WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Thru-hiking w dog and "no dogs allowed" sections

I'm trying to plan for a thru-hike in 2013 with my dog. I've done 5-day trips with my dog multiple times before so I know the usual challenges (and rewards) of backpacking with a four-legged friend, but this trip is gonna need a whole other level of preparation. I know that there are some sections of the AT that do not allow dogs (Smoky Mts, Baxter, and I think there was another one). I have heard something about kennels that have transportation services for hikers going thru these areas, but can't seems to find actual details anywhere. I was wondering if anyone here has done a thru-hike with their dog and how you handled it, or even if anyone just a has some information about any of these services. General advice and stories are welcome too

Images

I have the same plan with my dog in 2013 but I wont o anything untill last weeks about my dog. Rules change, people change, we change but wish you a great hike

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    I have the same plan with my dog in 2013 but I wont o anything untill last weeks about my dog. Rules change, people change, we change but wish you a great hike
    The rules don't change, nor do the challenges. Dogs are forbiden in the Smokies and in Baxter. You don't have to worry much about Baxter, as your chances of arriving there with a dog are about 1 in a 1000. If your truely serious about finishing a thru hike, don't bring your mutt.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The rules don't change, nor do the challenges. Dogs are forbiden in the Smokies and in Baxter. You don't have to worry much about Baxter, as your chances of arriving there with a dog are about 1 in a 1000. If your truely serious about finishing a thru hike, don't bring your mutt.
    Oh wow, can you say dickhead response. lea13 start going on long walks with your dog, make sure you and the dog are in good shape and you will be fine. there is a section in whiteblaze about dogs that gives some info. Here are some facts for you..... YOU are much more likely to get hurt then your dog. dont worry about people like Slo-go'en, take your dog and enjoy yourself,

If stating reality is being a dickhead, so be it. To meet a "thru-hiker" with a dog in GA/NC is a pretty common occurance. To meet a thru-hiker with a dog crossing into Maine is a very rare sight indeed.

The fact is, the AT is very hard on a dog. Not many make it even through VA. If your taking your dog on a thru, you need to plan on the very real and large probability that you will have to send your dog home at some point if you want to keep going. Most end up quiting at that point.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

If stating reality is being a dickhead, so be it. To meet a "thru-hiker" with a dog in GA/NC is a pretty common occurance. To meet a thru-hiker with a dog crossing into Maine is a very rare sight indeed.

The fact is, the AT is very hard on a dog. Not many make it even through VA. If your taking your dog on a thru, you need to plan on the very real and large probability that you will have to send your dog home at some point if you want to keep going. Most end up quiting at that point.
    +1. The dogs that I've seen on the northern part of the trail that started in Georgia all looked miserable. Dogs love to please their master and will keep going even if tired or in pain. And, sadly, your dog can't tell you when it's in pain or wants to go home.

I guess I'm a dickhead, too.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    +1. The dogs that I've seen on the northern part of the trail that started in Georgia all looked miserable. Dogs love to please their master and will keep going even if tired or in pain. And, sadly, your dog can't tell you when it's in pain or wants to go home.I guess I'm a dickhead, too.
    +2 (unfortunately). I love bringing my dog on a short trip, but if I'm going to be on the trail for more than few days then I leave her at home. Most of my time on the A.T. is spent on the CT/MA section and almost all of the dogs that have made it there from Georgia look exhausted and show signs of stress and injury. A good dog will follow you to the ends of the earth, it's your job to know when the dog shouldn't go on.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    +2 (unfortunately). I love bringing my dog on a short trip, but if I'm going to be on the trail for more than few days then I leave her at home. Most of my time on the A.T. is spent on the CT/MA section and almost all of the dogs that have made it there from Georgia look exhausted and show signs of stress and injury. A good dog will follow you to the ends of the earth, it's your job to know when the dog shouldn't go on.
    I'm not questioning your opinion of the dogs, but I can't help but wonder how many of the hikers "that have made it there from Georgia look exhausted and show signs of stress and injury"?

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    I'm not questioning your opinion of the dogs, but I can't help but wonder how many of the hikers "that have made it there from Georgia look exhausted and show signs of stress and injury"?
    That would only be a problem if someone is holding a gun to the thru-hikers head and forcing them to keep hiking. If a person chooses to suffer on the trail, so be it. Dogs don't get any choice.

A good owner knows when his dog is ready to quit. We've all been cold, sick, sore, and hungry and still wanting more... And sometimes we're done. Dogs can be the same way, by then again, like kids sometimes they need to be cut off no matter how hungry they are for more.That's something a responsible dog owner needs to be tuned in to.

