WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MSR WhisperLite

Trangia is a good one, at least for me . I've used the same one for over 20 years. No moving parts, no preheating, and burns hot.

Journal Entries
    Images

I've used an Optimus Nova multifuel stove. It runs on a variety of petroleum products, like white gas, and kerosene. Alcohol would eat away at the stove's o-rings. If you want to burn alcohol, check out bottlestoves.com.
    David Smolinski

wisperlite....what an oxymoron. Its neither quiet nor light. I have one an dits what I use but gosh its heavy and loud. I aways thought the guys in the marketing department at MSR had a great sense of humour when the named that particular stove.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

You should check out zenstoves.net Lots of great DIY soda can type stoves and commercial ones. I think you'll discover soda can stoves are easy to make and cost nothing. I like Trangia alcohol stoves, but there are plenty to choose from
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman:1216313
    wisperlite....what an oxymoron. Its neither quiet nor light. I have one an dits what I use but gosh its heavy and loud. I aways thought the guys in the marketing department at MSR had a great sense of humour when the named that particular stove.
    I think it was quiet and light in the 80's compared to a lot of the other stove available at the time. Except maybe the SVEA stove. Great stove for groups larger than two. Really heavy for a solo stove.

Whisperlite works good and is not very noisy. Great to have when it is cold and windy. My Whisperlite rig weighs 12 oz more than my alcohol rig but you get some of that back considering you carry about a 1/3 less fuel with the Whisperlite. Gasoline is about $0.03/oz and you can get it anywhere they have cars. Alcohol can be as high as $0.35/oz.

Images

It really depends on if you cook or just boil water & how much. I love my MSR stoves because I tend to cook more. Good food is a pleasure for me when hiking.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Enic View Post
    White gas is more like kersosene than HEET... but still not the same. Do a quick google search and you'll learn more than you ever needed to about "white gas." Buy Coleman Fuel or MSR Superfuel, to use the first couple times at least.
    4eye is correct its Gasoline -without additives

Quote Originally Posted by Leanthree View Post
    It is more like additive free gasoline than kerosene though neither is 100% accurate. Without the additives, it burns with less soot than gasoline but would perform rather terribly in your car.
    BS works fine in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman View Post

"back in the day" it was the go to product.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Whisperlite works good and is not very noisy. Great to have when it is cold and windy. My Whisperlite rig weighs 12 oz more than my alcohol rig but you get some of that back considering you carry about a 1/3 less fuel with the Whisperlite. Gasoline is about $0.03/oz and you can get it anywhere they have cars. Alcohol can be as high as $0.35/oz.

I agree it was the flame thrower of the day...
    cannister stoves are best fot high altitude and alcohol stoves & wood stoves are best for the AT. I have since donated the wisper to the Boy Scouts.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

For boiling water at a low cost a homemade alcohol stove seems to be the way to go. Plenty of vidios on utube to see how it is done. The stove weighs so little that you can afford to carry a little more weight in fuel.

To cook you need something that can simmer and for that you will need something heavier and more exspensive to purchase.

A problem annister stoves had had in the past is when they change canisters and quit making your canister. I hav eseen taht happpen to people who bought cannister stoves in the past. The stove even if used a lot should last twenty of more years what do you do if the cannisters arn't made anymore?

Fuel stoves that burn multiple fuels and simmer have been my choice in the past but if I did not have a stove and was thru hiking it would be a homemade pop can alcohol stove.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

The whisperlite is my go-to stove if I expect to melt snow for water. Otherwise, my soda can stove is the thing. (It can be a bit cantankerous to get the soda can to prime in cold weather, and snow-melting uses fuel like anything so the higher energy content of naphtha is a win for that application.) I made a simmer attachment for it, so I can do a small amount of real cooking.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

From what I recall, the wisperlite will burn gasoline or white gas, but that white gas is preferred because it is cleaner. The international version comes with a 2nd port marked with a 'K' that mush be swapped out to burn kerosene.

I own four stoves (dont tell the wife)
    Whisperlite International - Fuels
    Primus ETA - canister stove
    Trangia - Alky
    Honey Stove - wood burner
    Super Cat - oh darn, make that 5 stoves

They each have their "sweet spot" for use/weight. I have little kids, but I like to hike alone, or sometimes with a large group in winter in the Mtns.... On it goes....

Images

gasoline stoves are fast and hot and can be adjusted as to temp. The best for cold weather or groups.
    Understand you let liquid gas into a little bowl under the burner and light it and it flares up real big making lots of soot on the stove, that is what it takes to vaporize the gas so you can light the stove. I love the stove and always use it in winter. the soot makes your hands black when you pack up the stove and unpak.

i really don't know why anyone would use one of these on the AT. i have seen alt of people use them and have a hell of a time with them. seems that there is a learning curve with them that is not quickly learned. i personaly like alcohol is warm weather and my soto micro regulator for cold weather. its super light and has its own igniter. no problems in even very cold weather. fuel canisters are widely available. my two cents

The Whisperlite is a thinly disguised I.Q. test.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    The Whisperlite is a thinly disguised I.Q. test.
    lol i think you are correct

If cooking for a crowd or in very cold weather, it is very fit for purpose. Much less finicky than the Optimus blue box I started with, so that one was much more of an IQ test.

Journal Entries
    Images

They burn other fuels. Use the nossle with the larger opening if you plan to do do. Plus regular gas is not as clean as white.

the international can also run on bacardi 151. great stoves for cooking for a group, but canisters are much better for solo trips and keeping the weight down.

i'll bring a dragonfly if big pots are going to be used, or the pocket rocket/canister nested in this system http://www.rei.com/product/830766/gs...FcRa4AodDjwAhA

Coleman fuel (white gas) is the same as gasoline without the additives - nope it's not!

You can burn it in your car - not if you like your car - its high combustion temperature and low octane (50-55) will eventually destroy your engine if it runs at all! On the other hand, with its fine solvent properties you'll have a shiny clean gas tank and fuel lines. Of course all that gunk will wind up in your engine.

I think most old people (not me) think Coleman fuel (white gas) is the same as the "white gas" we could buy at the pump back in the day. Except of course, that "white gas" was actually white gasoline (because of its color). Not the same at all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++