Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: going green?

Images

Default going green?

WOO brought up an interesting point. we're talking about greenest fuel source, but what about all the hydrocarbons used to produce most of the gear the average backpacker carries.are there any purist "greenies" out there hiking in hemp espadrilles?Any othr ideas about going green on the trail?

Hurray for petrochemicals and synthetic materials!! I sure would hate to give up my plastic clothes and gear to go back the all natrual fibers of wool, cotton and leather. I know mankind got by with those fibers for 100's of 1000's of years, but glad I don't have too!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

leather????

Images

I'm a vegetarian - not eating meat - (especially not supporting methane producing feed-lots and other highly fuel intensive animal product production methods) is maybe one of the best environmental moves you can make - - or at least consider for a while -- I try hard to re-use my zip lock bags (unless they are really nasty) and take other conservation measures. Also, folks on the trail, by definition are not using automobiles (except for the occasional shuttle) which is really great and most practice some level of LNT so hikers already have a "leg up" from an environmental perspective -- That said, I'm fine with hemp products too but you probably won't see me in the hemp espadrilles anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    leather????
    SNL only...........I think!
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

When in doubt of what is most sustainable, go with whatever is cheapest.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I may be misinformed, but it's my understanding that the tank of gas you burn driving to the trailhead will have a greater impact than any other single action you take while hiking.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I may be misinformed, but it's my understanding that the tank of gas you burn driving to the trailhead will have a greater impact than any other single action you take while hiking.
    "Take nothing but pictures,leave nothing but carbon footprints."

What's wrong with the Green movement is that so much of what they see as green and sustainable is not at all, because it relies so heavily on agriculture. What really hurts the environment is the land use to support agriculture, which in turn supports us; it's a hell of a lot and where there's agriculture there's no biodiversity, including orgainic farming, so basically it's a wasteland. I wonder how much land we'd need in order to outfit everyone in hemp shoes And that's why even most of the supporters of growing corn as a fuel source soon saw how idiotic and unsustainable the practice is.

The fact is, we can't live a natural lifestyle (whatever the hell that is) any more, not with 7 billion people and growing, because that in itself is not natural to have such a large population of an animal our size.

Go ahead and wear your hemp shoes, but don't think that's anymore sustainable than mass-produced shoes.

Images

I saw yesterday that someone has created a new fabric made from milk. gee I wonder what this would do to milk prices. being green is a very complicated subject, and most of the time it involves trade offs that sometimes bear unintended consequences.although smoking hemp is probably greener than cigarettes, less chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I once got chastised for throwing a Pop Tart wrapper in the campfire from a hiker that drove an SUV 300 miles for the weekend trip.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries
    Images

Milk clothes? How many cows? Talk about methane!!!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boots View Post
    Milk clothes? How many cows? Talk about methane!!!
    I know an easier way to turn cows into cloths.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Personally I'm all for saving the planet from those darned methane farting/belching cows...but I can only eat so much at a time.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

AT 10,000 Miler
    Images

I once got chastised for throwing a Pop Tart wrapper in the campfire from a hiker that drove an SUV 300 miles for the weekend trip.
    Where did you read or learn that burning your trash in a fire is an acceptable practice in the backcountry? I take a lot of people backpacking and ask them to not burn their trash in the campfire. Some of them think I am being too rigorous. I explain that burning trash is not consistent wtih Leave No Trace guidelines, USFS policy, NPS policy etc. I ask them to provide a credible source that says it is ok to burn trash. Nobody has ever supplied one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blue View Post
    Where did you read or learn that burning your trash in a fire is an acceptable practice in the backcountry? I take a lot of people backpacking and ask them to not burn their trash in the campfire. Some of them think I am being too rigorous. I explain that burning trash is not consistent wtih Leave No Trace guidelines, USFS policy, NPS policy etc. I ask them to provide a credible source that says it is ok to burn trash. Nobody has ever supplied one.
    Can you show me a credible source that says it harms the evironment to burn a single pop-tart wrapper? I thought not. Personally will continue to burn all of my trash. At home, in the woods, whereever. It is such an insignificant amount compared to everything else. As above some of the people and probably yourself do way of questionable significance in there daily life than burning a pop-tart wrapper. For example leaving your computer running, using a refrigerator, getting your haircut with clippers versus scissors, all of these use electricity which comes from coal (mostly). Why don't we all get real.

Let me paraphrase a quote for you. Before you worry about the stick in my eye, remove the log from yours.

and of course HYOH, not HMHDI, YMMV
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

I don't burn anything in the backcountry. Collecting and burning downed wood destroys the environment and the local ecosystem. Is burning one pop-tart wrapper better or worse than burning every scrap of wood within a 100 yard radius? Probably not. Should anything be burned in a non-emergency situation? Probably not.

Hey chinmusic, what if everyone burned their poptart wrapper in the fire That's what you usually hear, much like a talking parrot, from the AT "police".

But this is the problem with that "what if..." argument.

The average passenger car emits the following in a year:
    77 lbs of hydrocarbons
    575 lbs of carbon monoxide
    11,450 lbs of CO2
    38 lbs of nitrogen oxides

Now what if everyone drove a car

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blue View Post
    Then I politely will not burn it........in front of you. I find your rigid position totally anal but I would not want you to have a heart attack witnessing me destroying the earth.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Just burn one...sheesh..
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++