Default November 4 Pat's Island or Juniper Springs to Hidden Pond.

I will be hiking the Juniper Springs to Hidden Pond and back, to help get in shape for the Appalachian Trail. Has anyone ever parked at Pat's Island? It isn't secure, like Juniper Springs, just making sure it'll be safe to park the truck there. Anyone game for the hike?

I have parked there a few times for day hikes and one overnighter. I have never had any trouble. It gets a lot of use from what I have seen. Remember, it is 2 miles off the main highway, so it is not like someone is going to drive by and see the vehicle as a target of opportunity. I have not hesitated when I parked there. Enjoy your hike.

i have done juniper to hidden pond numerous times.

i always park at the overnight parking in juniper springs state park. $10 - or it was some time ago - haven't done it in several years. never had a problem.

enjoy the hike.

TV

I park there all the time and never had a problem. I go out there all the time and might be out there on the 4th. I'll let you know if I will be able to get away from work in time. As for getting in shape for the AT, the best thing to do is run with the pack. You'll still get your arse kicked with the mountains(totally different muscle group for climbing), but your stamina will get you through it until your legs get used to working a different way.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vfherman View Post
    I will be hiking the Juniper Springs to Hidden Pond and back, to help get in shape for the Appalachian Trail. Has anyone ever parked at Pat's Island? It isn't secure, like Juniper Springs, just making sure it'll be safe to park the truck there. Anyone game for the hike?
    Hate to be the person to tell you this but any part of the FT is not never going to prepair you for the AT my friend. I met you at the outfitter in Apopka once, while you bought a new pack. That is the year I hike a very good portion of the AT, 1835 miles of it. Let me tell you nothing in FL compairs to the AT down here dude. Good luck, also you said you were hiking the AT last year when I met you waht happen?
    I don't know

GeneralLee10, first off, you sure that was me in Apopka? Simply beacuase I have no clue to where Apopka is, so I doubt you met me there. I have only been in Florida for 10 years. And as for preping for hiking the AT, I made the decision on my 37th birthday which was this past January, so maybe you have me confused with someone else. I know Florida is nothing compared to the AT, having grown up between the Palmerton and Delaware Water Gap sections of the AT, and hiking it, it is better than nothing. But hey, thanks for the input anyway.

it's always a little off putting for folks to be snide on a hiking forum. Geez

V, don't worry about your car being parked at Pat's Island. I have left my old 4Runner there many times, with never a problem. The sand hills going south to Hidden Pond are more of a work out than most folks think.

hike on, brother.

Images

How do you get to Pat's Island. Is it off 19? I might be interested in joining you out there.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Yep, Its just off 19 about 3/4 of a mile north of the Yearling Trail parking lot.

Oops, sorry, hit submit too soon, anyway, go 3/4 of a mile north of the Yearling Trail, you will see a small sign marked "Pat's Island Trailhead" pointing down a clay road. This is old forest road 10, I believe they renamed it forest road 26. Anyway, go down that road for about 3 miles, its rather narrow, so keep your speed down due to possible oncoming traffic. You will find the trailhead parking marked by a sign on your right hand side. The Florida Trail leads to Hidden Pond to the left(south) and Salt Springs to the right(north)>

Gray Blazer, you are more than welcome to hop in the truck with me, since I will be coming through Gainesville anyway. I have been to Pat's Island once before, and there isn't much parking space. Didn't stick around that long, didn't have my gear with me. Go ahead and e-mail me at [email protected], with "Pat's Island" in the subject line if you wish to come.

And thanks to all who responded. Forgot to add that in the last post......................Appreciate the responses.

++ New Posts ++