WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Stove of the Week: The Caldera Cone

This week's stove is the Caldera Cone with 10-12 alcohol burner from Trail Designs.

The Caldera Cone with 10-12 burner is a stable, efficient, and wind resistant ultralight alcohol system that packs well inside a standard Ziploc container that doubles as a bowl.

Packed:

Unpacked:

Believe it or not, everything in the second photo is also present in the first.

I've written a review which is now available on Seattle Backpackers Magazine and there's a supplemental post with further information on my blog. Both can be accessed via this link.

HJ
    Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

Images

I love my caldera cone. I use it as an esbit stove. Yeah, I'm one of those weirdos that likes the smell.

Journal Entries

The caldera cone stove system is especially suited for the PCT, where wind is constant factor. The almost identical set-up from Antigravity Gear also has insulated covers for the blue plastic lid and the metal pot lid. Mine cost $80 in Aug '09. What's it now?

Do you find that you get a brown build up on your cone? Or does the residue just get on your pot with a Caldera set up?

HJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mango View Post
    The caldera cone stove system is especially suited for the PCT, where wind is constant factor. The almost identical set-up from Antigravity Gear also has insulated covers for the blue plastic lid and the metal pot lid. Mine cost $80 in Aug '09. What's it now?
    I bought mine used, and it's an older model, so I'm not sure my price would be relevant to what AGG is charging today. You could bop on over to their site http://www.AntiGravityGear.com and check it out.

HJ

This last spring, I crushed my Cladera Cone stove with my water bottle - dropped from 20 feet. Was trying to put up a line to hang the food bag. Missed the branch, but nailed the stove dead center - what's the odds of that? I uncrunched the stove best I could and it still works! I should break down and buy a new cone and stove - the one's I have are getting a bit beat up after all the abuse they've taken over the last couple of years.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Will NEXT WEEK's stove be better?
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Default make your own

for those who are so inclined;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VerP7-aiEBw

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    This last spring, I crushed my Cladera Cone stove with my water bottle - dropped from 20 feet. Was trying to put up a line to hang the food bag. Missed the branch, but nailed the stove dead center - what's the odds of that? I uncrunched the stove best I could and it still works! I should break down and buy a new cone and stove - the one's I have are getting a bit beat up after all the abuse they've taken over the last couple of years.
    Wow. I haven't seen anything like that before. I've heard of guys have their 10-12 stove come apart and then successfully use the stove thereafter. Apparently, as long as you can stick the parts back together, it'll keep on working.

HJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Will NEXT WEEK's stove be better?
    Not necessarily, but it it will be different.

HJ

Quote Originally Posted by yaduck9 View Post
    for those who are so inclined;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VerP7-aiEBw
    Looks like his came out pretty nice. The cone is a pretty nice design whether homemade or store bought. It's really nice to save weight by combining the pot stand and windscreen, it's very stable, and it's a darned good windscreen.

HJ

Great stove, can double as a no bite cone for small animals.....

ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    Great stove, can double as a no bite cone for small animals.....

lol

Now, I'm going to have that image stuck in my mind every time I use the stove.

HJ

LOL
    Everything needs two uses.....

Is this is what most office bound hikers-to-be look like in January waiting for their hike to start....?
    http://www.johnlund.com/page.asp?ID=2009
    ad astra per aspera

2 uses for the cone ?
    How about adding : funnel, megaphone, pretend telescope...
    Franco

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    2 uses for the cone ?
    How about adding : funnel, megaphone, pretend telescope...
    Franco
    Two uses? I'm quite content using it as a) the pot stand and b) the windscreen. Radical ideas, I know.

HJ

I love my Caldera Cone.
    I use the Ti version but I have a shorter one in aluminium.
    Glad that I invested in the Ti because I don't need to be all that careful about folding/storing and I have melted a hole into the aluminium one experimenting with a gas stove. (my fault... but it works with the Ti )
    Having experimented a lot with many alcohol stoves/windscreen combos , I like the balance i get between boil time/fuel used I get with the CC.
    ( I only boil...)
    This is how I deal with using just the right ammount of fuel :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX9j7pF38Tw
    (BTW, the cat you see in the video, recently departed, is Pip, about 18 years old at the time)
    Franco

The CC advertises that it comes with a special alcohol stove tuned to work optimally in the enclosed space of the cone. Has anyone made a DIY CC and had problems with a conventional alcohol stove?

I like the balance i get between boil time/fuel used I get with the CC.
    I like the way you said that. That's exactly right by the way. The CC is a good practical balance between efficiency and speed. I can boil water with less alcohol than with other set ups I've tried, but the water is still ready in a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks for the video link by the way. I use my Ti Sierra Cup as a snuffer for my stove.

BTW, the cat you see in the video, recently departed, is Pip, about 18 years old at the time
    Sorry to hear about Pip.

HJ

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    The CC advertises that it comes with a special alcohol stove tuned to work optimally in the enclosed space of the cone. Has anyone made a DIY CC and had problems with a conventional alcohol stove?
    The 10-12 stove that comes with the Caldera Cone is an interesting design. It's a open side jet type stove. The side jets are about half way down the body of the stove which is interesting to me. Most side jet alcohol stoves I've seen have the jets near the top rim of the stove. The jet openings are very large, more like a three hole punch or larger. Most jets I've seen in alcohol stoves are more like needle or pin holes.

Having said that, I haven't tried other stoves inside the cone. If I do any such experiments, I'll post here. I will say that the 10-12 stove works very well with the cone.

HJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++