WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Blaze Orange

Just for the record, even though I don't hunt, I have absolutely nothing against it.

I just can't believe that folks would walk into the woods without following safety regulations designed to minimize the possibility of an accidental shooting. Hunters can dress any way they want. I'm wearing some blaze orange (and I hate the fact that it looks like any other color in twilight and predawn hours, but that's the way it is). Headlamps will help, I hope.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries
    Images

Yep I have tried it both ways.... neon and then green... neon clashes with my green principals.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

WOO
    I'll be in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks for a short hike.

I met a few muzzle loader hunters there last year and they were all very cordial and all wore some blaze. One was dragging a deer down the AT, so I know that, at least in its camo form, blaze orange won't scare the deer too much.
    Btw: Is it still muzzle loader season in early Nov? The only time I get nervous in the woods is shotgun season (people with poor aim still have a chance to soot something, and, at least in my state, that's what they attempt to do: shoot something).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Bumping post.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Bumping post.
    What is a bumping post? Do I need to carry one when hiking during hunting season?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Sarcasm. I might've known.

Sarcasm: "To tear the flesh". (variations in most dictionaries)

No wonder the recipients thereof aren't laughing.
    Last edited by Tinker; 10-28-2011 at 13:11.

Journal Entries
    Images

DEER (Antlered and Antlerless) WMUs 2A, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2G, 3B, 3C, 4B, 4D and 4E:

Dec. 3-10. One antlered deer per hunting license year. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS (Statewide):

Oct. 20-22. Junior and Senior License Holders, Disabled Person Permit (to use a vehicle) Holders, and Pennsylvania residents serving on active duty in U.S. Armed Services or in the U.S. Coast Guard only, with required antlerless license. Also included are persons who have reached or will reach their 65th birthday in the year of the application for a license and hold a valid adult license, or qualify for license and fee exemptions under section 2706. One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS MUZZLELOADER (Statewide):

Oct. 15-22. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

Back in the 60-70 it was about 50 accidents per year with a wopping 14 self inflicted. Hunters Harvest last year 308,920 deer and this year its down 8% in licence sales over last year. Roughly 39,000 hunters are in the woods at this time of the year. Hunting or taking of deer is not allowed on the AT - they can use the AT to travel to their respective Game Land... Allot of hunters do not want to give hunting a bad rapport in the press so they generally stick to the rules. I have seen far more hunters in central pa than where the trail is... Also - populations are generally steady - but not around the Delaware Water Gap/Pocono where the population has crashed a little.

So if you feel the need to wear a blaze orange cap - feel free - but its not necessary.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Also just because you are hiking in an area that doesn't allow hunting, don't be fooled into thinking that no one is hunting there. There's bad apples in every bunch unfortunately.

Right. Some folks will jack a deer any time of year (hey, that rhymes!)

Tomorrow I will try to post a picture of me in full blaze orange! We hike this past week. Got a few comments from other hikers (not wearing orange) that were a bit condescending about my color choices but I don't care if I did look like the great pumpkin, better safe than sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Cables View Post
    Tomorrow I will try to post a picture of me in full blaze orange! We hike this past week. Got a few comments from other hikers (not wearing orange) that were a bit condescending about my color choices but I don't care if I did look like the great pumpkin, better safe than sorry!
    Bear Cables, I think we crossed paths on the trail on Thursday. Were you with two other women? I remember you saying to me "another great pumpkin" as I was wearing orange as were my two dogs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I did a search and didn't find the above words in a title....
    I did a search and found a bunch of threads with blaze orange in the title.

Rain Man

Attached Images Attached Images
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

I just tell them that it's my incognito outfit for Clemson games!

Truly though, with some of the complete knucklehead "sportsmen" out there, I wouldn't be caught dead (pun intended) on the trail during hunting season without blaze orange.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    Saw over 30 hikers out on the trail today. Only one was wearing blaze orange.
    FatMan, I was impressed by not only your blaze orange but your beautiful dogs' blaze orange vest as well!

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    Bear Cables, I think we crossed paths on the trail on Thursday. Were you with two other women? I remember you saying to me "another great pumpkin" as I was wearing orange as were my two dogs.
    Yep! That was us! It was so cool to find out that was you! I think we were both quite the poster children for hiking during hunting season

Well I can guarantee you they weren't from Tennessee =) as long as it's not Texas orange i'm okay with it in any form.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepwood View Post
    Well I can guarantee you they weren't from Tennessee =) as long as it's not Texas orange i'm okay with it in any form.
    We do what is necessary in hunting season...but do you know how hard it is for a "bleeds purple and gold" Tiger fan to wear Tennessee orange????? Geaux Tigers!

Journal Entries
    Images

...awe Nuts.

Woo

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I finally made it out to the trail for an overnight this past weekend, did not wear orange and am still alive. Then again I was up in Kent CT, so maybe it was safer that I didn't identify myself as a hiker.

When I was packing for the trip I realized that I didn't own any blaze orange besides the vest that my dog wears. I needed to stop by the local REI (Returns and Exchanges International?) anyway so while I was there I thought I'd if they had an orange hat or shirt that I could afford. Sadly after checking through the store I couldn't find one piece of blaze orange clothing. Has anyone else had this problem? I'll probably just pick something up on the internet, but I would have thought that with all the other essential equipment they sell (lexan wine glasses, backpacker's toilet paper, inflatable dog beds, water filters, etc.) they would have had some room for cloths to wear during hunting season.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++