WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default flip flop...is this a good idea?

I am planning a thur hike for 2006.I was planning on starting in April, so it would have been a nobo. But i can not start till June. I dont want to go sobo, so Im doing a flip flop. I really want to start in Ga at Springer. Is it a good idea to start at springer, cause I want to see it so bad and then take a bus north to Waynes boro Va.? If i do this where is the nearest bus station going north? Any input on this I would like. Or is this just a crazy idea? Thank you all...

GAME 2000
    Images

You should take a look at what the ATC has put together: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike...hike/itin.html . It should give you a few ideas.

Youngblood

Images

Default Your Hike

Hey...it's your hike. Do it the way you want to. If you want to start at Springer and then jump up to Waynesboro, do it. I guess the question I would ask is.....why? If you do a tradional flip, you'll see Springer in the late fall.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

I think it has something to do with the draw of seeing springer . I know there is bus service in waynsboro. But where in Ga. could i get the bus to go to waynesboro? I want to start in Waynesboro cause I think the hiking will be easy for my body to break into. I would start in Maine, but it just sounds like a tough start on the trail. Another reason for wanting to see springer is in case i can not finish the whole hike. I would at least get to see both ends of the trail. Im not sure about all of this but i have time to figure it all out..Thank you all on the ideas, I love white blaze..

Images

I think either Gainesville or Dahlonega have bus service but I could be wrong. Assuming you won't have a car this is gonna be a pain in the neck to do, and you'll need shuttlers from a town with a bus up to springer and back. And it will cost you, assuming you don't have local relatives. Frankly I'd see Springer when i got there in fall as others have suggested, but do what makes you happy.

I met a couple of guys starting in the Shenendoahs during 03' who were beginning a flip-flop. Very smart as far as starting in gentle terrain and in a place with lots of amenities, should you need to pamper yourself a little at the start. Be patient with the trail community. You'll feel out of the loop as NOBO's are literally flying by you. In a week or two you'll probably meet and hang with some very cool folks. Good luck
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Heres my Flip Flop. This might help. www.trailjournals.com/Singletrack/
    Singletrack

Default Singletrack

Thank you for the reply. I look forward to reading it this week end. I have a question, By doing a flip-flop do u still get the same feeling of walking the whole trail like a nobo or a sobo would? This is one of my greatest fears of doing a flip-flop. After all I will most likely only hike the trail once in my life. So the planning and everything else must be thought though. Thanks again to all for your thoughts.

Hiking the Trail the way I did, certainly was different than a NOBO or SOBO. First of all, most of the hike was solo, not seeing anyone for days, and camping alone at night. If you feel insecure in the woods without seeing someone daily, this would not be for you. There will be no social life, planned trail angels, nor full hostels. You will be totally on your own. If these things are important to you, I would suggest, that you start where the NOBO's are, and go north with them in June, then flip back to where you started, and hopefully hook up with SOBO's south to Springer. Hope this helps.
    Singletrack

Default Great

I think that any way you hike the AT is going to be great.

However, if starting in June, I'd advocate starting at Harpers Ferry and going north with others. The Mid Atlantic states are easier that the trail in the North and the South. So, you can get into prime hiking condition before doing the rugged parts.

++ New Posts ++