WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Default Hiking while drawing Unemployment Compensation

Am I off-base here? I suspect the answer is that I am just getting old, but here's the story:

I was out on a section hike recently and spent a night at a shelter with some SOBO's in their early 20's. I was impressed with their physical abilities, commitment to completing, etc., but then one of them remarked that he was financing his hike by collecting unemployment. In fact, his unemployment had stopped one time and he was mad that he had to have his mom send in a few job applications for him while he kept hiking so he could start getting checks again.

I know the economy is tough, but nobody is going to find a job while walking on a ridgeline in Virginia. This chapped me in a way that BodyGlide couldn't fix. Am I wrong?

Images

Nope. That's what's going wrong with America today. 99 weeks of unemployment?? Yikes. early 20's and no job, but unemployment? Yikes x2. Relying on mommy to send you apps? Priceless.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Perhaps you are wrong...it is after all "Hike your own hike". Truthfully this kid was dumb for no other reason then bragging...you could have been a fed for all he knew. You have no Right also to tell him how he would spend his money...if that were true we would be the "USSA" Not the USA. Besides he was floating the economy in his own way...regardless of your disapproval.

Images

And we 50 somethings are hoping are hiking muscles hold up till retirement, he just needs that check to replace his gear to go occupy wall street.

Default mathewski----is that you---??

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    Perhaps you are wrong...it is after all "Hike your own hike". Truthfully this kid was dumb for no other reason then bragging...you could have been a fed for all he knew. You have no Right also to tell him how he would spend his money...if that were true we would be the "USSA" Not the USA. Besides he was floating the economy in his own way...regardless of your disapproval.
    these are the types that won't pay at hostles, etc. Expecting that the world owes them a living. Gives the rest of us a bad rep in towns........
    Maybe his mom can cast his vote for the incumbent so he can keep hiking while getting free stuff
    he's hiking and I'm working---- go figure!

Not a responsible way to live. It depends on the state laws, but every state I know requires you to fill out a form periodically to stay on the gravy train. There is no free lunch, folks. We reap what we sow. I guess there is decent paying work out there somewhere. Utah? Take what you can get, and then use that humble position as a positive for your next job. Many jobs are not "fun", that is why it is called "work". HR looks over resumes carefully to see what kind of person they will be spending resources on. If it is someone who will head for the exits at the first bit of trouble, they won't give him/her a chance.

Last time I checked the complaints about people not paying included "Papa smurf" certainly not someone of a young age. Though the more I look at the issues and the condemning of this kid...it strikes be everyone is over forty or close to it. Perhaps age discrimination is the right word here. Age is not relevent I have met plenty of fifty something hikers on trail...who were pricks and kids who were cool as hell. Its many more issues then just saying the world owes them something...our generation is rock solid...it was yours who screwed the pooch aka the Government is failing on your watch not our own. Perhaps reflect in the people of a generation instead of...lumping one bad apple with a whole bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    I know the economy is tough, but nobody is going to find a job while walking on a ridgeline in Virginia. This chapped me in a way that BodyGlide couldn't fix. Am I wrong?
    I don't know if I could have contained myself. I would like to think I would have kept my words to myself......but it would have been hard.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    except the money he is spending doesnt sound like it is his money at all. and let me reply to the reply i'm sure youll give me-
    a) being young i doubt hes worked enough to contribute much of anything, so the money he is collecting is not him getting back what hes put in.
    b) hes not REALLY looking for work, so he is therefore not following the rules and receiving the money fraudulently.

Images

I do know that this 50 something responder has worked since he was 16, except the 4 years serving my country. My 27 year old hasn't been on the AT since he was 13.... but, he's been woking since 16 also. I guess when you've been working for as long as most of us responders, who only can dream of taking the time off to thru, you get alittle testie at welfare cheats!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    Am I off-base here? I suspect the answer is that I am just getting old, but here's the story:

I was out on a section hike recently and spent a night at a shelter with some SOBO's in their early 20's. I was impressed with their physical abilities, commitment to completing, etc., but then one of them remarked that he was financing his hike by collecting unemployment. In fact, his unemployment had stopped one time and he was mad that he had to have his mom send in a few job applications for him while he kept hiking so he could start getting checks again.

If it makes you feel any better, the unemployment insurance payments are fully taxable income and have been seen as such by the IRS since the mid 80's.

Let's see... felony fraud; taxpayer money, not his; floating the economy - more likely his kidneys at stops in towns. Sounds more like a lifestyle than a hike. No age distinction in this picture. The indignation is appropriate. Scammers don't deserve our admiration; they certainly don't admire the rest of us.

On the other hand, I expect that the great majority of people on unemployment are searching for work, some desperately, and that damn few are using the checks to vacation on the trail or elsewhere.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

its a great strategy. Hike on benefits(at our expense). finish the hike, come off the trail to no job, benefits have run out. great strategy.
    youth is wasted on the young.

Images

I hiked with a VET one year who was getting VA disability for a back injury. Great guy, but I always thought he was ripping off the system.

Images

i give the vets a pass. we owe them a lot more than disability.

Images

Amen to that!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    i give the vets a pass. we owe them a lot more than disability.
    I'm with you on this one. I didn't serve, and respect those that choose to. They did a job for us whilst I sat on my butt in whatever cushie job I had/have. I'll give em a part of my tax $ for doing that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by XCskiNYC View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, the unemployment insurance payments are fully taxable income and have been seen as such by the IRS since the mid 80's.
    doesn't matter if it is 'taxable income' He's still going to be in the 49% that doesn't pay any federal income tax!
    ---but I'm not paying my 'fair share'??

Images

I see the indignation and sanctimony Mode is On HIGH in this thread, to the extent that it may be violating our Terms of Service here and there.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++