WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hiking Poles: Benefits for Endurance

Any thoughts on the best brand and the benefits and detriments?

I read that about 20% of the pressure on the legs is displaced to the upper body. One article said that it takes about 11 pounds of weight off the legs on flat ground and 17 on the uphills ( they must be assuming an average weight person ).

How did they effect your overall energy over the same distance after going from no poles to using 2 poles?

I used trekking poles pretty much on the whole AT this year, until my lekis broke in Maine with about a 100 miles to go. On flat terrain, I think poles are useless. they helped me stay in good rhythm, but that is about it for flat walking. where they kick ass though, is on climbs and descents. I did feel like I used more energy with poles then without, but it would be tough to tell honestly since I had already hiked 2000 miles at that time and my legs were in crazy good shape.
    I would definitely recommend poles for any long distance hike, unless you never carry more then 20 lbs(which isn't too many folks on the AT).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lando11 View Post
    ...I would definitely recommend poles for any long distance hike, unless you never carry more then 20 lbs(which isn't too many folks on the AT).
    Just curious, why would not recomend poles with pack weights above 20 lbs? Seems to me that the more weight you carry, the greater the benefit for poles, especially, as you say, when going up or down.

FWIW, I work to keep my pack weight at or below 20 lbs. When I am light, and I loan my poles to someone for a mile to try out, I don't much notice the difference. But when I am heavier, I can really tell the difference. YMMV.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

If I'm wearing a backpack I generally have my Black Diamond hiking poles (do not like Leki - every pair I've ever had (3) have broken at the worse possible time).

They come in very handy and I don't know how many times I've saved myself from a fall by catching myself with a pole.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Just curious, why would not recomend poles with pack weights above 20 lbs? Seems to me that the more weight you carry, the greater the benefit for poles, especially, as you say, when going up or down...
    I think you misread the previous post.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hike smarter, not harder.

My knees insist on poles for downhills now.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I don't think that I recognized any real impact on my energy, at least not to the point that it was noticeable aside from my fitness level. However, they do improve stability, particularly on uneven sections of trail, and they have certainly helped me to keep hiking as my knees have degraded.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Walker View Post

I read that about 20% of the pressure on the legs is displaced to the upper body. One article said that it takes about 11 pounds of weight off the legs on flat ground and 17 on the uphills ( they must be assuming an average weight person ).

How did they effect your overall energy over the same distance after going from no poles to using 2 poles?
    No thoughts on brand since I use the Walmart poles (I'm sure Lekis, etc. work better, but certainly the cheap ones work well enough). I think I would agree that 20% is a good average figure of muscle rearrangement, if you will. I don't think I see much in the way of pounds savings on level ground, but there is a rhythmic motion efficiency that I believe negates the idea that you're carrying something when its not needed.

I would add that there is a dynamic aspect to the displaced pressure on the legs that underscores the true value of poles. Its not just about additional leverage going up (or down which is as important if not more so), but also the fact that on the trail, your steps aren't always consistent dependent upon many things, including rocks, roots, minor crossings, incline of the ridge you're on, etc. The poles do two things with this regard... 1) they help balance out the inconsistencies so that you are able to take more consistent steps, which over the course of a long trip is significant, and 2) perhaps even more significant is when those inconsistent steps start to throw you off balance, you have something else to restore balance than using additional muscular power in your legs.

Its the conservation of dynamic power in your legs that helps you feel better as you're hiking. Kind of the difference of walking on the sidewalk using almost no power and walking up steps to the point that your legs become wobbly and less responsive. Poles help maximize the former feeling and minimize the latter feeling.
    Last edited by scope; 11-17-2011 at 13:39.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Many hikers find the poles more for aiding in stability than anything. My reason for using poles is keep from falling or tweaking my knees.

I don't have the aerobic conditioning to use the poles as a performance aid on uphills. I've seen very fit folks just going into power FWD and flying on the ups.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I always hike with my poles: power uphill, balance and the work for putting my hammock tarp in porch mode.
    The key in using them is to know how to hike with poles. The tip gets planted around even with the heel and you push the pole behind you propelling yourself forward. Poles don't go in front except for downhill or when being used for balance.

I also use my poles on the flats to propel myself forward; search the net for nordic walking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    I think you misread the previous post.
    Of course I did. I read it three times and missed the double negative. As a grammar freak, I feel a bit embarrassed.

Dislexics of the world, UNTIE!
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by The Walker View Post

never saw the need to walk with sticks

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    I also use my poles on the flats to propel myself forward; search the net for nordic walking.
    I go out and nordic walk a lot and people give me some crazy stares. It's gives a pretty good uperbody workout along with the walking conditioning.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

sp. upper ...I really need to make a donation so I can edit. and other reasons...
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I'm a victum of lysdexia I can't tell my left right my from,long a sing,long a sing body every long a sing."the doo doo wahs"The people that follow this band are called doo doo heads.I dont like using two hiking poles,a single stick for me,got to for the knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    I was reading this web page the other day about this very thing. Lots of video, text, and graphics to explain. Of course they are trying to sell their own unique trekking poles (which I have not tried), but I think the principles are the same no matter what brand you use.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I was reading this web page the other day about this very thing. Lots of video, text, and graphics to explain. Of course they are trying to sell their own unique trekking poles (which I have not tried), but I think the principles are the same no matter what brand you use.
    forgot link:
    http://www.pacerpole.com/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Thank you for the link. It seems a great product to me. The Price is not as great though. Especially having a camera mount is great.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I just walked in the door from a solid day hike. I decided to bring my hiking poles today even though I rarely use hiking poles unless I'm wearing a pack but I'm glad that I did. Today's trip was 14 miles in the rain on a leaf covered trail, hiking over roots and Connecticut granite and my hiking poles saved me from a tons of spills and saved my knees from a lot of abuse. As others have said, they are most useful on steep up hill and down hill sections, but they're also great when weather and conditions such as leaves or uneven treadway make things a bit more challenging, they're also great to have at river crossings where they have a more solid grip than your shoes.

I use black diamond poles with synthetic handles and shock absorbers, this is my personal preference and I highly recommend them. I like having telescoping poles, but if money is an issue there's honestly not that much of a difference between using these and using cheaper one piece poles, just as long as they have carbide/metal tips.

The one thing I wouldn't recommend buying are the Leki poles that use internal twisting locks, these mechanisms rely on plastic bushings to keep the telescoping sections in place and are (in my experience) subject to higher rates of failure than external locking mechanisms, I have also had friends complain that the Leki twist locks are difficult to operate in freezing conditions and can be fouled by snow and debris. That said, Leki now makes an external Flick-lock type mechanism that I expect works better than their older twist locks, but I haven't gotten a chance to try them out.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++