WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Scalped!!!!!!!!!!!!

PB050035.jpg

It looks so....helpless!!

Images

New roof going on Blood Mountain shelter? Been a few decades since I've been there. . .
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Yeppers! And if I'm not mistaken there is going to be some interior improvements.

Thanks for the Pic. I am heading up there tomorrow to check it out.

Images

I hope you get to see the mule train! I was so disappointed that no one was up there. But proud of my knee cause it did so good!!!

Glad to hear you knee is doing better.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I hope they knock down a wall while they're at it. We were up there a few months ago, and that shelter is nasty and smelly. Fully-enclosed shelters don't get enough ventilation to take care of the mice, humidity, and hiker funk. But a nice 3-sided shelter would be great up there.

Yeah, that old roof had to go. Certainly contributed to the creepiness.

Images

Waste of money to fix that pile of stinky rocks.
    It's a great day to be alive !

I was up there today. Pretty much a mess with all the orange and yellow plastic fencing. Many of the nice overlooks are blocked, including the one my wife and I often use looking out to the North.

The pack animals are not using much of the AT. Only about 50 yards at the top south of the shelter. They are coming up from Slaughter Creek road and then using a part of the Slaughter Creek trail and making a huge mess of it. Already muddy with plenty of crap to step through. Then going up towards Slaughter Gap and coming up from the opposite side the mountain.

I think I'll wait for the renovation to be completed before I head up that way again.

Glad to see it's getting some help.&nbsp; The photo showing the inside really brings back memories.<br><br> When I stayed there, we were so concerned we were going to lose the door to the wind when we finally got it open (it took several minutes to break through the ice), that we ended up using the windows for rest of the day and night.&nbsp; The windows were smaller, narrower and bolted from the inside,&nbsp; so they could be opened and closed by just one person.&nbsp; <br><br>I'll never forget the place-&nbsp; the indoor fireplace was wonderful; someone had left a small pile of wood so we made a fire (one of the very few fires&nbsp; I ever contributed to on the AT) there to warm gloves, etc. while we fired up the stove for hot drinks to warm ourselves.&nbsp;&nbsp; Having the four stone walls made us feel much safer while the shutters on all the windows really helped to keep it warmer, though it was still frigid. <br><br>I can see where this place might not be ideal under ideal weather conditions, but if the weather's ideal, then don't stay there!<br><br> I've never needed a shelter as much as I needed the Blood Mountain shelter, and I'm very glad to see that it will still be there.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    I hope they knock down a wall while they're at it. We were up there a few months ago, and that shelter is nasty and smelly. Fully-enclosed shelters don't get enough ventilation to take care of the mice, humidity, and hiker funk. But a nice 3-sided shelter would be great up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmac_in View Post
    eyesore and not needed. remove it

Glad it's getting some renovation. That place has provided shelter more than once for me over the years. When it comes down to it, that pile of rocks is nice to have.

Images

If I am northbound on Blood Mt, the lure of food and a shower at Neels Gap are too much incentive. No camping for me in that shelter.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Anyone know how far along the work has come?

Images

As a stoneworker and CCC buff I like it from the photos but I won't get to see it in person till next winter/spring so leave it up till then eh? As far as the whole wilderness ethic goes we humans are an integral part of nature so I say leave it up. If it is indeed 70 plus years old then how is tearing it down different from settlers of the 1900's tearing down native american settlements of the 1830's? 2.4 miles is not too far for the industrious to haul boards and nails up from Neels Gap.

Quote Originally Posted by mgeiger View Post
    Glad it's getting some renovation. That place has provided shelter more than once for me over the years. When it comes down to it, that pile of rocks is nice to have.
    I totally agree and the CCC boys are probably smiling as well.

I was planning on staying there next week... looks like my plans will be changing.. Any news on how the works going?

CF97 > Everything Else.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac_in View Post
    If my memory serves me well Earl Shaffer said there! It's part of AT history no matter how much it stinks, and a part of American history... the CCC built it. Let's preserve our history. It would be a different story if it was some rotten wooden cabin that was falling down -- a rebuild and commemorative plaque would be more fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    If I am northbound on Blood Mt, the lure of food and a shower at Neels Gap are too much incentive. No camping for me in that shelter.
    Same here!
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

CF97 > Everything Else.

Two of my friends hiked up to Blood Mountain on Friday. They posted a photo on facebook... I asked about the shelter and my buddy said, "Still smelled like lacquer when we walked by." No pictures of the shelter though.
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++