WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Blaze Orange

Even with blaze orange clothing the hunters can still get you.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeSession View Post
    It's firearm season here in SC. LOTS of people walking around with big guns just begging for anything to move to shoot at. Most also have high power 4 wheelers and race up and down the logging roads. Blaze orange is ugly to wear but worth it.

I'll also point out that in my area (and maybe yours) it's all fine and legal to hunt and shoot wild boar, coyote, pest animals, and some small game ANYTIME during the year and I think with a long gun or even pistol. So be aware that it's not just during hunting season that we need to keep a eye out.

I'm wearing Blaze orange the rest of the year but don't during 'off season'. But it's a good idea to be alert all the time.
    Very good point. It's the same in Utah. There's a bounty paid by the state for coyotes (pronounced kai' yotes by many in the small towns). They just have to cut off the ear and bring it in to get paid. I will wear my orange, or at least something bright and unnatural, when I hike.

Quote Originally Posted by slims View Post
    Even with blaze orange clothing the hunters can still get you.
    Too funny. I just spit my coffee all over my desk.

It's certainly true that the techie fabric people and blaze orange don't seem to meet easily, although Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's are carrying more techie fabric stuff all the time, and LL Bean still has feet in both the hunter and preppie camps. I have a great Under Armour orange long sleeve baselayer shirt but was unable to find it again (always good to have at least two), they changed to be more form fitting which isn't good for me :O . My wife got me an orange UA hoodie that is an amazing second layer, I'll wear it in shoulder season even when orange isn't as necessary. Woolrich has gone more techie (got a great half micro wool/half polypro shirt recently there) but in doing so they seem to have thrown orange under the bus. Those Yankees who don't want to be supporting the Longhorns or Vols could always support Syracuse, not sure if this is same fabric as the hoodie I have: http://bookweb.syr.edu/ePOS?this_cat...ehtml&design=1

I recently picked up a blaze orange buff. Keep the ol' noggin warm and hopefully I'll finish up with the same number of holes I started with.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Hunting or taking of deer is not allowed on the AT - they can use the AT to travel to their respective Game Land...
    This is absolutely false. There is no restriction to hunting on or near the AT when it is located on State Game Lands or State Forest, where much of The AT is located in PA. The only part of the AT where there are restrictions related to hunting that I am aware of are the lands that were purchased by the Federal Government for the purpose of preserving the AT, which are marked by white and green U.S. boundry markers.

So if you feel the need to wear a blaze orange cap - feel free - but its not necessary.
    This is also false. If you are a non-hunter/trapper using State Game Lands between Nov. 15 and Dec. 15. excluding Sundays, you are required to wear at least 250 sq.in. of blaze orange

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    In other words, I have to wear hunter orange b/c they are not 100% sure I should be fired upon??!! LMAO!!

Unless required by law(passed b/c of hunters mistakes of killing each other or non hunters), I never wear blaze orange!! If they are not 100% it is an animal to be fired upon, they shouldn't even have the weapon raised in the first place.
    That is your choice. I agree but I know there are those one or two arse clowns out there that shoot first look later. I wear orange anytime the hunters are in the woods out of respect for them. i'm no fan of the orange mind you i just want quietly let a hunter know there is another human over here so shoot the other direction.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Quote Originally Posted by bronconite View Post
    This is absolutely false. There is no restriction to hunting on or near the AT when it is located on State Game Lands or State Forest, where much of The AT is located in PA. The only part of the AT where there are restrictions related to hunting that I am aware of are the lands that were purchased by the Federal Government for the purpose of preserving the AT, which are marked by white and green U.S. boundry markers.

This is also false. If you are a non-hunter/trapper using State Game Lands between Nov. 15 and Dec. 15. excluding Sundays, you are required to wear at least 250 sq.in. of blaze orange
    And after having received a fine many moons ago when I lived in PA that 250sq inches must include a hat. The dude dinged me bcause I didn't have an orange hat on...seriously.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman View Post
    And after having received a fine many moons ago when I lived in PA that 250sq inches must include a hat. The dude dinged me bcause I didn't have an orange hat on...seriously.
    58 Pa.Code 135.41(c) Additional prohibitions. In addition to the prohibitions contained in the act pertaining to State game lands and § 135.2, except with the written permission of the Director, it is unlawful to: * * * (21) Except on Sundays, be present on State game lands from November 15 through December 15 inclusive when not engaged in lawful hunting or trapping and fail to wear a minimum of 250 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange-colored material on the head, chest and back combined or, in lieu thereof, a hat of the same colored material. The material shall be worn so it is visible in a 360° arc. Persons using shooting ranges are exempted from this requirement.

Quoted from http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/05...bchapCtoc.html but you have to scroll down far enough.

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

To Blaze or not to Blaze?

Two cautionary tales:

My then wife and I were riding two very large horses through the woods during a sunny day during the hunting season here in Maryland. I was wearing a blaze orange down vest. When the first rifle went off, it was hard to tell where it had been fired from. When a bullet hit the tree next to where we were riding we both stared yelling at the top of our lungs and galloped behind a stand of trees.

