WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Speed Hike 2012

Default Speed Hike 2012

I'm throwing my hat in the ring for a speed hike in 2012. I will be 46 so I figure it is now or never. I don't doubt that I can average 30 miles per day. It's those extra miles that are the question. Weather, blisters, and repetitive stress will be the main issues. I don't need lots of sleep or creature comforts. I shall start my training today in the desert and mountains outside of San Diego. It will be a south to north venture since I am a Maine native and would like to finish on Katahdin. The plan is for mostly walking, but if I feel that I need to jog a little, I will.

The Walker

Images

Assume you mean unsupported, carrying your gear and resupplying on your own, etc. Doing one or two or three 30 mile days is certainly possible (not for me), but there are a few people here on WB who can probably do that kind of mileage. Averaging 30 mpd over the course of the entire trail though is a different story. That's a 72 day thru-hike. A 40 mile day for every 20 mile day. My guess would be that probably less than a dozen people have ever done an unsupported thru averaging 30. If you aren't currently regularly hiking that kind of distance on terrain similar to the AT, I think you're in for a tough "learning experience". But good luck!
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by The Walker View Post
    I'm throwing my hat in the ring for a speed hike in 2012. I will be 46 so I figure it is now or never. I don't doubt that I can average 30 miles per day. It's those extra miles that are the question. Weather, blisters, and repetitive stress will be the main issues. I don't need lots of sleep or creature comforts. I shall start my training today in the desert and mountains outside of San Diego. It will be a south to north venture since I am a Maine native and would like to finish on Katahdin. The plan is for mostly walking, but if I feel that I need to jog a little, I will.

The Walker
    I'm...I will...I don't doubt...I can... I don' need...I shall...I am...I feel...I need...I will...

Sorry, blah...blah..., another sprinter...

Quote Originally Posted by Arius View Post
    I'm...I will...I don't doubt...I can... I don' need...I shall...I am...I feel...I need...I will...

Sorry, blah...blah..., another sprinter...
    From your post, one might conclude that you take issue with those who hike at a speed which is faster than your own. I don't understand this mentality. Why does it matter to you? It's his hike.
    Roland

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

>>Why does it matter to you? It's his hike.

It's call HMHDI.

To quote " ...different from my way is bad. Different from my way is incorrect. Different from my way is not enjoyable. HIKE MY HIKE – DAMN IT!"

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

The Walker
    If it's your first thru attempt why don't you just do it at a leisurely pace and enjoy it? Then you can go do it for speed in a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

It's call HMHDI.

To quote " ...different from my way is bad. Different from my way is incorrect. Different from my way is not enjoyable. HIKE MY HIKE – DAMN IT!"

I suppose that's it. You can hike your own hike, as long as you do it my way.
    Roland

Images

To me, setting a "deadline" like this is a setup for additional mental stress............its easy to throw out numbers and miles, the AT is so incredibly tough at times that committing to really high miles on end is, well, a setup.

Images

It's call HMHDI.

I still bust a gut laughing everytime i read your HMHDI article Mags!
    My absolute favorite is: "The shelter you can build with the correct knife".
    It just kills me!
    Anyhow.. everyone carry on with the bickering.. I am gonna check out that HMHDI thread agian!
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Supported record of Jennifer Pharr Davis: 46 days 11 hours 20 minutes (46.92 miles per day)
    Unsupported record of Ward Leonard: 60.5 days (36.03 miles per day)

This will be a supported attempt since the disadvantages of an unsupported attempt seem to me to far outweigh the 10.89 fewer miles required per day.

Is anybody else attempting a speed hike for next summer?

Lone Wolf, have you made any support team commitments for next summer?

Best of luck.
    Have you hike multiple 30 mile days before? Don't underestimate the mental fatigue.
    I hiked two 35 mile days in GSMNP last month. Physically I was fine but a few more days at that pace would burn me out.
    Last edited by aaronthebugbuffet; 11-06-2011 at 21:22.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Images

If this goal makes your blood boil and hike the AT so let it be.Good Luck with best intentions. You just want to speed hike it or you want to break any records?

How long have you been in woods? how much preparation would you put into it?

Is it unsupported or .... many many other factors come to mind. But at the end it is you that makes the journey.

Keep in mind that your health is more important than any record ,even personal ones,. Even the best records would be broken sooner than later.

