WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ULA CDT side mesh pockets

my CDT arrived yesterday and i am very pleased with it. I think it will do the job nicely.

it seems chris at ULA made a few revisions for the CDT this year. the only thing that had really concerned me about this pack before buying it was that the side mesh pockets slanted towards the hip belt at a very steep angle. after viewing pictures and hearing others complain about it, i was afraid things might fall out. well, either the pictures don't show the pockets properly, or chris made them less angled, because they seem to be perfect now. not cut so low and very deep.

there are a few miniscule cosmetic changes as well. barely noticeable. but for me, the side pockets are the big thing.

just wanted to pass this along in case this had been a deal breaker for anyone in the past.

TV

could you please post pics?

Definitely would like to see some pics! I had a very hard time deciding between the ULA CDT and a couple other packs; I ruled out the CDT mainly because of the slanted mesh pockets.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Where's the trust? Thru-hike packs by thru-hikers......
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

sorry these are out of focus. iphone didn't like the light.

TV

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

Chris is awesome. Before ruling out a CDT because of a feature you don't like shoot Chris an email and see what he can do for you. I wouldn't be surprised to hear he'd make the pockets however you like.
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

Quote Originally Posted by Chance09 View Post
    Chris is awesome. Before ruling out a CDT because of a feature you don't like shoot Chris an email and see what he can do for you. I wouldn't be surprised to hear he'd make the pockets however you like.
    Chris is awesome. I just talked to him about the Circuit. I'm in between sizes on the belts right now. He said he'd send both and I can send back the one I don't want, and later I can swap back again if need be. "Good People"
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I don't know of a better pack manufacturer than ULA for customer service. I could not find the water bladder pocket for my circuit. I contacted ULA, and they sent me another one... for free. Do you know any of the bigger companies that would do that?

I ordered an ohm a few months ago. Had a bit of a time getting the right fit. Customer service at ULA was great!! I had ordered ONE pack. Since I had such a time getting the right fit--I had THREE different sizes at my house at the same time. Chris was extremely helpful. Found the right one and sent the other two back.

hey, i've got an idea... let's NOT turn this into another circuit or ohm thread, eh?

Images

How is the volume of that thing? I'd like to upgrade to a CDT from my circuit but I cant imagine fitting a large food bag into such a small pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Linesman View Post
    How is the volume of that thing? I'd like to upgrade to a CDT from my circuit but I cant imagine fitting a large food bag into such a small pack.
    I have an ULA Conduit (pack that became the CDT) and a Circuit. There is about a 1000 cu in difference between them. I have no problem fitting up to 6 days of food using my conduit and I've never run out of food from skimping (always have extra leftover at the end). So it all depends on how large your other gear is if a large food bag will fit. If you regulary fill up your Circuit (except for using the extension collar), the CDT is likely too small for you. My baseweight is usually 9 to 12lbs when using it. Frameless packs like the CDT carry better if you fill the volume up (usually by not compressing your sleeping bag so it lofts into the unused space) and try to keep the weight to mid 20's or less with only the occasional heavier carry. If it feels uncomfortable, then try repacking it differently as that usually will solve the problem. My circuit is pretty much reserved for when I need to carry a bear can in the Sierrra Nevada, or going out for longer then 6 days with no resupply, or I need to carry several liters of water (an issue in places in the SW). The conduit works for everthing else with my gear.

Back to the original post, For the past few years, I've seen the CDT and every other ULA pack on display at their booth at the ADZPCTKO gathering in SoCAL and I have always thought the side pockets have looked very functional. They certainly are on my 2008 Conduit and 2009 Circuit packs. My definition of a good side pocket is that I can easily remove and replace a gatoraid bottle while wearing the pack and the pocket contents don't spill out when I drop the pack on the ground during a break. For me, ULA side pockets pass that test.

++ New Posts ++