Ditto, Ditto

Images

I appreciate everyone's concern for my dog and want to assure you that if she is not up to I will not force her to continue.
    We have hiked many miles together before and on a good day, we've done 20 miles and she's still had the energy to want to play and get into things while we were trying to set up camp. This is not always the case though, and I am sensitive enough to her personality to know when something isn't right with her, and we slow the pace, take more breaks, or simply call it a day when anyone in our group is not feeling up to it.
    As much as I know she absolutely loves wearing her pack and going out on the trail so much more than just sitting in her yard or walking around the neighborhood, it is my decision to take her there and her well-being is my responsibility. I take that very seriously, which is why I'm trying to plan this trip 2 years in advance.
    As for odds of completing this trip, from what I've been hearing it is supposedly ~1/10 for any given hiker attempting to thru-hike, ~1/20 for anyone with a dog, but statistics mean nothing to the individual: a blind man named Bill Irwin completed the entire AT thru hike with his dog, Orient.
    Again, I appreciate those of you who expressed concern for my dog, the entire trail is indeed a tremendous challenge. I am simply looking for advice on how to meet some of the obstacles that arise when hiking with a dog on a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail

For those in the "don't bring your dog if you want to make it to ME" camp, I'd like to state that I'd rather hike a small portion with my dog and have to head home short of the goal than hike the whole way solo. I know my dog feels the same way.

Images

to answer the question there are kennels and shuttle services around the smokies, thru-hiker guide books usually have that information, but they do cost $$, often hikers have family/friends to visit and keep the dog for a week or two while you go through the smokies (sorry can't speak for baxter)

Slogen has a truth to what he is saying, despite its harshness,
    I had planned my first long hike as two months hiking with my dog, prepared as much as i could while still in college, but after a month of hiking her paws were showing early signs of cracking and I did the best thing i could for her I sent her home, i did manage to finish my two month hike, the second month was emotionally harder with out her, she is my buddy, but I also had spent alot of time and effort into caring for her, so in ways it became easier to hike, it was nice to go to bed with out having to take care of another.
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Quote Originally Posted by Nick&Bruce View Post
    For those in the "don't bring your dog if you want to make it to ME" camp, I'd like to state that I'd rather hike a small portion with my dog and have to head home short of the goal than hike the whole way solo. I know my dog feels the same way.
    I agree.

Lea13, if you attempt a thru and only get to Va. or even just to the end of Ga. that's no crime.
    There's no shame in getting off the trail after 3 months or 3 weeks if you or your dog have had it. What's wrong with just seeing how far you can get? I met plenty of folks that thru'ed and were NOT enjoying themselves, but they'll never admit it. You could certainly argue that thru-hikers miss out on a LOT! If you just do 8 mi/day and see waterfalls, sunsets, wildlife, sleep under the stars, visit towns and attractions then perhaps you'll get much more from it than those that struggle on to make the all-precious deadline/destination. If you get out for more than a week you will do more than 90% of the folks back home. You are under no obligation to hike by any standard, and owe no one any explanations.
    To answer your original question, yes, the dog is banned from GSMNP and Baxter SP in Maine. Baxter is just the last day or two. There is/are kennel service in Millinocket. I visited one (a woman's home) and didn't feel right leaving my dog, so didn't use it. I cannot speak for the many services around GSMNP, but they are listed in the guide books Here is a thread for them:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...rding-at-GSMNP

New York is not a problem at all. There is a bypass trail around the small zoo (that's the only "no-dog" part). The purists may say you must go through the zoo, but then again you can't when the zoo is closed. The rest of N.Y. is OK, even Bear Mt. Park.
    Have fun!

For those in the "don't bring your dog if you want to make it to ME" camp, I'd like to state that I'd rather hike a small portion with my dog and have to head home short of the goal than hike the whole way solo.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I know my dog feels the same way.
    Oh puhleeze.

Images

I know my dog feels the same way.
    I hate those eyes when they are watching you pack, but starting to realize that they aren't going, aggghhhh, but at the same time my dog flips when she sees her pack, so i usually wait till the last minute to bring it out...
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

What's so hard to believe about a dog not wanting to be without it's owner? What's so hard to believe about a dog that would rather be in the wilderness? That's all I'm saying.

Every dog loves to go out and run around for a few hours - then spend the rest of the day laying on the coach. Pretty much any dog can do a few days or a week of hiking. But a thru-hike is a whole different ball game. Walking 10 to 20 miles a day, with few days off, for 4 to 6 months is an endurance test for both man and beast. Few people can do it and even fewer dogs can. It is telling that no one has yet come forward here and said "yes, both my dog and I have completed a thru-hike".

My intial premise still stands: If your serious about completing a thru-hike, don't bring your dog. If you do bring your dog, be prepaired to either send it home or end your hike, probably sooner than later.

For someone like the OP who apperently is going to travel quite a distance and at no small expense, would be wise to leave his beloved buddy home with someone to look after, rather then handycap himself with the extra burden of the dog and seriously increasing the chances of having to end the hike early.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++