You know if Ausian Bolt runs the AT with his unbelievable speed( and just keeps his speed the whole trail!!!) he can be a thru hiker in less than 5 days, But can he?

Images

Stringing together 30 mile days isn't overly challenging for someone who has trained and is properly motivated. I would disagree that the supported record will be easier than unsupported. Those extra 11 per day will be tough. I would think a very lightweight unsupported attempt would be the way to go.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Anyhow.. everyone carry on with the bickering.. I am gonna check out that HMHDI thread agian!

It is by far the most popular article on my website. Think I'll update it a little bit in the near future!

I see sections on dogs, electronics, sponsorship and record attempts as probable additions.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

It is by far the most popular article on my website. Think I'll update it a little bit in the near future!

I see sections on dogs, electronics, sponsorship and record attempts as probable additions.
    I truly believe that in order to keep hiking pure, you should solicit sponsorships and donations to finance further efforts in spreading the HMHDI gospel. Perhaps even a HMHDI hike funded by contributors? A tactfully worded section unabashedly begging for money and offering advertising, logo placement, product endorsements, etc., placed right after the "Making Money Off Outdoor Pursuits" section would be very apropos. Just my 2 cents (which is about all you're getting off me).
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I personally don't see the logic in assuming a 'supported' daily average of 47 miles per day will be easier then an 'unsupported' daily average of 36 miles. I think this view can only come from someone who has never hiked 36 miles, let alone 47. Think about it this way, 47 miles per day breaks down to 3.1 miles per hour, for 15 hours per day. That leaves 9 hours for everything else, getting water, eating, resting, patching blisters, changing socks, and sleeping. Jennifer Pharr Davis has made multiple attempts before her latest record, and her best effort was 47 miles per day, it would be absolutely huge for anyone to break that record.

On the supported side of things, Ward's record of 36 miles per day (set in 1990 no less) is fairly robust as well. The only hikers I know who have managed to average 36 per day unsupported are Andrew Skurka, who's best time is 38 miles per day average for 45 days on the PCT, and of course Scott Williamson who might as well be superman as far as many are concerned. Justin Lichter managed a average of 28 miles per day on his 10,000 mile hike years ago, and Skurka again only maintained a daily average of 33 miles per day on his Great Western Loop hike. So to break Ward's record, you would have to out hike Andrew Skurka - think about that!

I'm not speed hiker but if I made an attempt on AT speed hike, I would make a trial run. I don't mind doing longer days, and have repeatedly hiked back-to-back 25's and 27's, with the odd 30 thrown in for good measure. For me, there is a huge difference between 25 miles and 30 miles, but not a big difference between 21-25 for example. Before you announce something like this, you may want to do a 300-400 miles section of the mid-atlantic, and see if you can average 40 miles per day, thing will probably get real clear, real quick.

But the record will be broken eventually, so it's worth a shot. For me, Ward's record is the one that counts.

The Walker
    Supported record of Jennifer Pharr Davis: 46 days 11 hours 20 minutes (46.92 miles per day)
    Unsupported record of Ward Leonard: 60.5 days (36.03 miles per day)

This will be a supported attempt since the disadvantages of an unsupported attempt seem to me to far outweigh the 10.89 fewer miles required per day.

Is anybody else attempting a speed hike for next summer?

Lone Wolf, have you made any support team commitments for next summer?
    I'm confused. In your OP you say you doubt that you could average 30mpd, leaving me thinking you're just going to do an unsupported speed hike with the only intent of seeing just how fast you can do it. Then in post 10 you say you're going to do a supported speed hike, but you're not even sure you can best the best unsupported time. So why go to the trouble and expense of a supported speed hike?

Images

Go for it Walker! Nothing wrong with setting a goal of 30+miles per day average and seeing how/if you can achieve that pace on your thru hike. It sounds like you are only half serious and that if you can't do it, you will still enjoy and complete your thru hike. So, why not! One thing that i've realized with myself is that by making an idea public, you make the idea more real in your own head and increase the prospect of achieving the idea.

Over the past few years, even before Jenn's record hike, i've maintained that the supported record will be broken before the unsupported record. If for no other reason than there are a lot more attempts on the supported record.

Journal Entries

I'm thinking of doing an unsupported mid winter hike with a team of huskies and a collapsible sleigh for the smoother terrain.
    Figure I could do close to thirty miles a day!
    J

Journal Entries

Just how steep is Mount Washington anyway...
    Albert in the south kinda concerns me too...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++