WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Lost Cove Trail and Devil's Creek Trail now joined

For those of you who are in East Tennessee and Western NC who like to explore Pisgah National Forest there's some good news - The Devil's Creek Trail is now connected to the Lost Cove Trail - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b15rE...eature=related. In the past you had to bushwhack .3 of a mile to get from one trail to the other.

This will make getting to the abandoned community of Lost Cove much easier.

You can also make a 10 mile loop hike, essentially around Flattop Mountain but taking FR 5506 from the AT Junction 1.5 miles north of Spivey's Gap, to Devil's Creek Trail to the Lost Cove Trail, to FR 278 and back to the AT Junction at FR 5506.

To access the trailhead at 5506 you can hike in on the AT (north) from Spivey's Gap or you can drive to the trailhead by turning left on FR 278 about a half mile before you get to Spivey's Gap which will take you to the gate marking the beginning of 5506. It's easy to find....

Lots of exploring to be done in Pisgah, as well as Cherokee National Forests.....
    Last edited by 10-K; 11-07-2011 at 09:11.

Images

Good news,I"ve always wanted to go to Lost Cove and this look's like a good way to get there.Only hope the 4-wheelers don't start ripping through there too....

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I have been to Lost Cove via USFS 278 and Joe Lewis Fields. The Lost Cove Trail was actually part of the old road system down to the settlement. The trail doesn't go there since its still privately owned.

I just used a topo and some vague directions and walked right into it.

Let me know if you want directions.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    I have been to Lost Cove via USFS 278 and Joe Lewis Fields. The Lost Cove Trail was actually part of the old road system down to the settlement. The trail doesn't go there since its still privately owned.

I just used a topo and some vague directions and walked right into it.

Let me know if you want directions.
    I'll probably go in Jan.You say that Lost Cove is privately owned,would it be a problem to go there and stealth camp,LNT off course.It's not like I'm taking a large group&to party,discharge firearms&throw beer cans all over.Just me&1 friend in to check out the place and hike out next AM....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    For those of you who are in East Tennessee and Western NC who like to explore Pisgah National Forest there's some good news - The Devil's Creek Trail is now connected to the Lost Cove Trail - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b15rE...eature=related. In the past you had to bushwhack .3 of a mile to get from one trail to the other.

This will make getting to the abandoned community of Lost Cove much easier.

You can also make a 10 mile loop hike, essentially around Flattop Mountain but taking FR 5506 from the AT Junction 1.5 miles north of Spivey's Gap, to Devil's Creek Trail to the Lost Cove Trail, to FR 278 and back to the AT Junction at FR 5506.

To access the trailhead at 5506 you can hike in on the AT (north) from Spivey's Gap or you can drive to the trailhead by turning left on FR 278 about a half mile before you get to Spivey's Gap which will take you to the gate marking the beginning of 5506. It's easy to find....

Lots of exploring to be done in Pisgah, as well as Cherokee National Forests.....
    FWIW The last time I was there the sign said SPIVEY GAP.Although you're not from around here you are starting to sound like it .....LOL...IMG_2443.JPG

I get it honest... I wasn't raised here but I was born in Oak Ridge and 90% of the people I'm related to live between Rose Hill, VA, Middlesboro, KY, and Bristol, VA.

I remember going to see my aunts and uncles when I was around 5 years old outside of Pennington Gap and they had just got electricity and still used an out house.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    FWIW The last time I was there the sign said SPIVEY GAP.Although you're not from around here you are starting to sound like it .....LOL...

IMG_2443.JPG

Images

uh oh...is it neel gap or neel's gap?
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Images

i'm gonna hit these trails tomorrow!
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

I drove up to the Lost Cove trailhead at FR 278 this afternoon and hiked the trail to the new Devil's Creek Trail junction then took the Devil's Creek Trail over to the AT and hiked back into Erwin.

The connector trail is well done, blazed and easy to follow so getting into Lost Cove from the Devil's Creek Trail should now be a no brainer.

But the easiest way to get into Lost Cove would be just to hike the Lost Cove Trail from where it starts at FR 278...

BTW, the views of the Nolichucky Gorge are splendid!

++ New Posts ++