WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Any reviews on the Evernew Appalachian [cook] Set?

I made a homemade pop can stove, and it works well, but it scares me to death to light it on anything but a flat rock. My priming pan is simply a can lid. It's possible I'd feel better if I used the bottom of large beer can or something.

Plus, I have to admit that I'm overly fond of being clean; and I figure the wood burning aspect of the stove will let me heat water for bathing without having to carry extra fuel on a through hike.

This set looks pretty neat to me. Any experience with it?

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/p...an_set_eca258/
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

I also saw that and thought it was very nice, but there is no way I would spend that much no matter how good the reviews are.

There are many homemade pot supports that will make your stove safer and more stable. Look for pictures here and on you tube and I am sure you will see something you like and can make.

My simple solution is a coffee can lid that I pin to the ground with tent pegs around the outside edge. It gives me a flat clean place for the stove and the rim is just enough to keep the wind screen in place. A small stick or rock is enough to level the platform and a cup of water makes a fine way to see when I have it just right. When the ground is cold, I place a small cork disk covered with foil under the burner.

Kinda looks like just a less efficient version of the caldera cone to me...? It saves a lot of weight by not needing the caddy to carry it since everything fits inside the pot, but the new ti-tri sidewinders can apparently do the same thing. Also it says "mug boils 2 cups of water" which means it's probably ~500ml which is pretty small unless you're doing freezer bag cooking. I don't have any experience with it but I <3 my ti-tri.

++ New Posts ++