WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default When you resupply, what's in your food bag?

I'm planning on going NOBO in mid-feb. and i'm still trying to figure out what food works best in terms of weight and calories.

can anyone give me a sample list of what's in your food bag after resupplying that worked well, and maybe some tips on what to avoid? i've heard you should have about 4 days worth of food in your pack after resupply, is this accurate?

You need to have enough food to get to the next town. May be 4 days. May be less. May be more. 6 days is my preference. Depends on your pace and the distance to the next town you want to resupply in.

Images

I only boil water so, Mnt House Diners (600+ cal), Oatmeal with dehydrated apples + pop tarts w/hot chocolate for breakfast (700 cal), snacks through out the day = snickers, beef jerky, peanut butter crackers, powdered gatorade and a romen noodles if hiking in real cold weather all this is about 2500 cal a day.

Images

Oatmeal / FD or dehydrated fruit for breakfast with coffee or hot chocolate. Cheese, pepperoni, beef stick, peanut butter on some type of crackes or bread for lunch with a lot of snacks: snickers, gorp, fruit & granola bars. For dinner Knoor noodles or rice maybe with a foil pack of meat thrown in & some veggies. Desserts once I get my trail legs:Pudding, popcorn, or cobbler made w/fd fruit sugar & bread crumbs. Look in food & cooking section lots of good links on here.

Images

Default re: When you resupply, what's in your food bag?

Breakfast items: Instant oatmeal, dried/dehydrated fruit, fig bars, hot chocolate

Lunch/snacks: meat sticks, cheese sticks, dry salami, tortillas

Dinner items: Pork ramen, tuna packets, instant rice mixes, Knorr noodle mixes

I may also buy more individual per-moistened wipes and ziplocks

I may also get a fresh orange or banana for day 1 or 2. Bananas I store inside my rolled foam pad and plug the pad ends with my pack cover or a trash bag. Empty plastic Pringles cans also protect bananas.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Dont forget the Rice Krispy Treats, can't get much lighter than that.

Breakfast - cereal (either granola or raisin bran) and dried milk, coffee
    lunch - eng. muffins or tortillas and cheese or peanut butter
    dinner - pasta or rice dishes, stuffing, couscous or mashed potatoes with tuna, salmon, ham, spam, cheese or sausage mixed in
    snacks: gorp, cookies (oreos or fig newtons pack well), chocolate, granola bars, pop tarts, dried fruit, sugar free Koolaid, tea
    When I use a white gas stove, I make instant soup and hot chocolate. If I'm doing alcohol, I don't.

Breakfast - Oatmeal which can be doctored up with any or all of the following: cinnamon, butter, brown sugar, nuts, dried fruit, maple syrup (my luxury item - repackage in plastic).
    Or Quaker Oat square cereal / grape nuts, if I don't feel like cooking breakfast. I swear I could live on quaker oat squares.
    Lunch - BP and strawberry jam on tortillas (BP is the ultimate hiking food - high calories per pound, low dollars per pound, nice balance of carbs, protein and oil, available everywhere, doesn't spoil).
    Snacks - whatever, but prefer trail mix with nuts and dried fruit (dried cherries are the best, but cost $$$). See also Quaker oat squares above.
    Dinner - Zaterain's black beans and rice, or home made Dahl Bhat (rice and lentils). Season with curry. Add some meat if possible.
    Coffee for breakfast (brewed - instant is evil)
    Jasmine green tea for after dinner (This can be hard to find, so when available I buy a lot to last a long time - it doesn't weigh much).
    Have been known to carry a cardboard bottle of red wine for the first night or two out. Or a beer (if good beer in a can is available - hard to find).

Garlic
    Images

Go for a decent mixture of carbs (about 100 cal/oz) and fats (about 200 cal/oz). Obviously fats are more energy-effective, but you can't (or shouldn't) live on butter and olive oil alone. I think most hikers average about 130-140 cal/oz average. My carbs are rolled oats, instant potatoes, wheat noodles, tortillas, dried and fresh fruit, cookies and crackers. My fats are cheese, peanut butter, tree nuts (cashews and walnuts) and the shortening in the tortillas, cookies and crackers. I also carry as much "healthy" stuff as I can, like a piece of fresh veg every day (carrot, pepper, celery stalk). I also usually carry some dinner leftovers or a deli sandwich for the first day.

I don't really buy meals when I resupply--I buy bulk stuff, repackage it into ziplocks, and eat out of the bags. I buy one pound for every 10 trail miles. An average AT resupply for me was 60 to 70 miles, so I just made sure my food bag weighed between six and seven pounds leaving town and that was plenty for me. It worked out to about two pounds and over 4000 calories per day. The most I carried on the AT was nine pounds for the Hundred Mile Wilderness and I walked into Abol Bridge with an empty food bag--perfect. I needed to supplement with heavy eating in towns, but I did not loose more than few pounds at any time on the AT. I gained weight in the mid-Atlantic.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

++ New Posts ++