WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

also check out the new flat rate boxes. any weight, any distance for $7.70.

teeny typo: first "don't" has a stray J at the end.

COOL article. well written.

titanium
    just call me TH
    woman with altitude

Well written advice up there for sure.

I would like to point out for people who are on a very tight or near non exsitant budget a few points that may make your trip a tad more enjoyable.

first, the negatives with maildrops:

1. If you forget to keep a close eye on your holidays, you will be without important items for up to three days longer then you expect, and three days in ANY town is a big expenditure.

2. Post Offices, as good as they may be, still lose a lot of hiker packages each year. Not always their fault, but I have yet to hike and not see at least one hiker in alomst every town either on the phone freaking out, or freaking out in th ePO because that particular box had the 'one thing' they needed most for the next leg of their journey.

3. THE EXPENSE
    : this is a biggy. Most boxes add up to a lot of money.
    Think of it this way.
    Say an average of $25 for food
    an average of (this is low ending) $15-25$ for postage
    So right there, thats aprox $45 on a box of food times say 25
    drops
    thats $1125.

You could do your whole hike on that if you really had to. (Meaning no hotels or hostels and only a few good town meals)--but the point is this.

If you didnt spend that much, you will:

1. Not get SICK of all the food you bought at bulk, which then you will throw in the hiker boxes and spend EVEN MORE money buyin new foods in a town that may or may not have really high prices.

2, be able to random up your meal choices, because I dont care at this point how much you think you love mac and cheese, or how much you can tolerate Chicken Flavored Raman, or the place in your heart you hold for packaged Tuna, after about 2 months of all that each and every day you will hate it..then those rebuy expenses will come into play.

In my opinoin, the best route is to buy as you go along, or you can save even more money by hitting the overflowing hiker boxes that will contain--MAc and Cheese, Raman and tuna packets..along with a lot of your favorite candy.

Then that large Pizza smothered in cheese, or that fat ass steak or two in town will rock your world, and you still will be getting by on less money and making local business happy that you are there to shop and not to just stink up the town.

Good Luck

Wow, you guys are really motivating me to start planning a thru hike in the next few years!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post
    1. If you forget to keep a close eye on your holidays, you will be without important items for up to three days longer then you expect, and three days in ANY town is a big expenditure.

3. THE EXPENSE
    : this is a biggy. Most boxes add up to a lot of money.
    Think of it this way.
    Say an average of $25 for food
    an average of (this is low ending) $15-25$ for postage
    So right there, thats aprox $45 on a box of food times say 25
    drops
    thats $1125.
    I plan on sending myself about 10 mail drops over the course of the trail, perhaps more, and I think it's a smart idea to find businesses such as hotels/individuals that will accept maildrops without asking you to stay (thanks to other posters for this idea). This eliminates the possibility of being stuck without your drop as they're open 7 days/week.

I just wanted to offer up the idea for people to send Flat-Rate USPS Priority Mail boxes, too.

The packaging is free and large (13.5" x 12" x 3.5"), and for $8.95 (current price as of today), you can deliver up to 20 lbs. of goods. Cash or cash equivalents are prohibited according to the box however, so if you send cash, it's a risk.

I don't see how they would know, but maybe someone else has tried this before and would like to chime in.

Since I plan on making my own trail mixes, buying in bulk, and shipping gear changes, this makes for a perfect size for me. The box would be large enough to fit a week's worth of food/gear if packed properly. Most gear is lightweight anyway, right, and it has the benefit of priority shipping. 2-3 days, or so they say.

[quote=ye olde shiza;482810]

The packaging is free and large (13.5" x 12" x 3.5"), and for $8.95 (current price as of today), you can deliver up to 20 lbs. of goods. Cash or cash equivalents are prohibited according to the box however, so if you send cash, it's a risk.

I don't see how they would know, but maybe someone else has tried this before and would like to chime in. [quote]

Ah yes... well, the PO sometimes searches boxes. I once had a box of books shipped media rate to me from a friend and she threw in a lunch bag i had left at her house. It arrived postage due because it had been searched and not every item was media. I'm not sure whether they physically open stuff or if it's by x-ray or what, but, yeah, they search.

Images

I got an e-mail from the writer of this article with an update. I will try to get it posted.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Article updated.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Good information, thank You for taking the time to share it.
    I've only section-hiked the AT in the past but have been hiking other trails since a young boy. Something I started doing in my late teens has really helped: color coding. When I've made preparations to have friends or family send drops, I have organized things as follows: all items have labels on with a color mark. ( i use the small white sticker dots and color them with a marker myself). whether a box is color coded (for food) or baggies are labeled, it is so much easier to ask for "1 blue, a red, 2 greens" etc...then it is to ask for particular items. This has helped keep my pack more balanced as I don't receive everything prepacked with items I may not need. It is helpful though to put staple items for regular drops in boxes. Also I've made lists of ALL possible mail drop locations along hike routes including by-passes and numbered them. The sender only has to be told "pls. send to drop #3 etc..."

Where can I find a list of good places along the trail to send packages to? I'm bringing my dog and I'll need bags of dog food sent about every five days.

What a great article, I am getting ready to hike on the Appalachian Trail, I am so excited because this will be my first time hiking the AT for more than 2 days. I am so glad I ran across this post I never even thought of mailing items to myself at these mail drop points. I think this will make my hike so much more enjoyable. My end goal is to walk the entire trail over several trips in the next few years. Thanks again for all the useful information, see you on the trail.

Images

You can't mail "Coleman fuel" (naptha) or flammables of any kind Priority Mail. This includes liquid fuels, canisters, esbit, etc. Priority Mail is always considered airmail whether it goes by air or not (because if misdelivered or forwarded it has to be suitable for air transport). Flammables or any "other restricted materials" have to be labelled ORM-D / ground only. Alcoholic beverages of any kind are prohibited to be mailed.
    http://pe.usps.com/text/qsg300/Q601.htm
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Article: Packing and sending the perfect Maildrop

AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

If you're looking for a Mail Drop Service or information about mail drops check out http://www.ATchickaBee.com

Monson General Store, Scheduler for The Connection Shuttle & Monson resupplier Monson's Avatar

There is a possibility of major reduction in hours (if not closure) of the post office in Monson, Maine - the Monson General Store will serve as a mail drop - open 6 days a week and can open after hours with a phone call for drop shipments and pre-pulled resupply- 12 Greenville Rd, P. O. Box 327, Monson, Maine 04464 (207) 997-3964 - shuttle service to/from surrounding towns and transit hubs of Augusta and Bangor also available through the same number!

++ New Posts ++