WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by peakseeker View Post
    Do you know something I should know?
    Everytime someone talks about driving to Bly Gap Gene makes that same request. NO ONE has ever responded. I think that old FS rd is Bermuda Triangle of the AT.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Everytime someone talks about driving to Bly Gap Gene makes that same request. NO ONE has ever responded. I think that old FS rd is Bermuda Triangle of the AT.
    Well I just got off it and it was just fine......coming down. I think going up would wear you out. Very scenic and neat to hike, rocky, but coming off the AT here is a great exit point IF you desire. I think he must live in one of those houses at the bottom or lives on the Eagle Forks RD and does not want the traffic - or maybe he thinks it is a bad idea. It would take some over 3+ hours to hike up to BLY GAP for sure. I think it would be better to hike up for the last forest service road than try that - for sure!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peakseeker View Post
    Do you know something I should know?
    It was absolutely fine generoll - coming down.... LOVED the AT exit at BLY but........going up - NO WAY! I would start at the FS road at Blue Ridge GAP and do that before I would EVER hike up or at least make sure I planned a full day! The scenery is very nice, but.....Up NO way....don't do it - Coming off AT, GREAT!

Images

I want to do a long day hike with a group from Dick's Creek Gap to Deep Gap and then drop down USFS 71 to the gate which should be locked and closed. I assume the locked gate is where the road Y's a few miles up from 64. I have a driver willing to pick us up but want to know how far up USFS 71 they can drive before being stopped by the gate... and is the road condition suitable for a Dodge Caravan up to the gate? I know this assumes no snow, but I believe the Winter conditions this year, so far, are pretty moderate.

The Bly Gap bail point sounds interesting, but since I don't have any info to give the driver, I am a little reluctant to try it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

El Sordo
    Images

OK. here's what I think I know. You can't DRIVE to Bly Gap. Hiking out is another matter. I live in Hiawassee so if someone can drive to bly Gap you aren't bothering me in the slightest. Occasionally I get requests to shuttle someone to Bly Gap, but as far as I am aware, the road has been impassable for several years. If you know otherwise let me know. I can drive it if you can. The road to the gate on FS 71 is fine. Well graded and maintained. It's about 5 miles from the gate to Deep Gap. Given the choice I'd hike out from Deep Gap on the Kimsey Creek Trail to the Backcounty Information Station outside of Standing Indian Campground. The campground itself is also gated this time of year, but the road to the information signs remains open year round and Kimsey Creek is nearly always a very scenic hike. I've measured 3.24 inches of rain at my house in Hiawassee since Jan 1 so Kimsey Creek may be a bit high right now. There is one section along Kimsey Creek of about 10 yard where you will have to walk on a 45 degree rock slope just above the creek if it is high.

enjoy.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    OK. here's what I think I know. You can't DRIVE to Bly Gap. Hiking out is another matter. I live in Hiawassee so if someone can drive to bly Gap you aren't bothering me in the slightest. Occasionally I get requests to shuttle someone to Bly Gap, but as far as I am aware, the road has been impassable for several years. If you know otherwise let me know. I can drive it if you can. The road to the gate on FS 71 is fine. Well graded and maintained. It's about 5 miles from the gate to Deep Gap. Given the choice I'd hike out from Deep Gap on the Kimsey Creek Trail to the Backcounty Information Station outside of Standing Indian Campground. The campground itself is also gated this time of year, but the road to the information signs remains open year round and Kimsey Creek is nearly always a very scenic hike. I've measured 3.24 inches of rain at my house in Hiawassee since Jan 1 so Kimsey Creek may be a bit high right now. There is one section along Kimsey Creek of about 10 yard where you will have to walk on a 45 degree rock slope just above the creek if it is high.

enjoy.
    Thanks generoll! My wife rented a house South of Hiawaseee, so I'm trying to make it easier for her by not having to drive further east to Standing Indian CG and the BC Board (a little further). She will be coming from the West, but it appears that the intersection of FS 71 & US64 is programmable in the Garmin, so that makes it easy. It sounds like the road is good up to the gate, and our group should have no problem hiking or jogging 5 miles down the road, even if it is dark to meet her at the gate.
    I've been up and around the Standing Indian Loop via Kimsey Creek Trail (25 mile loop) a couple of times and it is very nice. This time we want to go from Unicoi Gap to Dicks Creek Gap one day, and then up to Deep Gap the 2nd day, weather permitting. Two years ago we tried the Unicoi to Dick's Gap and had to bail at Addis Gap to the South to Wildcat campground area. We ran into terrible ice laden Mtn Laurel near Tray Mtn and had to crawl on our knees for a while through an ice tunnel. We would have been well into the dark before Dick's Gap and the trail was pretty icy. So far, I hear this year has been much better so we'll just have to watch the forcasts and see what happens. Again, I appreciate the info.

