest in equipment.

I understand this will probably be not the most comfortable nights of sleep but is it just a blatantly bad idea? Or workable?

so I see around the time frame it will probably be between 30-50 degrees. Would this type of setup be ok?

Default Am I going to freeze?

Very good chance.

would using an actual tent make much of a difference? Have one its just heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    would using an actual tent make much of a difference? Have one its just heavy.
    If it has central heat you should be fine.

Images

A tent will be a few degrees warmer than sleeping under a tarp.

Campmor has some decent synthetic fill bags that aren't too expensive, like this one:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___68546

Even this bag might bust your budget. If you have to use blankets, bring two or three. You'll probably have a great time. You can look at the five-day forecast before you go. Maybe change your plans if it looks like an abnormal cold snap or lots of precip.

Journal Entries

If its dry and fairly warm, you would likely be OK. At least survive.

If its 33F and raining, you might die from exposure.

Or, anywhere else in between.

-

Default freeze

check second hand stores, ebay, this site's used etc should be able to get used 20 F synthetics for 20-30 $ each, if you do not find it post some WTB on forums, for the price of a few fast food meals why risk it?

Images

sleeping well can make a big difference with overall out come of your hike, if you aren't sleeping well its going to be hard to enjoy your hike...

check with your university, if they have an outdoor program they might have gear to rent, some outfitters also rent gear, gear swaps at outfitters are another good source for cheap gear (my first sleeping bag a few years ago was a used 20* that i got for $15), thrift stores are another place to look for used gear...
    walmart sells closed cell foam pads for like $15-20, be sure to get a pad to insulate you from the cold ground...

the article below has great hints for cheap gear:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ional&p=206678
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Don't use a space blanket, bring more clothing...

-tshirt
    -long sleeved shirt
    -long sleeved fleece
    -fleece or down vest
    -rain jacket

Lots of layers...

If you don't have a sleeping pad it won't matter...it will be like sleeping on a block of ice (the ground). The ground will suck the heat right out of you.

People used to go camping with far less/fancy equipment. If you're not braindead you're not going to freeze to death, you might just be very uncomfortable. Worst case scenariio you keep walking to stay warm and finish your trip in 3 days instead of 5.

Hey if your college has an athletic department, you can check to see if they have equipment that can be rented or borrowed. I recently found out my school has all sorts of camping equipment available for students to borrow.

+1 on renting gear. My school rented out equipment, and sometimes local outfitters rent gear.

I am doing the same trip with my son and a buddy. We are definitely taking tents. Our bags are 20 degree bags and we have silk liners for a few extra degrees. I have done trips (in the military) using a poncho for a tent and a very light "quilt" (poncho liner) to sleep in. It sucked. The one piece of advice I would give you is to take an extra tee shirt or two so that you always have a dry base layer when you stop for the night. We are starting on Saturday morning and hiking south from Woody to Amicalola, so we'll probably pass each other on the trail!

make sure you know how to use a hot water bottle

XCskiNYC thanks for the weather link. i am planning Dicks Creek gap to Fontana starting 10/19. I now have a better ideal of what to pack clothing wise.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by XCskiNYC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    so I see around the time frame it will probably be between 30-50 degrees. Would this type of setup be ok?
    Also keep in mind, its colder in higher elevation, most weather estimates/readings are for the towns nearby which tend to have lower elevation...
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiter View Post
    Also keep in mind, its colder in higher elevation, most weather estimates/readings are for the towns nearby which tend to have lower elevation...
    I think the adjustment is subtract three degrees for every thousand feet of increased elevation.

Images

If you were from New Hampshire or someplace, you might be ok. Being from Tampa, man, you're going to freeze. Seriously. Bad idea. A fleece blanket can work okay in the summer, but not at Thanksgiving. Borrow, rent, or buy inexpensive sleeping bags rated to 20F. Buy a "blue foam pad" a Wal-Mart to sleep on -- the insulation is *required* that time of year.

Your tarp idea is fine. The tipi style is much better than a tube style.

Good luck.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

You could test your sleeping system in advance by sleeping out in your yard or porch. If you are too cold at home, you will probably be too cold on the trail.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++