While I was living in VA there were a couple of "incidents." Once incident involved a hunter looking for deer in a posted "No Hunting/Animal Preserve." http://www.truecrimereport.com/2009/..._worlds_du.php

The hunter lived in the area and was well aware that the local college (located a short distance away) owned the area and used it daily for ecology/biology classes. The short version is that the hunter used (what it is called in WI anyway) "sound location" to identify that a potential deer was nearby (Duh, it it makes sounds in the woods, it just must be a deer!)...he then shot and wounded a male college student with one shot. A bullet then killed the female college student who was in the woods along with her study partner.

The hunter was convicted and he had to serve a whooping 12 months in jail. How is that for sending a message to hunters who shoot before they confirm their targets?
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

Images

About 5 to 10 miles as the crow flies from me (over the ridge), a 31 year old hunter from MA,, hunting with family members (local I believe) was killed by another hunter in Lisbon, NH Wednesday on opening day of deer (rifle) season. The shooter is a yet to be named 48 year old NH resident. The police and county DA are still investigating. http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/newss...victim-of.html

Another guy was shot in the butt up in Pittsfield. He'll apparently be okay. Lucky the bullet didn't hit a major artery.

Just isn't any GD excuse for these "accidents". I hunted for years. Never, ever, saw a person that looked like a deer. Bunch of reckless idiots running around the woods with guns shooting at anything that moves or makes a noise. No better in my book than a damn drunk driver killing somebody. Lock em up.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

ain' nuthin' butta' peanut hambone5126's Avatar
    Images

why the hate for blaze orange?! my favorite winter hat is a super rad bright orange Volcom beanie that i wear whether its hunting season or not. maybe im just cool like that
    It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.
    -Sir Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by hambone5126 View Post
    why the hate for blaze orange?! my favorite winter hat is a super rad bright orange Volcom beanie that i wear whether its hunting season or not. maybe im just cool like that
    Not just cool, but smart. We always think of hunting season as Deer & Bear firearms season, but truth is there is a season for some animal virtually all year here in GA.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    Not just cool, but smart. We always think of hunting season as Deer & Bear firearms season, but truth is there is a season for some animal virtually all year here in GA.
    It is the same in PA. There is always an open season on something. Coyotes can be hunted 24/7 365, including Sundays.

Images

I was out over the weekend and wore a blaze orange cap and had a bright red bandana on the back of my pack (didnt have time to get a blaze orange pack cover). I hiked the Wingdale-Pawling area on the AT for a few days. Day 2 I ran into a bow hunter. Totally glad I wore my blaze orange.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bronconite View Post

Ok I am glad you have called me on it.... However, the AT is well Marked at regular intervals in Game Land at the Pinnacle and the Pulpit. I will attempt to retrieve that data and photos... And I still say this is stupid - and FYI -- I hope the Gov rescinds the Sunday Blue Law - so keep in mind I am not here to argue - but looking for good information.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Bronconite: Thank's Yea you owe me 2 hours of my life back. Dunderhead.

Source

National Park Service Appalachian Trail Lands

As part of the program to secure the route of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail, in Pennsylvania the National Park Service purchased outright lands that the A.T. either crossed or could be relocated to. NPS owns a belt of land crossing the Cumberland Valley east of Carlisle, and occasional chunks of mountain land along the A.T., connecting State Forest and State Game Land north and east of Harrisburg.

The Appalachian Trail Conference, through its Mid-Atlantic Regional Office in Boiling Springs and Trail-maintaining clubs such as SATC and CVATC, monitor conditions on and boundaries of these lands. A National Park Ranger in Boiling Springs will enforce rules on these lands upon discovery of an adverse condition by the ridgerunner or volunteers.
    These rules are:
    No ATV’s, horses, or bikes
    No hunting

No car camping

Backpack camping generally allowed (rules on the map again)

Boundaries marked with yellow blazes and “A.T. Boundary” witness posts.

National Forest

The closest National Forests to Harrisburg are in VA, WV, and NY. Then there is one in northwest PA. They say trails are maintained by paid staff, and you can camp anywhere. Not around here!

