WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Blaze Orange

Default Blaze Orange

Just a reminder:

I did a search and didn't find the above words in a title, so I decided to post a reminder to those going into the woods to make sure they have at least the minimum blaze orange showing on their clothing for the state that they're hiking in (hint: more is always better). Make sure your children and pets are sporting some of the hideous neon as well.

Be safe!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Good idea. I'm gonna be on the trail this weekend. Even though gun season here isn't until Nov. 15 the bowhunters are out right now. Granted when hunting with a bow you need to be very sure of your target (I'm a bowhunter myself, gave up guns eons ago) you just can't be sure and you never know. So, I'm gonna have my orange on. Better safe than sorry.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

AT 2012

sierra trading post http://www.sierratradingpost.com/bro...women~p~4109j/ has a sweet orange running hat with a nice long brim. nicely adjustable, light, fast drying... and so seasonal! thanks for the reminder...
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    sierra trading post http://www.sierratradingpost.com/bro...women~p~4109j/ has a sweet orange running hat with a nice long brim. nicely adjustable, light, fast drying... and so seasonal! thanks for the reminder...
    Good find! Too bad I have the clunky hunter insulated one already!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I wear Gator orange while hiking in Florida. I have a great blaze orange UF visor and now that it is hiking weather in Florida it is also mass hunting season in the best hiking areas. Plus I always carry bandannas for use for everything I get bright colors and hang them on the outside of my pack for ease of use and easy to see. I'm going anyway.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

I have a blaze orange bandana I hang on the back of my pack where I can't see it. I hate the color orange. It makes me angry!

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

In other words, I have to wear hunter orange b/c they are not 100% sure I should be fired upon??!! LMAO!!

Unless required by law(passed b/c of hunters mistakes of killing each other or non hunters), I never wear blaze orange!! If they are not 100% it is an animal to be fired upon, they shouldn't even have the weapon raised in the first place.

Got my blaze orange cap, blaze orange pack cover and caution light yellow/orange shirt. Also bringing a hot pink thermal shirt. There are three of us hiking and we will be a noisy neon rainbow!

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    In other words, I have to wear hunter orange b/c they are not 100% sure I should be fired upon??!! LMAO!!

Unless required by law(passed b/c of hunters mistakes of killing each other or non hunters), I never wear blaze orange!! If they are not 100% it is an animal to be fired upon, they shouldn't even have the weapon raised in the first place.
    A previous poster pointed out that bow hunters (generally the folks out hunting in most states as of this post) will not shoot unless they are sure of a good shot (an arrow broadhead makes a much smaller hole than a bullet, and they want to make sure thay don't have to track a wounded animal for miles through the brush). There is practically no chance that a bowhunter will shoot you (accidentally, that is). Otoh, someone with a rifle or shotgun may shoot you because you were beyond their intended target and they overshot it. Blaze orange would no doubt help in that situation.
    Another reason that more folks are shot accidentally by firearms than bows is that each shot is potentially more expensive for the bow hunter as he may break a broadhead, arrow shaft or nock if he misses a shot. Arrows are expensive!!!

Walmart has in the hunting section blaze orange baseball style caps for only $3. They are logo, writing, and camo free. Just what you want when you don't really want one. Need is not the same as want. So I bought it.

Images

I agree DS, but trigger happy hunters mistake hikers every year and while I don't dwell on such misfortunes maybe wearing a little something orange like a bandana or a bright colored cap could save your life as well as your family from heartache.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I used to think the same thing, however my opinion of this has changed because of conversations I've had with hunters over the last few years. The long and short of these conversations is that in addition to blaze orange helping us stand out for our own sake, it is also a courtesy to the hunters. They like to know when other people are around for everyone's safety and even though the hunters I've talked to never had an incident, just the thought of accidentally looking at a human through their scopes is WAY to close for comfort for them.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Yes, wearing orange while hiking is under-rated for sure. I would strongly recommend making yourself as visable as possible to hunters.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I used to think the same thing, however my opinion of this has changed because of conversations I've had with hunters over the last few years. The long and short of these conversations is that in addition to blaze orange helping us stand out for our own sake, it is also a courtesy to the hunters. They like to know when other people are around for everyone's safety and even though the hunters I've talked to never had an incident, just the thought of accidentally looking at a human through their scopes is WAY to close for comfort for them.
    I've talked with hunters also and too many have said that when it comes to a animal they want, they don't think sometimes....they just raise the weapon and shoot.
    Case in point, many years ago in Maine, a man admitted at trial they when he saw the white of the tail, he raised his weapon and shot in that direction. The result was that b/c he was way too close to a home, he shot a woman to death whom had been wearing white mittens, what apparently he thought was a white tail of a deer. Not only was he acquitted despite admitting negligence, but then a law was passed by the state that if you are out during hunting season and you are not a hunter, YOU MUST WEAR BLAZE ORANGE!!!
    In other words, the man killed someone, but it was the non-hunters and the woman's life/family that suffered from it, not the hunters whom caused this tragedy.

Images

Ignorance especially the last section.
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    Ignorance especially the last section.
    Ignorance by me or the hunters?

Images

You, not wearing orange because its their responsibility to look for you is liking crossing the street without looking both ways.
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    You, not wearing orange because its their responsibility to look for you is liking crossing the street without looking both ways.
    Well said, Doc. Well said.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Here's a parallel. It might not be the other driver's fault if the non-seatbelt wearing driver of a car involved in an accident is thrown from the car and expires (even if the other driver was driving recklessly, drunk, and on the wrong side of the road). The accident may be his fault, but the outcome may be the fault of the anti-seatbelt driver. I hear this locally every week ..........driver thrown from vehicle, dead at scene.
    Different Socks may not like hunting or hunters, but it's not THEM who will be impacted if you get shot.
    Losing a little pride (for all of us) might do a little good. Just think of those who you will leave behind when you think that safety doesn't matter.
    Please take care of yourself-for their sakes.

Images

I highly recommend you stay away from NY/NJ during the first week of hunting season.
    or wear orange.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++