WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I always open the door for my cat.....and hot chics.... thinking, thinking...nope that's it.
    Are the hot chics dumb enough to walk in?
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Aren't they all

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    Once in one of my long hikes I found myself lost in the forest for about two hours. When I was struggling to find my way to trail I saw a young female hiker who clearly was afraid of me. I just wanted to ask the direction from her but as I speeded up she did the same, so I stopped going her way even when I knew it should be the right direction just because she was not comfortable at least to say.

Then I found my way to trail almost accidentally and then realized that, wow, she was lost like me. It was almost dark so I made a camp in the forrest and after 2 hours being worried about her safety in forest, she found her way to my camp. Then not having any other option she decided to trust me for the night.

She told me that night that she was scared of me because of my look. I dont call it discrimination but I think things could have gone a lot smoother for us if there was no natural discrimination.If she was a he or I was a she then we could comunicate a lot sooner, right?
    Well in this vein, too many times people (but let's stick with women in this example) will have that innate pit in the stomach feeling that something isn't right about someone - We all pick up these signals without being aware that we are doing it. Many times, though, women will put this off under the auspices that
    A: This is the 2000's and I am a strong woman, no one is going to do something...
    B: my mind is playing tricks on me,
    C: this is nonsense no one is going to hurt me - stop acting like a baby....
    So I applaud her at her evasionary manoeuvre's.

What I don't like is that men have become fodder for advertisers to make us look like dufus's while making women look brilliant (soap commercials, insurance commercials, Beer commercials, chip commercials...) If they reversed table and made women look like idiots and men as shining stars, there would be sheer hell to pay.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

What I don't like is that men have become fodder for advertisers to make us look like dufus's while making women look brilliant (soap commercials, insurance commercials, Beer commercials, chip commercials...) If they reversed table and made women look like idiots and men as shining stars, there would be sheer hell to pay.
    everyone loves raymond.

"Well in this vein, too many times people (but let's stick with women in this example) will have that innate pit in the stomach feeling that something isn't right about someone - We all pick up these signals without being aware that we are doing it".

I never got those "signals" but maybe I am thick.

There are a lot of "issues" of possible bias here. The woods are about the most vulnerable place people find themselves in.

I try to turn around any given situation and ask if if were the other sex that was acting like that would it be inappropriate.

So we have men being reported for indecent exposure; when was the last time you saw a woman being reported for that? We have men being reported for sexual harassment, when was the last time you saw a woman reported for that? We see men going to jail for years for various inappropriate sexual transgressions, when was the last time you saw a woman going to jail for that? These are biased situations, and as the lawyer said earlier, she sees it every day in the culture she works in.

Cultural shifts take time to settle and get accepted, and we deal with them differently. Some people shove well-intended agendas and wonder why everybody doesn't hop on board, some blindly resist change, and most try their best to adjust (the grownups). They can play out lopsided zigzagging on the road to balance, as in advertising mentioned already that portrays men as clueless sneufs, in reparation mentality (I'm not talking racial) where reason flies out the window, and in other interactions on the job or on the street. Works best to keep an open mind.

Images

here in NY we've had a few female teachers having inappropriate relationships with students, and its not isolated to NY.men dont get reported for indecent exposure unless theyre exposing themselves. Hey, Im a guy, and I dont get the argument. men make more money, are(generally) physically larger and stronger, and if a couple goes out to dinner, the check, by default , is presented to the male..There is definitely a bias towards women in family court, but outside of that, how many women presidents have we had?I guess if you're at a feminist rally or walk into a lesbian club, you would get looked at as a bit strange, but wouldnt you be?
    we need women. otherwise we'd never stop and ask for directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    ...What I don't like is that men have become fodder for advertisers to make us look like dufus's while making women look brilliant (soap commercials, insurance commercials, Beer commercials, chip commercials...) If they reversed table and made women look like idiots and men as shining stars, there would be sheer hell to pay.
    Not just ads or sitcoms. What really p'd me off was when my kids were young 25 years ago, we had these Berenstein Bears books supposedly aimed at educating young children on things they'd encounter growing up. Invariably, the Momma was portrayed as the wise, organized, in-command parent while the Pappa was the bumbling dufus. I don't know what the h*** motivated the authors/publishers to present the roles that way but after a while, I refused to read them. My wife at the time was indifferent; my kids liked them but I found other books to read to them.

Images

wheres ward cleaver?didnt father know best?didnt they used to make room for daddy?
    or has alice always been smarter than ralph?

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    wheres ward cleaver?didnt father know best?didnt they used to make room for daddy?
    or has alice always been smarter than ralph?
    You forgot Lucy & Ricky

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    You forgot Lucy & Ricky
    or lucy and charlie brown-"hey charlie brown, want me to hold the ball for you?"

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

it has been proven that beautiful men and women earn more money than their average looking counterparts.
    Yes, yes we do.

Images

political correctness is a concept that can deny our history.WWII bugs bunny cartoons no longer air on TV because of the way japanese were portrayed, and when was the last time you saw an epsiode of the little rascals? theres no doubt that there are racist overtones in each, and yet ,it saddens me that we dont want to see where we were , to see how far we've come as a society.IMHO, political correctness is another form of reverse bias.all part of the dumbing down of america.

A few other examples come to mind:

Squaw Mountain in Greenville, ME has been renamed Moose Mountain; some people found the name objectionable.

Every time I walk down the snack aisle at the supermarket and see box after box labelled "crackers", I, and many other white people are deeply offended. We need to boycott the "cracker" manufacturers until they change the name to "biscuits" like the English so respectfully did many years ago.

Images

some women are stronger hikers than men.
    Jennifer Farr Davis is a good example.

I only hold the door open for hot girls and I never hold a door open for old people. I figure they need the exercise more than me; I guess that qualifies for tough love, but imagine many would prejudge me as an ass hole
    That's okay, hot girls hold the door open for me (old coot). I don't get offended at all.

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh Marta - you love to stir things up..... most use a stick .... Yours is a hiking pole.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

... but imagine many would prejudge me as an ass hole
    And if what you said were all true, you would be astute!

Rain Man

Last edited by Rain Man; 11-08-2011 at 10:20.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

everyone loves raymond.
    Why, thank you!

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 11-08-2011 at 10:20.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

Images

"Political correctness" is a term invented by those who wish to mindlessly demonize the concept of walking a mile in someone else's shoes.

Rain Man

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++