Private land

Pennsylvania’s hiking trails sometimes cross or use private land, generally to connect trails on nearby public lands. Some examples are:
    Horse-Shoe Trail – crosses numerous tracts of private mountain land, and lands of the Milton Hershey School Trust
    Conestoga Trail and Mason-Dixon Trail – cross occasional farms, and also use land owned by power companies near the lower Susquehanna River in York and Lancaster Counties

Tuscarora Trail – crosses privately owned mountain land north of Carlisle, and in western Franklin County

Nearly all of these trails lack easements giving permanent right of passage, so the trail can be thrown off at any time by the landowner. This has happened many times on the Horse-Shoe Trail where the guidebook cautions you to follow the blazes carefully, regardless of what the guidebook or maps say.
    General rules for hiking across private land are:
    Stay on trail

No vehicles, ATV’s, horses, or bikes (all of which the owner probably uses himself so be very careful you’re not talking to the owner if you confront a rider, he pays the taxes and the mortgage and you don’t)

Respect owners’ property and privacy (one trail was closed when hikers set up for a picnic lunch on the front lawn of the owners’ house, and refused to move when the owner asked them to)

Don’t pick up anything or leave anything behind (this goes for all trails, but especially on private land where one indiscretion can result in the trail being closed forever)

No camping

No fires

No alcohol

Stay off private land during fall hunting season

No hunting (that’s for you, the owners’ cousins probably hunt it)
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I had my pack cover on last week thru the smokies - I just kept it on down to the NOC - it's yellowish orange -- didn't get shot. Pretty scared of people with guns though - much rather deal with bears and icy creek crossings - much more reliable

Images

Ok I am glad you have called me on it.... However, the AT is well Marked at regular intervals in Game Land at the Pinnacle and the Pulpit. I will attempt to retrieve that data and photos....
    Looking at my KTA AT maps it seems that Pulpit Rock is located on Hamburg Watershed Lands and the Pinnacle looks to be located on private land Just outside of the Watershed Lands. In fact it looks like the Majority of the AT between Port Clinton and Eckville is located on Hamburg Watershed Lands and NPS land, so I have no doubt there are signs in that area. It does cross State Game Lands also. The signs are most likely located at the transition from one to the other.

And I still say this is stupid
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion

and FYI -- I hope the Gov rescinds the Sunday Blue Law - so keep in mind I am not here to argue - but looking for good information.
    I don't consider this arguing

Images

Bronconite: Thank's Yea you owe me 2 hours of my life back. Dunderhead.

Source

National Park Service Appalachian Trail Lands

As part of the program to secure the route of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail, in Pennsylvania the National Park Service purchased outright lands that the A.T. either crossed or could be relocated to. NPS owns a belt of land crossing the Cumberland Valley east of Carlisle, and occasional chunks of mountain land along the A.T., connecting State Forest and State Game Land north and east of Harrisburg.

The Appalachian Trail Conference, through its Mid-Atlantic Regional Office in Boiling Springs and Trail-maintaining clubs such as SATC and CVATC, monitor conditions on and boundaries of these lands. A National Park Ranger in Boiling Springs will enforce rules on these lands upon discovery of an adverse condition by the ridgerunner or volunteers.
    These rules are:
    No ATV’s, horses, or bikes
    No hunting

No car camping

Backpack camping generally allowed (rules on the map again)

Boundaries marked with yellow blazes and “A.T. Boundary” witness posts.

National Forest

The closest National Forests to Harrisburg are in VA, WV, and NY. Then there is one in northwest PA. They say trails are maintained by paid staff, and you can camp anywhere. Not around here!

Private land

Pennsylvania’s hiking trails sometimes cross or use private land, generally to connect trails on nearby public lands. Some examples are:
    Horse-Shoe Trail – crosses numerous tracts of private mountain land, and lands of the Milton Hershey School Trust
    Conestoga Trail and Mason-Dixon Trail – cross occasional farms, and also use land owned by power companies near the lower Susquehanna River in York and Lancaster Counties

Tuscarora Trail – crosses privately owned mountain land north of Carlisle, and in western Franklin County

Nearly all of these trails lack easements giving permanent right of passage, so the trail can be thrown off at any time by the landowner. This has happened many times on the Horse-Shoe Trail where the guidebook cautions you to follow the blazes carefully, regardless of what the guidebook or maps say.
    General rules for hiking across private land are:
    Stay on trail

No vehicles, ATV’s, horses, or bikes (all of which the owner probably uses himself so be very careful you’re not talking to the owner if you confront a rider, he pays the taxes and the mortgage and you don’t)

Respect owners’ property and privacy (one trail was closed when hikers set up for a picnic lunch on the front lawn of the owners’ house, and refused to move when the owner asked them to)

Don’t pick up anything or leave anything behind (this goes for all trails, but especially on private land where one indiscretion can result in the trail being closed forever)

No camping

No fires

No alcohol

Stay off private land during fall hunting season

No hunting (that’s for you, the owners’ cousins probably hunt it)
    Dunderhead? You're Funny. It appears from this post of yours you think you've found some information that you think shows that hunting is not allowed on the AT. I assure you, that is not the case. The first part of your post, where you have bolded activities not permitted, is describing regulations for NPS lands, not all of the trail. Here is something I found on ATC's website

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...ations-permits

Is hunting permitted on the A.T.?

Hunting is allowed—as long as the hunter observes state laws and regulations—along more than half of the Appalachian Trail's length, including some part of all fourteen Trail states. During hunting season, make sure you can be seen and heard. Wear a blaze-orange cap and vest and/or backpack cover at all times, including in and around camp.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++