WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jacquelineanngrant View Post
    It is true that how much you spend depends on what is comfortable to you. I spent about $5,000 on my 2010 thruhike as a newbie. I learned alot of lessons along the way. This year I have purchased most of my trail food ahead of time. I've done the math and the cost of the food plus shipping is going to be about $1100 for the whole hike. I will still pick up cheese and fruit in towns but I hate paying over a dollar for things like Ramen. Resupplying along the trail is definately possible but the selection isnt always great and certain places its really pricey. I also found that its not going to town that kills the wallet, its spending the night or multiple nights that gets you. I am largely an introvert but I still enjoyed getting together with other hikers in town. It is harder than you think to pass up stopping when the great group of people youve met are all going into town, or youve been walking in the rain for four days straight. It looks like I'll be spending about $2500 to $3000 this year. The only gear I'll need is new shoes (used 3 pair in 2010) and I'm taking the Greyhound from NM to GA for $98. Best of luck to you! GAME 2012!
    This is a great post and sums it up pretty well out there.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I bought all food in trail towns and never had a problem getting canister fuel. I don't use a lot of fuel but maybe bought four on the trail. They were readily available. I actually think hiking is cheaper than staying home. I'm retired so I don't lose income by hiking. Also it is cheaper to eat trail food than go out to eat twice a weak with my wife Town stops are not such a big deal price wise because you can split motel rooms with other hikers. Of course I only took four zero days and one was at my son's house and another at our home in Vermont but It's often cheaper to split a hotel room with other hikers, especially some cabins than the $20 you would spend on a hostel. when you figure your expenses think about the incremental cost of hiking instead of staying home. It really is an inexpensive trip. You were going to eat anyway after all. On the PCT I split hotel rooms at every town I went to , it worked great.

Here's the things that will add up for you ......Tipping shuttle services.Having to pay cash at lots of smaller motels.Really bad weather spells when you will be forced to "hole up" for awhile.Remember, if the weather is really bad, it's best to get into town and dry out, get organized then struggle to make 5-6 miles a day and run out of food. You wil not see good , safe weather until May

Quote Originally Posted by theresmorethanthis View Post
    so then.... When plainning my money, its important to plain to spend my time with people who are more committed to the trail. I think I will be a lone hiker most of the time anyway.
    From my experience, if you do end up hiking with someone, it really helps to have a similar "Hiking Budget".

so im guessing it will save me money being under 21,.... wont be hitting any bars i imagine

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Depends. If you want to camp in the rain while the rest of the party is in town drinking, eating pizza and sleeping in a warm, dry motel room then you can go cheaper but it won't be as much fun. I bet I spent close to $6,000 for a 6 month hike.
    Sure . . . . but not everyone equates fun with blowing money on restaurants, hotels, booze, and the other trappings of socializing. You kind of make camping in the woods sound . . . . . . rather *****ty, Louis.

Couldn't pass up a
    Deliverance quote.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

2012 NOBO AT Hiker In Planning Hairball's Avatar

I'm a minimalist and I'm budgeting about $400/month for my NOBO thru-hike in 2012. That's roughly $100/week give or take and I'm a big bargain hunter. On the other side, I DO enjoy a hot steak sub and a few beers from time to time. I suppose I will be feast or famine! LOL, I have an emergency backup if I blow out a boot or my pack explodes and I need a new one but I'm not counting on that to get me thru. I think you can be happy on less if you're used to living a frugal life. I do agree that the more money you have, the more you tend to spend. It's all relative I suppose! See ya'll out there in March (27th start date for me).

It is NOT more expensive to buy and ship all your food. Priority flat rate boxes! My total spent for food an shipping this year will be < $800. buying food along the way gets very expensive! (Campstores and convenience stores can get very expensive) but I'm still planning on spending $1500 on lodging and resteraunt binges and transportation

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

The figure I always throw out is $7,000. Nothing sucks more than wanting to do something and not being able to afford it.

I hiked with 3 thru hikers for about 500 miles in 2010 and every time 2 of us wanted to do something the other 2 would say, "How much is it going to cost?" or "Does it cost money?" or something like that. I let them get ahead of me finally because it was such a downer.

And there's nothing wrong with having too much - $7,000 pretty much ensures there'll be enough and some left over at the end

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Senor Jalapeno View Post
    It is NOT more expensive to buy and ship all your food. Priority flat rate boxes! My total spent for food an shipping this year will be < $800. buying food along the way gets very expensive! (Campstores and convenience stores can get very expensive) but I'm still planning on spending $1500 on lodging and resteraunt binges and transportation
    I agree it's not more expensive. It's about the same. I spent just over $700 on food that went into my pack on my thru, buying along the way (that worked out to about $7 per day of actual hiking). And there are other benefits and problems in both ways, as debated ad nauseum elsewhere on this forum. Cost should not be a factor in this decision.

And it's a fraction of the total hike cost, anyway. My actual town food costs were a little higher than trail food, about $750. And I spent about that much on lodging, so, disregarding travel, your numbers are pretty close to mine. I treated myself quite well with food and lodging. A hiker's actions in towns will have a much greater effect on overall trip cost than shipping trail food.

Many hikers spend more than their entire food budget on new gear when they get to Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap, 30 miles into the hike.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++