WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

Hmmm. Let me confer with Troll on this when he gets back from work. I think I have found the problem, but can't figure out hopw to fix it right now without screwing a few other things up.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Yellow Jacket, great information. Thanks.
    <o =""></o>
    The attached file will print ORM-D labels.
    <o =""></o>
    I noticed that the regulations are contradictory regarding multiple canisters in the same package.
    <o =""></o>
    Section 342.3 c. says, “Multiple primary receptacles are not permitted. Packaging Instruction 2A must be<o =""></o>
    followed.”<o =""></o>
    <o =""></o>
    Appendix C, Packaging Instruction 2A says, “Multiple primary receptacles may be securely packed within a single strong outer packaging, provided the total volume of flammable gas does not exceed 33.8 fluid ounces (1 liter) per mailpiece.”<o =""></o>
    <o =""></o>
    Although I cannot use this technique on the trail, at home I use a postal scales to determine the amount of gas the canister still contains. A full MSR IsoPro canister contains 8 ounces of fuel, by weight. The empty canister weighs about 4.7 ounces. Weigh the used canister and prorate the weight of the remaining contents.
    <o =""></o>
    E.g., (7.4 oz. – 4.7 oz.)/8.0 oz = 0.34 of the contents left. A full 8 oz canister weighs about 12.7 ounces.
    <o =""></o>
    I noticed that the MSR IsoPro canister is labeled “8 fl oz/227g.” I think it should be labeled “8 advp oz/227g” or just “8 oz/227g.” I don't think apples are oranges.
    <o =""></o>
    The actual fluid volume is about 13 oz for a 20/80 ratio. The canister volume is about 16 fl oz. Propane in a liquid state is about 0.61 advp oz per fl oz and isobutane is about 0.62.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default how much fuel do i have left

if u use a canister stove u can simply weigh it on a scale that so many of us have and based on the weight of a full canister u know how much is left

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dgever View Post
    if u use a canister stove u can simply weigh it on a scale that so many of us have and based on the weight of a full canister u know how much is left
    True. But most don't have access on the trail to a scale. Though, I guess, they are available in most PO.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Images

The Pocket Rocket doesn't work too well on an Optimus canister. The inner tip doesn't push the valve open enough. You can super-tighten it, but since the Pocket Rocket doesn't have a brass thread insert like the other stoves, the thread will eventually strip. Don't ask me how I know this...

Another link to a FAQ about stoves site.

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_GasStoves.htm
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Added FAQ link.

Default Recycling butane/propane cannisters

I've searched past threads and this article and wondered if anyone has recent info on recycling cannisters. One poster had said that you take your spent cannister to an outfitter for recycling. Is this true? Which outfitters?

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I've searched past threads and this article and wondered if anyone has recent info on recycling cannisters. One poster had said that you take your spent cannister to an outfitter for recycling. Is this true? Which outfitters?
    I'm not aware of any. My guess is they are considered a type of hazardous waste which means disposal requires special handling. Like empty paint cans.

That said...
    Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
    While I won't put this in the FAQ, I suspect allowing the stove to burn off all of the fuel on a warm day. And then, with the valve open, "church key" (or nail punch) the bottom of the can would do the trick in a safe mannor.

Images

Default Canister recycling

Coleman PowerMax canisters are made of aluminum and can be recycled like regular aluminum can once they are punctured with the "green key" Coleman provides with the stoves.

Dunno about any others.

ed

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dzierzak View Post
    Coleman PowerMax canisters are made of aluminum and can be recycled like regular aluminum can once they are punctured with the "green key" Coleman provides with the stoves.
    Great winter stove! Fuel can some times be hard to find.

I don't understand why non-PowerMax canister are made of steel. Espeically given that the PowerMax fuel mix has more propane in it than other canister mixes.

Default Gauging the Contents of a Gas Cartridge

You can float both an empty canister and a full canister in water and mark the water lines. Transfer the full and empty lines to the canister you take to the field. As the canister empties you can measure the remaining fuel level by floating it in water and noting where the water line is relative to the full line and empty lines.

Canister Fuel Can Stand

Colman manufactures a can stand for the XtremeCat™ Catalytic Heater. It is a round base that could also be used on stoves.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/parts...ct_id=5034-700

5034-1231 Base $2.04
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

you can find the coleman max fuel at walmart in the camping secton

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by partinj View Post
    you can find the coleman max fuel at walmart in the camping secton
    Not always. I have checked 3 wal-marts in my area and none of them have it. I bought 4 cans (2 big, 2 small) a couple of years ago when Gander Mtn decided to stop carrying PowerMax stove/fuel. Which is more than enough as I only use it when I need to melt snow for water (maybe once a year).

I still wish someone could explian why PowerMax "canisters" are AL (and quite light) whereas all traditional canisters are steel. Maybe it is an EU thing that made its way to the States? Not sure when/where canisters started... Its too bad as a traditional fuel cansiter would probably be half the weight.

For those that haven't seen a PowerMax "canister" the big size canister looks and feels as light as an empty hair spray can.

Default Canister Question

Great, post. Lots of useful info. How come you don't mention some of the MSR White gas stoves with refillable canisters? I have a Simmerlite, it's extremely light and efficient and have a 33 oz canister that costs me $.65 to refill with gasoline. This canister will last a long time so I generally only fill it partially depending on trip length. I'm interested in hearing why this type of stove isn't addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosborn88 View Post
    Great, post. Lots of useful info. How come you don't mention some of the MSR White gas stoves with refillable canisters? I have a Simmerlite, it's extremely light and efficient and have a 33 oz canister that costs me $.65 to refill with gasoline. This canister will last a long time so I generally only fill it partially depending on trip length. I'm interested in hearing why this type of stove isn't addressed.
    Nothing against MSR and other white gas stoves (I own a couple of 'em) but "canister" stoves in the context of this thread, specifically refers to those non-refillable types that burn propane/butane (etc) with IEC threads. The canisters typically have a net fuel weight of 4 oz or 8 oz.

Before these IEC-standard canisters became commonly available, non-refillable "canisters" (eg. "Gaz") were nearly useless except for short hikes, and MSR/white gas stoves ruled the roost for long-distance hiking.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rosborn88 View Post
    Great, post. Lots of useful info. How come you don't mention some of the MSR White gas stoves with refillable canisters?
    As mentioned above, a white gas stove =/= canister stove. A canister stove is really a propane (with some other stuff thrown in) stove.

Images

Default Why al instead of steel?

Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
    Not always. I have checked 3 wal-marts in my area and none of them have it. I bought 4 cans (2 big, 2 small) a couple of years ago when Gander Mtn decided to stop carrying PowerMax stove/fuel. Which is more than enough as I only use it when I need to melt snow for water (maybe once a year).

I still wish someone could explian why PowerMax "canisters" are AL (and quite light) whereas all traditional canisters are steel. Maybe it is an EU thing that made its way to the States? Not sure when/where canisters started... Its too bad as a traditional fuel cansiter would probably be half the weight.

For those that haven't seen a PowerMax "canister" the big size canister looks and feels as light as an empty hair spray can.

Educated guess is that steel cannisters are easier / cheaper to produce. Coleman may have gone to a aluminum / proprietary cartridge to be an upper tier mountaineering product. Powermax is recognized as being a better product for winter camping, but never made the jump to a product that is in mass demand.

The Doyle Hotel in Duncannon now sells canisters. ($6.50)

Images

PowerMax vs other canisters -

PowerMax is a mix of gases and may not need the strength of a steel can. Just a guess.

ed

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++