WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana The ultimate hang!!!!

just got my new copy of THE ULTIMATE HANG in!!! ill let you guys know if its worth the 14 bucks! haha im sure it will be great. its slightly smaller than expected at 129 pages total but its jam packed with easy to follow illustrations so ill be like a kid in a candy store for a couple hours atleast!
    Planning an April 2012 AT Thru for my 26th BDay!!!! Be patient with me!

Laziness is Creativity's evil brother. -Me

Images

This is a well laid out, nicely illustrated, easy to read and follow guide to hammock camping. Worth the money even if you are just curious about hammocks.

so i finished the book a couple days ago. its pretty cool. definitely fun to read with all the illustraitons. easy to understand even for a n00b. kinda funny too. only thing that threw me off is this guy is practically preaching against tent camping. i understand hes partial to hammocks, obviously, but it seems several times he goes out of his way to show how tents are worse than hammocks. i dont know, just the impression i got. but for 14 bucks, cant beat the info.
    there were a couple obvious typos but nothing too serious. the only really off info was in the end when there is a really cool conversion table for weights and such(which is handy), i noticed that it says "1 cup = 16oz" and the next line is "2 cups = 16oz"
    that just stood out, but we all know that 1 cup is 8ozz so i dont think its a huge deal.
    thanks to this book though, ive locked in what im doing my through with. most likely WBBB 1.1 single, UQ, TQ, no pad, webbing straps with dutch clips and whoopie slings, standard cat cut tarp and possible a piece of tyvek to guard against my UQ getting soiled.

Images

Love my hennessy but there are advantages and disadvantages to both types. The hammock vs tent people sometimes seem like the ford vs chevy people. Or worse, the android vs iPhone groups.Maybe Hike Your Own Hike could also be expanded to SYOS "sleep your own shelter". There's no one answer for everyone, every time. I did learn how to tie some cool knots and lashings from the hennessy videos though, stuff that goes beyond hammock useage.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Actually, if you re-read the book, he also shows how tents can be better than hammocks. I think you may have skipped a couple of paragraphs...

Quote Originally Posted by orions_knight View Post
    so i finished the book a couple days ago. its pretty cool. definitely fun to read with all the illustraitons. easy to understand even for a n00b. kinda funny too. only thing that threw me off is this guy is practically preaching against tent camping. i understand hes partial to hammocks, obviously, but it seems several times he goes out of his way to show how tents are worse than hammocks. i dont know, just the impression i got. but for 14 bucks, cant beat the info.
    there were a couple obvious typos but nothing too serious. the only really off info was in the end when there is a really cool conversion table for weights and such(which is handy), i noticed that it says "1 cup = 16oz" and the next line is "2 cups = 16oz"
    that just stood out, but we all know that 1 cup is 8ozz so i dont think its a huge deal.
    thanks to this book though, ive locked in what im doing my through with. most likely WBBB 1.1 single, UQ, TQ, no pad, webbing straps with dutch clips and whoopie slings, standard cat cut tarp and possible a piece of tyvek to guard against my UQ getting soiled.

Quote Originally Posted by lilricky View Post
    Actually, if you re-read the book, he also shows how tents can be better than hammocks. I think you may have skipped a couple of paragraphs...
    nah i didnt skip anything. it just seems (to me) that he went out of his way to talk hammocks up. side remarks that werent neccesary were everywhere and directly pinned hammock vs tent.
    true, there are a couple comparison charts in there that show the pros of tents over hammocks, but his words throughout the whole book were much stronger towards hammocks than those point charts were toward tents.
    dont get me wrong, i dont care either way. thats just the way it came across to me. obviously hes trying to sell a hammock oriented book. i was just saying that there was a aire of anti-tent all through it.
    whatevz. good read.

Ol' Shug did a good review of the book and even gives a 13% discount code- Yeehaw!!

Last edited by Spokes; 11-14-2011 at 23:08.

O K, I find myself a little anti tent at times, I think its an east of the Mississippi thing. Over here we take the trees for granted. We think of looking for a tent site as a pain. Out west it's totally the opposite many places. I use about the same setup as you and I love it. I switch to a ccf pad for warmer temps. I'll wait for the book on Kindle, thanks for the review.

I recently stumbled across a "new" (to me, at least - when it comes to hammocking) knot for strap users. I probably won't go through the effort of posting a link on Youtube, though I might do so here later, if I get off my duff. Hint- if you use rings or a carabiner and can tie a necktie you should be able to figure it out. Funny thing is that it's probably old hat to folks who hang out at Hammock Forum.
    I don't spend any time there because I'd be "preaching to the choir" there. Here, at least, I might be able to make a few "converts" .
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

got and enjoyed the book. Shoot, missed Shug's video so didn't "save" the 13 percent. Oh well.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Images

Shug is a nut! I will order the book. Derek really knows his stuff. Look forward to the read.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

orions_knight,

Thanks for highlighting my book! It's taken me far too long to register with whiteblaze.net, so please accept my apologies for not responding earlier.

but it seems several times he goes out of his way to show how tents are worse than hammocks.
    Well, you caught me. I love hammocks! But I really don't hate tents (don't tell anyone, but I do occasionally have to use them). My goal was to be fair and responsible in how I describe both hammocks and tents. In the book, on page 11, there is a basic comparison between hammocks and tents, but beyond that I don't talk much about tents at all. The "negatives" on tents are things we all know: they can be cramped, get hot and muggy, and must be cleaned of muck (inside and out) before packing. I see these as just the facts about tents. Hammocks have their downsides too, and I believe I'm pretty honest about all the downsides (no need to sugar coat the fact that hammocks are harder to insulate, for example).

the only really off info was in the end when there is a really cool conversion table for weights and such(which is handy), i noticed that it says "1 cup = 16oz" and the next line is "2 cups = 16oz"
    Yup, that one slipped past me (and my editors!), but it's been fixed now (January, actually).

Thanks again for checking out my book. Please let me know if you have any questions! I'm planning to participate in Trail Days this year, so maybe I'll see you there.

Best,

~derek

Quote Originally Posted by onecamper View Post
    'll wait for the book on Kindle, thanks for the review.
    The Kindle version is live! Actually, the price was just slashed at Barnes and Nobel (Nook version), and then Amazon cut the Kindle version price. Both are available if you're still looking. I'm working with Apple to get the book on the iBookstore, so look for that in the next week.

anyone want to sell their copy? Ill buy :]

I reckon dejoha has plenty around...
    just call me TH
    woman with altitude

++ New Posts ++