WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default The Prejudice Men Face

I saw the thread over at the women only site. I thought I would throw this out there for men who feel that political correctness sometimes becomes a bit too active....

Women have fears and don't like to be stereotyped, what about men? We get stereotyped too, hikers are expected to fit a certain profile, exercise jocks, macho, drop-outs, escapists or whatever.

I'll throw out this zinger that I came across the other day. You think that women are the only rape targets or victims, well men can be too. http://www.hopeforhealing.org/male.html

Images

some women are stronger hikers than men. some men are stronger hikers than women. some women are better prepared to defend themselves than men, some men are better prepared to defend themselves than women.some men still will hold a door open for a womean. some women will still appreciate it without going into a feminist tirade.not all, but some.

I'm a lawyer - the judges in our state hate men. You don't have to convince me they face discrimination.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Images

Discimination exists everywhere and with anyone for all reasons.

For instance, I'm disciminated against based on my:
    Sex
    Race
    Height
    Foot size (I knew a friend who wouldn't date a man based on his shoe size)
    Political Affiliation
    Religion
    Experience

The list can continue. I'm just saying it's everything.

Know what? The mice in the shelters don't care if you're male, female, trans-gendered, gay, or lesbian.

Probably a good topic (probably) for a website on such topics. I thought this one was about hiking. You have a problem with a social condition or societal norm or prejudice, get on the street and organise.

Images

Once in one of my long hikes I found myself lost in the forest for about two hours. When I was struggling to find my way to trail I saw a young female hiker who clearly was afraid of me. I just wanted to ask the direction from her but as I speeded up she did the same, so I stopped going her way even when I knew it should be the right direction just because she was not comfortable at least to say.

Then I found my way to trail almost accidentally and then realized that, wow, she was lost like me. It was almost dark so I made a camp in the forrest and after 2 hours being worried about her safety in forest, she found her way to my camp. Then not having any other option she decided to trust me for the night.

She told me that night that she was scared of me because of my look. I dont call it discrimination but I think things could have gone a lot smoother for us if there was no natural discrimination.If she was a he or I was a she then we could comunicate a lot sooner, right?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post

She told me that night that she was scared of me because of my look. I dont call it discrimination but I think things could have gone a lot smoother for us if there was no natural discrimination.If she was a he or I was a she then we could comunicate a lot sooner, right?
    I would rather be scared of you and find out later that you were ok than to not be scared of you and find out later you weren't.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I would rather be scared of you and find out later that you were ok than to not be scared of you and find out later you weren't.
    Fair enough but who suffers from this natural sex related mistrust ,nobody.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Fair enough but who suffers from this natural sex related mistrust ,nobody.
    I think it's just common sense really. No harm, no foul.

Journal Entries
    Images

Crap - here you are talking about mistrust and usually I just get folks who come down the trail - look once, twice, and then run away!

Hey Scratch - you know what they say about Big FEET?

Big Shoes....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

shouldn't this thread be in the humor forum?

eggszachary.

Journal Entries
    Images

Damn I thought it was in the Humor section..... did it again.....

Now what was I doing.....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Once in one of my long hikes I found myself lost in the forest for about two hours. When I was struggling to find my way to trail I saw a young female hiker who clearly was afraid of me. I just wanted to ask the direction from her but as I speeded up she did the same, so I stopped going her way even when I knew it should be the right direction just because she was not comfortable at least to say.

Then I found my way to trail almost accidentally and then realized that, wow, she was lost like me. It was almost dark so I made a camp in the forrest and after 2 hours being worried about her safety in forest, she found her way to my camp. Then not having any other option she decided to trust me for the night.

I would just like to thank you for recognizing her fear and being understanding enough to change direction and let her leave. Nice guys understand why a girl might be scared in that situation and you proved you were a nice guy. Probably you doing that allowed her to trust you later when she saw you again.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    ...some men still will hold a door open for a womean. some women will still appreciate it without going into a feminist tirade.not all, but some.
    I only hold the door open for hot girls and I never hold a door open for old people. I figure they need the exercise more than me; I guess that qualifies for tough love, but imagine many would prejudge me as an ass hole

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I only hold the door open for hot girls and I never hold a door open for old people. I figure they need the exercise more than me; I guess that qualifies for tough love, but imagine many would prejudge me as an ass hole
    So...you discriminate on the basis of age, eh? I hold the door open for anyone who is close enough that otherwise it would slam on them.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

it has been proven that beautiful men and women earn more money than their average looking counterparts. I belong to the 99%.discrimination is indiscriminate.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    It is up to you to keep the door open for anybody you want!!! but what is the gain to talk about your not-so-much-friendly appraoch to elderly here? I think you were joking though

I always open the door for my cat.....and hot chics.... thinking, thinking...nope that's it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++