WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by peter_pan
    Why are you all messing with straps and buckles at all??? when I tuck my quilt in on the sides, the hammock holds it in place fine...no air leaks....don't see a need for straps unless on the ground...and that is bad.
    Actually, I've rarely needed straps, even on the ground. But they've have got to be the number one thing people have asked me to implement in the design over the years, so I put them in. Now the cinch at the top of the quilt? That is useful.

-howie

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hungryhowie
    That is useful
    Agreed. One at the neck would be needed in a hammock or on the ground. The side ones are not really needed in a hammock, unless you flop to your side often. As turning tends to un-do the tuck and roll method.

So, Howie, how are you tieing off the neck hole? Just a velcro patch? For some reason, I think the Arc-quilts use a snap? Or a toggle of some sort at the neck end.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Images

I tend to agree that the straps are unneeded with a hammock, but I am trying everything out to see what works best.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142
    Agreed. One at the neck would be needed in a hammock or on the ground. The side ones are not really needed in a hammock, unless you flop to your side often. As turning tends to un-do the tuck and roll method.

So, Howie, how are you tieing off the neck hole? Just a velcro patch? For some reason, I think the Arc-quilts use a snap? Or a toggle of some sort at the neck end.
    Yes, 1/4" velcro. I think the Arcs use a snap, but I chose velcro to make it easier to close. 1/16" shock cord runs through a smal tube of fabric and can be tightened or loosened as needed with a mini cord lock. The cordlock is placed off-center to keep the "extra' shock cord from getting in your face.

-howie

Images

I prefer the Velcro on Howie's quilt over my Nunatack BCB snaps that are on the corners of the BCB.

Something to note about Howie's quilt is it just fits my shoulder width, if I were a little more bulky at the shoulders it might be a little too narrow. I think if you are going to publish the plans, that a set of measurements of small, med, large, and XL might be a good idea based on chest girth/shoulder width.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Howie etal,

Try the snag free velcro..available in sewing stores in 3 ft lengths..pricy about $3.50- 3.99....but sooooo nice....much gentler on you and your gear esp fleece.

In the industry it is known as Omni tape, more reasonable but only available in 25 meter lengths.

pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

I actually would use it but they make it only in 0.75" width. Even 0.5" would be tempting, but I'd like to see 0.25 for most of my applications.

Thanks for the industry name, however, as I didn't have that before (just knew it as snag-free).

-howie

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    I think if you are going to publish the plans, that a set of measurements of small, med, large, and XL might be a good idea based on chest girth/shoulder width.
    Interpolating plans into different sizes should be a falrly easy task. What size do you think the quilt you have should be? And what increments do you think are appropriate? I seem to recall LG sleeping bags typically having about a 4 inch difference in girth. Too big? Too small?

-howie

Images

I think about 2" more might be about right. I think a 4" diff in sizes could be a good average.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++