WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Merino Wool VS Polartec Power Dry

Merino Wool VS Polartec Power Dry, Which do you prefer and why?
    I am a sectional hiker and also a hunter. I have under Armour cold gear right now 2.0 base layer, i also use UA cold gear smocks i wear alot. They are Ok, but sometimes i am still chilly after a hike. I am looking for a good base layer that will keep me warm and dry no matter how cold.
    I am a sweater no matter what, its in my genes. so i need something that is wicking and will keep me warm. What do you perfer and why?

Images

I love my Icebreaker brand wool pieces - in real cold weather, I wear an Icebreaker mid weight as a bottom layer with a ArcTeryx Fleece over it. For 3 season backpacking, I'm afraid mid weight fleece (my favorite is a Marmot) is just a little lighter than the wool and typically gets the call.

I've used polypropylene, polyester, and wool, and find that polypropylene holds the least moisture, but the most stink, wool holds the least stink, but the most moisture (but is also the most comfortable over a wide temperature range), and polyester is in the middle, and is generally very affordable. Very stretchy form fitting undergarments usually have higher quantities of spandex (nylon) which holds moisture and, to me, makes this type of garment less comfortable. Marino wool with a bit of nylon to keep it from getting baggy when wet is what I look for on sale (and seldom find it, especially this time of year).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I wear merino wool as an upper base layer in winter, spring, summer, and fall. I am wearing an Icebreaker Hopper in my avatar pic.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Icebreaker is expensive.... WOW
    Does name really matter? As long as it 100% Merino Wool, i think you are paying for the name fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Saffirre8 View Post
    Does name really matter? As long as it 100% Merino Wool, i think you are paying for the name fellas.
    I'm not sure if all merino wool is equal. I have been 100% pleased with Icebreaker's products. It is not worth it to me to experiment around. YMMV

Images

I like the wool much better, no stink.

Images

Sorry - all wool is not the same - I will not buy chinese wool because they trash the environment and have no connection to the land - - check out the icebreaker website and understand the "high cost of low price" - you only need one for crying out loud - get a good one. Maybe the best way to "vote" is with your wallet so ---- I am OBVIOUSLY NOT paying for the name - I cut the tags out of my clothes - almost always - " the cheap man / woman spends the most!"
    www.icebreaker.com

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Saffirre8 View Post
    My opinion is it does not matter. I have icebreaker that I was fortunate to find on sale, but I also have MEC(Canadian REI) brand and they are equal to me. I actually wear my MEC brand more than the icebreaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Merino wool with a bit of nylon to keep it from getting baggy when wet is what I look for on sale (and seldom find it, especially this time of year).
    What are some brands/manufactures who makes clothing like that?

Images

This is my favorite fleece: http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx...Zip#Mid_Weight
    AGAIN - Icebreaker brand wool is best for backpacking wool

Quote Originally Posted by Jason762 View Post
    What are some brands/manufactures who makes clothing like that?
    I was surprised to find out that my Terramar didn't have any nylon. It says "100% Merino wool". I bought it at Campmor. I guess it holds its shape without the nylon. Maybe I was thinking of my socks?
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I like merino wool for activities and for use in a sleeping bag.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I've owned a lot of Merino Wool clothing and would say IceBreaker and SmartWool are the best. I usually love MEC products but I've put holes in every piece of Merino clothing I've bought from them. Merino is really expensive but worth the money I think. All my hiking friends wear synthetics like Under Armour and they are constantly replacing them because they stink and wear out. When I thru-hiked we'd go 5-7 days without doing laundry, my wool clothing would smell better unwashed than their synthetics would straight out of the washing machine. I still wear all my Merino from that hike and most of theirs is sitting at the bottom of a landfill site.

This is my experience with merino wool as well. I just cannot make the shirt stink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Nvhu4kgjk

++ New Posts ++