WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New tarp for Hennessey Hammock?

I'm planning a thru hike for next year. I recently went to Mountain Crossings to have my gear looked over. The guy said I should invest in a bigger tarp for my hennessey ultralite backpacker asymetric hammock. He suggested an 8x10 sil nylon tarp. After researching I've discovered that this will cost probably another $100. Anybody thru hike with this hammock with the tarp it comes with? It hasn't caused me any troubles so far, but I haven't slept in it with really bad rain. I hand my bag underneath and I could see it getting wet in a really bad storm.
    Should I get the new tarp? Is there any place I can find one cheaper than $100?

You can "get by" with the standard tarp, but most folks who invest in a larger tarp are glad that they did. It gives greater rain protection for the hammock, which is obvious. It also creates a large usable dry area for cooking and such during set-in rains. The larger tarp is also typically pitched separate from the hammock rather than integrated on the ridge, like the standard tarp. When raining, this allows you to put the tarp up first, then deploy the hammock below (while staying dry) and to take it down last, so that you can pack up in the dry, and then stuff the wet tarp in an outside pocket. There are many advantages to replacing the standard Hennessy tarp.

There are lots of good tarps out there to consider. I have the MacCat Deluxe. I have used it for 5+ years and have been very pleased. Here is a link.
    http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier....ccat_tarps.php

Images

i've used the stock tarp for the UL. if you think it will rain tighten the A of it. i call it going into storm mode.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

and if you haven't separated tarp and hammock suspensions that would be a good idea.

If you get a rectangular tarp, whether 8x10 or larger, you can close the ends off when the weather is really rainy and windy.
    [/URL]

This is a 10x12 pitched with the 10" as the ridgeline. Who needs a fancy tarp with "doors"?
    Last edited by Tinker; 11-21-2011 at 16:10.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    If you get a rectangular tarp, whether 8x10 or larger, you can close the ends off when the weather is really rainy and windy.
    [/URL]

This is a 10x12 pitched with the 10" as the ridgeline. Who needs a fancy tarp with "doors"?
    This is what I use also. Yes they are $100 but think of how much more room you have under there, and on the cold/windy nights the ability to take your tarp all the way down to the ground makes a huge difference.
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

If you have any basic sewing skills, you can always MYOG a Blackcat tarp based on the designs of Blackbishop. If you use lightweight silnylon it's pretty trim and very cheap to make. 1.1oz silnylon runs about $11-12 a yard (usually 62" wide) from most of the online outdoor fabric suppliers, so 8 yards will still run you almost $90, but you'll get a much more functional tarp than you'd get from a rectangle in my view. Those corners may cover a little more in a heavy storm, but they also add a good bit to the final weight of the tarp (about 1/3 more in weight, actually) that you have to carry around all the rest of the time. The one I carry is actually made of polycarbonate impregnated ripstop polyester, weighing only .85oz/sqyd, so it actually weighs less as a 12' x 9' hex with its lines and stuff sack than my stock tarp did (and I have the Hyperlight Backpacker model.) I got the stuff from a kite store and supplier called Hang'em High, but they seem to be on vacation right now (it's a tiny business in Richmond, VA; I've always assumed it's a family operation.) It's a fabric they carry that replaces the old Icarex fabric that briefly caught on as a MYOG tarp materiel a few years ago (before the manufacturer stopped making it.) I find that it's easily as waterproof as silnylon and it has the added advantage of not stretching when it gets wet (thus no need for self-tensioning lines, etc.)

If you don't care to (or don't have the time or skills to) sew your own, then you can always spring for one made to the same design from Jacks'R'Better. They're selling the silnylon model hex tarp for $120, so it's not much of a difference from a rectangular tarp that probably weighs several ounces more. If you're feeling flush they even have a spinnaker cloth version that rivals my MYOG tarp in the weight category. Go with the lightest possible lines (I use 1.9mm Spectra line meant for spearfishing, super strong and incredibly light) and rig it separately from the hammock and you're good to go.
    Last edited by Strategic; 11-22-2011 at 11:52.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Images

I got the Maccat Deluxe tarp for my Hennessy. It's longer and a little wider, and provides better coverage from wind blown rain (the only kind on the AT...)

