WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Snow Cover on Stratton

Does anyone know how much snow cover there is currently on the top of Stratton Mountain on the Long Trail (not on the ski slopes)? Is there enough that snow shoes are warranted yet?
    Thanks!

I'm sure there is snow up there, but it is a bit early in the season for snowshoes. You reallly need a foot or two before they are useful, to cover up all the rocks and tree limbs. It will take a couple more storms for that to happen and stay that way.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hey thanks slo go'en - looks like stabilicers then - I guess I'll keep the snow shoes in the car just in case.

I have ended up carrying snowshoes up Stratton more then wearing up. This is a very popular trail and is usually packed down. That being said, someone has to be first on the trail after a big snow!
    You are never too old.

I was there the day before the big snow last week, and the snow was only ankle deep. By now I'd guess it's deeper, but probably not necessary to bring snowshoes yet. It's been pretty warm since that snow storm, so a lot of what fell must be gone already. The slopes of Mt Snow looked completely covered from what I could see at the top, though. Pretty crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by guthook View Post
    I was there the day before the big snow last week, and the snow was only ankle deep. By now I'd guess it's deeper, but probably not necessary to bring snowshoes yet. It's been pretty warm since that snow storm, so a lot of what fell must be gone already. The slopes of Mt Snow looked completely covered from what I could see at the top, though. Pretty crazy.
    My lifelong (40+ yrs) hiking buddy, Chuck, is a snow-maker on Mt Snow. He must be on the job!! lol
    You are never too old.

Hey, thanks everyone. Hiked Stratton yesterday starting at Arlington-Stratton Rd up to fire tower, down the North side to Stratton Pond and then back out to A-S Rd via SP Trail. There was little to no snow - only on North side of mountain in deepest shade. Wind was really whipping on top of the firetower. The puncheon boards on the SPT were as slick as oil on ice - I didn't go down, but I slid about six times. I think I was the only one on the mountain - really nice day!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by matty4242 View Post
    Hey, thanks everyone. Hiked Stratton yesterday starting at Arlington-Stratton Rd up to fire tower, down the North side to Stratton Pond and then back out to A-S Rd via SP Trail. There was little to no snow - only on North side of mountain in deepest shade. Wind was really whipping on top of the firetower. The puncheon boards on the SPT were as slick as oil on ice - I didn't go down, but I slid about six times. I think I was the only one on the mountain - really nice day!
    Nice, I have done that loop many times. Those puncheon boards are always slick! I camped at Stratton Pond on the north shore about a month ago during peak leaf season, was a great night. Got to watch the beavers gnawing and building. Didn't see the loon that is normally there though

++ New Posts ++