WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Merrell Barefoot

Just was wondering how many if any have use barefoot shoes as main hiking shoes on the AT? I have had mine for a while now and love them. I do everything in them hiking, running, discgolf, if im outside they are on my feet!

Images

I saw the Merrell Barefoot shoes in the store a few weeks ago. Didn't try them on but they "seemed" stiff and cramped - compared to my VFF's.
    “The press of my foot to the earth springs a hundred affections.” Walt Whitman

I had a pair of VFF but they only lasted a month before the big toe ripped at the seams. Also I was always picking sticks, grass, and weeds out of my toes. I returned them for the Merrells and have been very happy.

Any idea how long a shoe of this type last on the trail.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    Any idea how long a shoe of this type last on the trail.
    That's what I'm trying to figure out? I have a couple hundred miles on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Tarbox View Post
    Just was wondering how many if any have use barefoot shoes as main hiking shoes on the AT? I have had mine for a while now and love them. I do everything in them hiking, running, discgolf, if im outside they are on my feet!
    My wife has a a pair of barefoot shoes, but she uses them as camp shoes. She doesn't wear them on the trail.
    Shutterbug

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

So someone please rate the barefoot offerings when used for long walks on concrete sidewalks.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

I wore a pair of VFF for about 150-200 miles on my thru-hike and loved them, but road walks and gravel were rough! I know Fern Toe wore them the entire way and went through four pairs, but one already had use when she started out.
    You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment"
    -Henry David Thoreau

Images

I have been "testing" a pair of New Balance minimus and a pair of Merrell pace gloves and so far my feet like the Merrells best. At less than 11 ozs a pair I might even take a spare for my 430 mile section of VA next year.

I've been wearing the trail gloves for the past few months and since I've gotten them they're the only shoes I wear. Most of the miles I've put in have been on trails while running and they are incredibly comfortable and do a good job of protecting your feet, but the tread has begun to wear on the outer ball of my soul after only a few hundred miles on them. Unless I find something better I will wear them for my planned 2013 thru.

Images

Before I bought my Trail Gloves, I wore Teva sandals every day. Now, the only show I wear is my Trail Gloves. Absolutely love them. I put on a pair of "normal" shoes and they felt incredibly weird.
    My name is Tabasco and I approve this message.

I think the idea is to give some sense as to how the Merrell Barefoot shoes work on the trail, with a pack (over long distances).

I would guess that they would be fine for smooth trails, but I'd be very careful wearing them through Pa. and NJ because of the sometimes non-stop rocks. I bruised my feet in NJ wearing Asics trail runners, which have more padding than the new "barefoot" minimalist shoes. I probably won't go running out to buy some, because at my weight (220 lbs.), even with a light pack (25 lb./wk. roughly), impact protection is as important as weight and traction. A good toe bumper is a definite plus in Pa. NJ.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++