+1 on separating the suspension of the tarp from the hammock. That solves the annoying problem of the tarp getting slack when I lie down in the hammock. It also lets me set up the tarp first, then getting under the dry tarp to set up my hammock, cook and eat, etc. On a rainy morning, I can pack everything before taking down the tarp. Some light Spectra cord and a couple of figure-9 devices make an easy tarp suspension.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I use the Hennessey Hex Tarp, it's a litte heavier than the sil nylon styles but I'm quite happy with it, especially since it was a free upgrade from Hennessy when I bought my hammock. It'll fit onto the hammock ridgeline just like the regualr Hennessy tarp but I agree with everybody else, go to a separate ridgeline setup, it's much much better. I switched after my first rainy hike with the hammock!

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    a couple of figure-9 devices make an easy tarp suspension.
    +1 on the figure 9's. I have one on each of my tarp guy lines with a prussic loop and it makes setup incredibly fast and easy

Just used the stock tarp that came with the explorer. I was concerned it would allow rain in. Was in Arkansas in storm for two days. Probably rained 3 inches each night. The hammock stayed dry. If I get a larger tarp it would only be for the extra room for cooking and such. The standard tarp did the job!

AT 2012

this is a bit complicated, like most gear questions, i suppose. i used the stock HH tarp for quite a while before switching to a larger tarp, and it worked fine in all kinds of weather. the only disadvantage, as said by others, is that there isn't enough room under the tarp to do much else than be in the hammock... but you can get by. the thing that kept me from upgrading for quite a while was the weight of a larger tarp -- but that doesn't seem to be your issue... and larger tarps are now available that don't weight any more because of newer lighter materials. cost is the issue. something i've been really really really slow to accept is that using equipment you have or comes standard is always cheaper than buying something new! sooooo... if you hang your hammock near a shelter when it is raining you can take advantage of the cooking and dressing room available at the shelter and get by just fine with the standard tarp. good luck to you, and I hope you enjoy your hike.
    Lazarus

Images

I bought the larger non-sil nylon hex tarp from Hennessey, and I use it for my winter setup... It goes all the way to the ground on each side, keeping wind for blowing across my backside, which makes a big difference in winter. It also provides better coverage for my pack... The UL tarp that comes with the hammock is basically useless in keeping your pack dry in rain and snow, btw. Ive been very happy with it.

Images

the stock is not useless if you know how to set it up even in the winter.

if you buy a new get an 11' ridge line at least. my HAMMOCK is 12 ' with a 10' 7" ridge line.

i have a z-pack cuben 11' by 8'8" custom made

thats my Warbonnet Super Fly w/door in background.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    the stock is not useless if you know how to set it up even in the winter.

if you buy a new get an 11' ridge line at least. my HAMMOCK is 12 ' with a 10' 7" ridge line.

i have a z-pack cuben 11' by 8'8" custom made

thats my Warbonnet Super Fly w/door in background.

Nice hammock setup! My buddy has a Warbonnet... So nice! I should say, the stock is not useless, mine served me well in snow... But it's somewhat useless for keeping the elements off your pack in bad weather, at least compared to the hex tarp..

Images

i would put my pack in my trash bag liner and bear bag it. my clothes were my pillow and my packa a rain/wind shield at feet (ran the suspension through the hood). i later went to a 2/3 TE-WA and use pack for foot insulation in winter. not much left to put in the tree. Hammocking is an art

I've stayed more dry in my hammock with the stock tarp than in any lightweight tent. Even got stuck in a lightning storm just south of Port Clinton, set up in a downpour and kept my bag relatively dry. It's all about placement. If your bag is in a large divot that collects water, you're screwed.

I've stayed more dry in my hammock with the stock tarp than in any lightweight tent. Even got stuck in a lightning storm just south of Port Clinton, set up in a downpour and kept my bag relatively dry. It's all about placement. If your bag is in a large divot that collects water, you're screwed.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

If you want a good tarp on the cheap, watch the "For Sale" threads on Hammock Forums.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by spittinpigeon View Post
    What's a divot? I know the term from golf and I can't quite figue out how that applies to hammocking.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++