WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Stainless steel tends to dull fast. I carry a small diamond rod sharpener, might be an ounce, and I can put a razor edge on all my knives.

Images

I bought this SUPER COOL knife for the trail! It's the best!http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-0007.../dp/B003R0LSMO

Quote Originally Posted by Miami Joe View Post
    I bought this SUPER COOL knife for the trail! It's the best!http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-0007.../dp/B003R0LSMO
    Too heavy, serrations suck, Gerber knives generally aren't all that great. I won't go into Bear.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ohh why not lets talk about Bear Gry.... He put his foot in his mouth and name to a knife... and now there have been production issues.... but its better than swiss... Right?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I want a boot knife. Anyone got any recomendations?

Journal Entries
    Images

Hmm Big trouble in Little China.... almost all boot knives are throwing balanced knives.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post

Hmm Big trouble in Little China.... almost all boot knives are throwing balanced knives.
    Well I hope I'm not required to have a mullet in order to use one!

I carry a small razor blade knife that detracts into a plastic body for safe storage. I find them at hardware stores and dollar stores. When the blade gets dull I snap off that piece of blade. They are cheap and light. Skip the multiple-tool unless you have lots of things that will need fixing.

Journal Entries
    Images

SE google throwing knifes and hit images then take the shortcut to what you want....

I have yet to find a technique to throwing them, I currently work with someone who is showing me the basics.

Woo

Images

The Bear Grylles (sp?) post was a joke. On a serious note, does anyone carry a small axe while backpacking? I've always thought it was too heavy but my friencd and first hiking buddy (rest in peace, Brett) always brought an axe and it came in handy for chopping fire wood. He used to love building fires.

An axe/hatchet would certainly come in handy if someone else was carrying it. Gerber/Fiskar makes one with a nice nylon handle.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miami Joe View Post
    The Bear Grylles (sp?) post was a joke. On a serious note, does anyone carry a small axe while backpacking? I've always thought it was too heavy but my friencd and first hiking buddy (rest in peace, Brett) always brought an axe and it came in handy for chopping fire wood. He used to love building fires.
    cant think of any reason at all to have an ax on the trail.when gathering firewood, you're not splitting logs. I guess in the backcountry it might come in handy of you had to build a shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    but its better than swiss... Right?
    Doubtful. I have been carrying a swiss army knife for years without any issues. Lately, I carry a Folts minimalist for my fixed blade, 2" blade and weighs about 1.5oz, and sturdy enough to baton small stuff for kindling. This is probably the best fixed blade I have found, as far as weight and utility, it is well designed and very handy for such a small knife. Got one for about $20 off ebay.

Journal Entries
    Images

Nah TB I went on a bender with the last Knife thread... Roughly my take was if you were making a survival fuzz stick in soaking wet weather the Swiss would dull very fast in wood. Strangely the Leatherman outperforms this simple task without resharpening.

Woo

Now that's funny right there...
    "I'm your Huckleberry..."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++