WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Garlic
    Images

In cold weather, it's the bag and extra clothing, for sure. I go pretty light with my shelter (single wall) and pack (frameless) because I've found I can sleep well and walk easily with those items. In summer, they're all about the same. Great comments above about consumables and body weight. Managing those items are very important.

Many hikers believe packing lighter will cost major bucks. There is a myth going around that for every one pound you loose from your pack, it will cost $100 extra. I've found the reverse to be true (with the exception of high quality down, but then you own high quality down which is always a good thing regardless of weight). Compare prices at Tarptent.com and Gossamergear.com. I've been very pleased with prices, service and quality from these "cottage industry" folks--they're avid hikers, too. I've consistently been able to find light weight stuff like rain gear and shoes on sale or in excellent used condition. My complete AT thru hike gear list weighed nine pounds cost me about $850 new (excluding shoes), for example.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TammyLynn View Post
    Tent
    Mountain Hardware Drifter 2 ~ 5.5lbs

Sleeping Bag
    Mountain Hardware Switch 20 dg Long Women's ~ 3.15lbs

Pack
    GoLite Women's Odessey ~ 3.2lbs and 4758cu
    Kelty Lakota 65 Pack ~ 4.1lbs and 4000cu
    Sierra Designs Women's Jubilee 65 ~ 3.9lbs and 3800cu

Would these be unreasonable weights?
    This is for a thru-hike? Then yes, these are unreasonable weights. That list is more than 12 pounds for the big 3. It's easy these days to get all of these items in the ~2 pound range, meaning that your pack+tent+bag will weigh around 6 pounds (which is about what your proposed tent weighs all by itself.) You have to haul that extra six pounds up and down every mountain all the way to Maine.

A ULA Circuit, Tarptent Rainbow, and a good down 20-F bag will weigh 6-7 pounds total. While these items are not inexpensive, you'll find the weight savings priceless. Of course, there are plenty of other alternatives in the same range, and many of these are available here in excellent condition slightly used. Look for items from Lightheart, Tarptent, Six Moons Designs, ULA, Zpacks, and other small manufacturers making gear specifically for long distance hikers.

If the gear is for weekend hikes, you can safely ignore everything I just wrote.

Happy trails.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Why do you need a 2 person tent? This tent is heavy. A cheaper tent that's 2 lb that's a lot cheaper ($125) is the 6 moon design Skyscape scout http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/SkyscapeScout.html. Tarptent.com has a number of 1p and 2p tents that are roomy and a bit more expensive. http://www.tarptent.com/allproducts.html.

The MH switch 20 bag has an EN temp comfort rating of 34F. I suspect you'll be cold in this in March in the southern mountains. It'll take up a lot more volume in your pack than a cheap down bag (check out campmor's store brand).

Minimize weight and volume as much as you can before you buy your pack. If you bring your weight down enough, the pack's suspension is less important and you can use a smaller lighter pack. Golite sometimes has sales. My golite Jam is good for 20 to 25 lb and I paid $56 shipped. The Pinnacle holds more, but if the weight goes up too much you'll need a better suspension.

Do you own these items already or is this what you are thinking of buying?

You can get a tent that is much lighter than 5 1/2 pounds.

I'm currently carrying a 50 pound tub of lard, as emergency rations.
    Thinking I could trim it down some, and still be safe.

Other than that, I have a number of items that are all around 2 pounds.
    sleeping bag, bivy, in winter a sweater and long underwear are about that also.
    I have a winter bag at 3 pounds. I guess that would be me heaviest single item.

Hike smarter, not harder.

For 3 season hiking, my tent/pack/sleeping bag are all in the 1.5# range each. And I wish you guys would quit talking about excess baggage around the middle.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Default A little different with a hammock

Hard to equate as I hammock camp, so with neither a sleeping bag nor a tent, it becomes a bit of a juggling game, especially with different seasons.

Summer
    36.7 oz ULA Circuit
    50.8 oz Mosquito Hammock and tarp
    29.2 oz Summer Quilts (good above 40°F)

Winter
    36.7 oz ULA Circuit
    34.8 oz Winter hammock and tarp
    48.1 oz Winter quilts (good to 15°F)

So, during the summer, my shelter (hammock and tarp) is the heaviest. I could easily go to a smaller tarp and save some weight, but I like the large tarp I have, as it will keep me dry in most any conditions.

However, during the winter, with a lighter, non-mosquito hammock, it is my quilts which weigh more. But that is still right at 3 lbs. No complaints on either weight.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts and your research. I will most certainly be considering everything said. Yes, it is for a thru-hike, and I felt what I was looking at would be too heavy, but it's more reassuring to hear it from people who have already been there. I've checked out the tarp tents before, and must confess I'm a little leary of them, just for the reason that, especially with as early as I'm leaving, the potential exists for some extreme weather and multiple days stuck in a tent. I would feel more secure in something sturdier than a tarp. And I don't have a budget that would allow me to buy two separate tents and switch them out once the warm weather hits. That doesn't, however, mean I won't research them a little more.

