WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sky Meadows camping

I'm considering trying out the primitive campsite at Sky Meadows. Anyone ever camped there ? Are the campsites within sight of each other, like a normal campground, or are they spaced farther apart ? I can't find any info/photos of what the sites are like. Thanks !

Not too sure but I may have car camped (passing through on way to DC) a night here, I remember the sites weren't too far apart.

Quote Originally Posted by HIKERJEN View Post
    I'm considering trying out the primitive campsite at Sky Meadows. Anyone ever camped there ? Are the campsites within sight of each other, like a normal campground, or are they spaced farther apart ? I can't find any info/photos of what the sites are like. Thanks !
    It has been about six years since my last visit there but the majority of the campsites (15 or so) are spaced enough apart that you will have some sort of privacy. I believe the higher numbered campsites provided a little more privacy than the lower numbered sites.

There are ample trails within the park to explore for the day. I think any more than a day within the park boundaries would be overkill. On one occasion I parked my vehicle (for a fee) overnight in the park and backpacked north to Rod Hollow Shelter for the evening, returning the following day.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Just don't go to the nearby Dick's Dome shelter, whatever you do!
    Be Prepared

Images

No primitive walk-in campsites from what I saw quite a few years back. Dovecote's description is pretty spot on from my recognition .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

From the AT you'll have to get on another trail to the campsites and then you'll need to check in at the Ranger Station. The AT runs along the western edge of this small State Park. It's been a while since I've been there and I do believe they're relocated the trail since that visit. But from maps I've seen, this is the case.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

++ New Posts ++