WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Gossamer Gear Spinnshelter vs. Six MoonsWild Oasis

I am going Xmas shopping and want to know if anyone has had experience with these tarps. My big concern is keeping dry and the bugs. My Contrail has worked great, taking the next step to ultralight.

Happy Holidays and New Year

Images

I have the Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter and absolutely love it. It is water tight, easy to pitch, and offers the lightweight aspects of a tarp, but can be fully closed if the weather gets nasty. I carry a custom made XL bug net that is held up with my umbrella, and keeps the insects off me.

While I haven't used the Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis, I'm seen them in person, and they look sweet. Trouble is, I don't use trekking poles, and don't want to carry the pole needed to erect this shelter. I set up my SpinnShelter with sticks I find when ready to camp.

Both of these companies are top notch, and you'll be happy with either one. It all depends on what features you want.
    IAT '03, AT '04, PCT '06, CDT '07, CT '08, PCT '09, AT '10, CDT '12, AZT and PCT '13

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

If you're really looking to take a big next step, be sure to take a look at the zPacks.com Hexamid offerings, which could save you another 4-8 ounces over the Wild Oasis at a comparable price.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Wild Oasis has no floor - could be more of a tick problem.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++