Another consideration, and the reason I chuckled at those who were talking about body weight - I am by no means a small girl. I'm hoping to lose a little more weight before starting the trail, but I know I'm going to be starting in a round shape and moving slowly at first. I have experience hiking and mountain climbing in New Brunswick, Canada, and Maine (not Kathadin, but other places), but that doesn't mean I'm suited for it day after day in the very beginning. So I appreciate those comments, too. I know they say a pack shouldn't be more than a third of your body weight, well...for me, that's one heavy pack! So I have to take my build into consideration as well, especially in the beginning.

Thank you again, and I'm open for more, if anyone else has something to say.
    -Tammy (a-ka) <><

Will Turner
    : This is either madness or brilliance.
    Captian Jack Sparrow: It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide.
    (POTC - The Curse of the Black Pearl)

Images

Tarptent is a brand name. They are full-featured single-wall tents with complete bug protection, the whole nine yards. They seem to be a popular choice for thru-hikers. As with all single-wall tents you'll need to pay attention to condensation and that may mean anything from carefully adjusting the sidewall edges for ventilation to spending a portion of the night sponging off moisture from the ceiling/wall. There are several threads here on Tarptents and single-wall tents from other makers such as Six Moon Designs.

Another popular option is the hybrid design that combines a single-wall in part of the tent with a double wall in the rest. Many people on this board mention the Lightheart positively. SMD has a new hybrid design out now also.

If you'd prefer a double-wall tent the MSR Hubba is popular here (about three pounds). That came to mind as you mentioned riding out a storm in the tent. Nothing's going to be as comfortable or foolproof as a double-wall tent for spending hours in a severe rain/wind event. Then again, you may end up ducking into a shelter or even a motel room if the weather gets extremely challenging.

I don't use a tent or a sleeping bag, I use a hammock and quilts, but considering those as substitutes, my quilts (2) are heaviest at 43 oz total or 2 lbs 11 oz. Hammock and tarp combined weigh 37 oz or 2 lbs 5 oz. Pack is lightest at 22 oz or 1 lb 6 oz. As far as the exact answer to the question of which one SHOULD be lightest, I do not think there is a right answer here. In all cases most would agree that you want the lightest available option that will best meet your needs and desires.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Depends on the season. In the winter it's cold weather gear - hat, mittens, coat, layers, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Depends - I have several shelters, 4 packs, and three sleeping bags/quilts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth & Wasabi View Post
    Depends on your hiking style and gear...
    Depends can add alot of weight, when their completely full. Better to invest in a trowel, and take the time to stop more regularly.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Depends can add alot of weight, when their completely full. Better to invest in a trowel, and take the time to stop more regularly.
    good one jak! didnt you have some down time? welcome back!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    LOL! We sound like we have the same sense of humor, lol! Where in New Brunswick are you? I am from Florida, but I left Florida to go to college in Sussex, New Brunswick. I've also lived in Woodstock and Saint John (Rothesay, actually). I didn't know this until AFTER I lived there, but my ancestors founded Saint John and Hartland! I would have given anything to have known that when I was living there...
    -Tammy (a-ka) <><

Will Turner
    : This is either madness or brilliance.
    Captian Jack Sparrow: It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide.
    (POTC - The Curse of the Black Pearl)

My heaviest piece of gear if I expect temps to get to or a little below freezing is my Marmot Eco-Pro sleeping bag, weighing in at 3.25 pounds. This is a 15 degree bag and because of my crazy vegan ways I've got to have synthetic insulation rather than down, and this adds over a pound in weight when comparing comparably warm synthetic and down bags.

Images

I traded my Osprey Ariel for a ULA Circuit and I presently use a SD Clip Flashlight tent and a Montbell #15 down bag my tent is the heaviest at 3.6 lbs. As a woman light is the key sure makes for a happier hike in my opinion.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    My heaviest piece of gear if I expect temps to get to or a little below freezing is my Marmot Eco-Pro sleeping bag, weighing in at 3.25 pounds. This is a 15 degree bag and because of my crazy vegan ways I've got to have synthetic insulation rather than down, and this adds over a pound in weight when comparing comparably warm synthetic and down bags.
    Big +1 and thumbs up on having the courage of your convictions and taking the weight penalty of synthetic.

Images

Of the three the OP asked, for me my pack is heaviest; hence my consideration to go to a lighter pack but I'm not in a rush.

Journal Entries

The msr -carbon reflex is a nice tent if you like space, very roomy and only about three and a half pounds.
    I carried thirty pounds on my back and lost forty from my body, in three months, so for heavier people, it is definitely worth slimming down first. But do some strength/endurance training as well.
    Good luck Tammy...

Journal Entries

Just curious -what kind of total weight are you carrying on those eighteen dat trips?

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by TammyLynn View Post
    I know they say a pack shouldn't be more than a third of your body weight, well...for me, that's one heavy pack! So I have to take my build into consideration as well, especially in the beginning.
    Actually, what they really say is your pack shouldn't be more than 20-25% of your body weight. Unless you're Tipi Walter (He-man that he is), going out on an 18 day unsupported trip in the worst possible winter weather. I probably couldn't lift his pack, much less get it on.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++