WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Favorite GSMNP winter day hike

What is your favorite part of GSMNP to day hike in? So many trails in addition to and off the AT there! I'm thinking about day hiking over Christmas-New Years week, possibly with 10 and 12 year old grandsons (I'm 64, so read slow or low miles). 10 mile max. Won't go if snow is heavy.

Yes, I know to be safe still carry pack, couple of extra layers of warmth and a couple of days food even for a day hike in case get hung in fast changing bad weather.

Looking for your favorite, loop or 1-way. Wife will be shuttle and not hiking.

This will be an odd suggestion, but if the Newfound Gap road is open, and the Clingman's Dome road is closed, then park at Newfound Gap and hike up the road toward Clingman's Dome. You can't beat the views along the highway, which are better than the views along the AT.

Images

yep. if i was to go back, Clingman's Dome or north out of Newfound Gap

I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

newfound gap to charlies bunion, which is just about 4 miles one way, and provides a nice place for kids to play on the rocks while you picnic, would be my choice. in fact, i've done this hike numerous times.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

The Alum Cave Trail to Mt Leconte is a good one. You can return on the same trail or take one of the other trails back to a different location as long as you have a pickup shuttle. 11 miles RT for Alum C T and return on same. Or you can return on the Rainbow Falls trail. The trip is a little further 13 miles or so. You need to be in pretty good hiking condition to do these in one day but is definitly doable.
    Here is a good resource for information on trails in the GSMNP http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/feature.htm
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Heavy snow (if the snow is over and the roads are open) are an ausome time to go hiking. The most memerable hike I've ever taken was Alum Cave from the trail head to Arch Rock in 12" deep virgin snow. However, that deep snow really slows you down (your 10 mile max would be about 3 to 4 max).Of course the higher elevation hikes will be the coldest.

Images

Alum cave trail is not so easy. esp if you are climbing all the way to LeConte. it will be very icy.
    You can go into Cataloochee and walk along the road, or better yet,do the Boogerman trail, off the top of my head I"m not sure how long it is but I dont' think a round trip would be more than 4 or 5 miles,
    But I also agree that hiking along the Clingmans Dome rd would be fantastic.

Images

greenbrier pinnacle would be nice

++ New Posts ++