WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Sawyer 3-way inline water filter

Anyone run one of these off their water blatter? One could drink through the filter and not have to pump or treat water. Just fill up the blatter and suck throught the drinking tube. As for food you boil water most of the time anyway. Comments on this system....

Images

I don't know about that system, but you might want to check out the SP131.

Journal Entries

I recently purchased the SP131 squeeze filter. i will be using it the first time this weekend. I will let you know how it works out. 3oz. is hard to beat with the flexibility of this thing if it works as described.

Billie Blazes

I've used a Sawyer filter for a couple of years and love it. I primarily use it with a water bag that I hang from a branch at camp and with an inline shut-off I can use it like fawcett. When I need water I open the shut-off and use only what I need. I've also used it when I'm walking along the trail with a gatorade bottle. I collect water in the bottle then walk along with the Sawyer hose inserted into the bottle and drink just as I would with a can of Coke and a straw.

Usually everyday I use left over water in my water bag to "back flush" the filter to keep it as clean as possible. I got mine at Wally World ...it comes with a Nalgene sized bottle that may be a liitle to heavy for the average long distance hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman y2k View Post
    I've used a Sawyer filter for a couple of years and love it. I primarily use it with a water bag that I hang from a branch at camp and with an inline shut-off I can use it like fawcett.
    What kind of water bag do you use?

The SP131 (Sawyer Squeeze) comes with .5L, 1L and 2L bags.

@ Odd Man Out .....I use a Platypus Water Tank. http://www.backcountry.com/platypus-platy-water-tank

Images

I'm going to run this filter off a MSR Hydromedry Hydration 3L. bag. Wanted to hear how the draw would be through the tube. This could replace my hand pump system if it works correctly. If clean water is put into the blatter, no floaties, I would think this would last quiet a long time. Let ya'll know how it works out! Hey Ironman Y2K how easy is it to suck water through this filter while drinking out of the bottle?

I just finished the AT and used the sawyer 3 way for most of it ever since my steripen crapped out. I used it as a gravity filter and switched over to using it inline when my girlfriend got off in NH with foot issues.

I'm a fan of using it both ways. When using it inline I'd hang my platypus from a nail at night so I could use it as a gravity filter to make dinner.

Journal Entries

I switched out the Sawyer bags for my Platypus Bags which are more durable and I like the way I can attach them better. I also saw a link on sectionhiker where a pre-filter for the Aqua-Mira Frontier Pro was used to help reduce wear and tear on the filter and keep the intake free from debris when carrying it during longer hikes.

Billie Blazes

Quote Originally Posted by wwbriggs View Post
    I switched out the Sawyer bags for my Platypus Bags which are more durable and I like the way I can attach them better.
    Yeah, I definitely just bought the filter and hooked it up to a platypus bag.

Quote Originally Posted by wwbriggs View Post
    I also saw a link on sectionhiker where a pre-filter for the Aqua-Mira Frontier Pro was used to help reduce wear and tear on the filter and keep the intake free from debris when carrying it during longer hikes.
    I'll have to look into that. As a gravity filter it didn't seem like the lack of a prefilter was that big of a deal because the big stuff would settle to the bottom and the water hose was placed slightly above there. However with the inline setup my hiking would keep the water stirred up and a prefilter would likely have a significant impact on how often I need to backflush.

Images

What kind of pre filter could be used?

Yeah....wwbriggs, do you mean that somebody shoved that cotton ball looking thing down into the sawyer 3 way?

@ Bloomer... No effort to suck water thru hose attached to filter. When I use as gravity feed from my water bag I use the foam acorn shaped prefilter from my old Katahdin Hiker filter so I don't have to worry about "floaters"

Thanks for this post guys I was going through the same thing

Images

Trying to think of something that could be put between the blatter and the filter to prevent "floaters" from getting into the filter. The oz. of prevention to make the filter last longer. Maybe a peace of spunge in the hose. Any ideas...?

@ Ironman Y2K great idea with the acorn for the gravity filter.

I've considered a small nylon mesh bag inside the reservoir covering the opening to the outlet tube. If there was some kind of tube connector that protruded into the interior of the bag (wasn't flush), you could attach to that.

Images

I followed my own recommendation for the Sawyer SP131 lastnight and placed an order for one of my own. It'll go on a long hike later this week. I'll report back about it sometime next month.

Awesome leaftye, the only thing I'd warn you about having come across this article is don't do what this guy did: http://sectionhiker.com/sawyer-inline-water-filter/

A quirk of these hollow fiber filters is that air doesn't pass through them very well. Actually the test to see if your filter is damaged is seeing if you can blow air through the filter: http://media.cascadedesigns.com/pdf/...ilter_test.pdf

As such if you try and suck water through while the filter and dirty side of the hose are full of water, you're going to get a whole lot of nothing.

*facepalm*

That last sentence should have read:

As such if you try and suck water through while the filter and dirty side of the hose are full of AIR, you're going to get a whole lot of nothing.

Sorry, apparently it's time to stop the late night posting by headlamp and get to bed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++