WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default South Taconics/Bear Mountain water

Me and my hammocking buddies are going on a hiking trip this Friday to Sunday thinking about starting at Undermountain parking going up over Bear Mountain, then grabbing the trail that goes up Round Mt. then Mt. Frissell, up the South taconic trail, to the Alander loop trail , over Alander Mountain, then back on the South Taconic Trail to Bashbish Falls, and back. Is anyone familiar with this section and know if there are any water sources on the trail? Did a bit of searching but couldn't seem to find much info on this trail?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CTGuy View Post
    Me and my hammocking buddies are going on a hiking trip this Friday to Sunday thinking about starting at Undermountain parking going up over Bear Mountain, then grabbing the trail that goes up Round Mt. then Mt. Frissell, up the South taconic trail, to the Alander loop trail , over Alander Mountain, then back on the South Taconic Trail to Bashbish Falls, and back. Is anyone familiar with this section and know if there are any water sources on the trail? Did a bit of searching but couldn't seem to find much info on this trail?
    Given how wet this fall has been, doubtless the water is plentiful. Do you have the AMC Massachusetts Guide? It has great maps for the South Taconics.

For Bashbish, I gather it's best to ascent TO Alander, southbound, from the Falls than to descend NOBO, as that section of trail is notoriously steep and treacherous. I've not done it myself, yet. The STT, I think, descends into the Bashbish Gorge downstream of the falls and, though steep, is less so and less treacherous. Hope you enjoy your trip.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

The water sources that I am familiar with on the route you propose are:

1. There is a nice brook you will cross on the undermountian trail if you go up to the AT and do not take Paradise Lane to the AT north of Bear
    2. North side of bear
    3. There is a small un-reliable source on the east side of Fissel.
    4. Alander Loop Trail is dry, get water at Roberts Brook, northbound on the South Taconic Trail is quite dry even in wet conditions until you get Bash Bish falls
    5.Bash Bish Falls.

There is a water source on the Alander Trail which goes back to the State Forest Headquarters.

The STT from Frissel to the climb up to Alander is OK but not great views, if you go south to Brace, there are great views as is Alander. Check out the cabin in the notch on Alander. The climb from the Top of Bash Bish to the Base of Bash Bish is very steep, this climb/decent is avoided if you stay on the SST which decends gradually to the base of Bash Bish. Here is link to a map of the area. http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/mwashington.pdf

PM me if you like and I will give you some additional information, I hike this area very often. Happy Hanging.
    Last edited by Migrating Bird; 10-26-2011 at 18:50.

++ New Posts ++