El Sordo
    Images

Are you dayhiking? While there is camping at Dicks Creek, it's right by the highway and I have a bit of a prejudice against camping overnight by a road. There is no cell service at Dicks Creek, so if you are planning a pickup, you'll need to call her as you make that last descent. I had placed a survey stake south of the gap with decals indicating the last cell point, but it seems to have been removed. I'm not sure if trail maintainers objected or what, but anyway it's gone. Call the Nantahala FS District office for the latest information on the gate on FS 71. Snow has been remarkably light this year so I don't know what they've done with regards to that gate. The cell service at Deep Gap is also iffy. Sometimes if you walk around the parking lot and hold your mouth just right you'll pick up a signal.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

Not camping this year. My wife and her non hiking friends have a weekend get-a-way house rented from Thursday thru Sunday in February. I think it is South of Unicoi Gap a few miles. All the hiking people are staying there and she is the shuttle person.
    I remember the sparse cell phone service but actually got a signal out of Dick's Creek Gap on Verizon and talked to Ron at the Budget Inn for shuttle a few years back when I did a long section. I had to walk up the trail about 30 yards and turn my head a certain way .

We'll probably just have to guess at a meeting time for the Deep Gap Gate pickup point. I know about the bad cell phone coverage there. Even if I got a signal, she would probably not get the call since I believe the coverage is non existant along that part of 64. At least it was a few years back.

Journal Entries
    Images

The gate on FS 71 is only 100 yards or so from the the point where FS 71 intersects with 64 so your wife will have no driving to do on FS 71. But you will have close to 6 miles up that road to the gate from where the A.T. intersects Deep Gap parking area, and that 6 miles is up, not down or level.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by jbwood5 View Post
    It sounds like the road is good up to the gate, and our group should have no problem hiking or jogging 5 miles down the road, even if it is dark to meet her at the gate.
    It sounds like you know what you are doing, but unless you are hiking after dark I honestly can't think of a single reason to walk down 71 instead of taking the Kimsey Creek Trail.

El Sordo
    Images

Hwy 64 is in NC and is north of Hiawassee. If your rental is south of Unicoi Gap then you are probably on GA 75. You're right about cell phone service there. It's quite sparse. If you're right about the cabin then you're close to Helen. Impound your wifes credit cards.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jburgasser View Post
    The gate on FS 71 is only 100 yards or so from the the point where FS 71 intersects with 64 so your wife will have no driving to do on FS 71. But you will have close to 6 miles up that road to the gate from where the A.T. intersects Deep Gap parking area, and that 6 miles is up, not down or level.

JB
    OK, that is the info I was looking for. I was really hoping the gate was much further up. This is starting to sound like our bail out at Addis Gap, down the fire road to Wildcat campground area that was gated just below the campground. It seems like we went for hours down that road and got caught by darkness and 3-4 inches of snow in 2010. It must have been 6-8 miles and the hiking group was starting to get concerned. I don't want to do that again. So... I guess it will be down the Kimsey Creek Trail to the BackCountry board parking spot for a little bit longer day than I had hoped for. If it looks like it will be dark, we'll do the Deep Gap road and just deal with it. BTW, we are going N bound up through the Bly Gap big climb.

Thanks, and I believe I know your Dad, Joe from St Pete. You must be his son, Jim?

Just John
    Seminole, FL

Images

Another thought..... How is the Chunky Gal Trail? Anybody been on it recently? That seems like a pretty straight shot down from the AT to 64.

El Sordo
    Images

Straight shot down is right. In places I was almost swinging from tree to tree coming down. Marta hiked UP it to the AT. It is a viable route down to hwy 64 from the AT if that's what you're looking for.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

OK, we ended up starting at Kimsey Creek Trail this past Saturday 2/11/12 and finished at Dick's Creek Gap on Hwy 76. We hit the trail at 7:20 AM in blowing snow and cold windy weather. There was no ice yet along the Kimsey Creek trail and we got our feet damp in a few places. By the time we got up to the ridge on the exposed west side of the AT over Hwy 64, the snow had accumulated about 1 to 1-1/2 inches and we were being pelted with snow and ice blowing off the trees. Fortunately, we were prepared with plenty of warm gear. There was a short time where I had two knitted ski/face masks and 2 pair of gloves on. The water bottles turned to slush and ice and I had to hold one bottle close to my chest for a while to get the lid unscrewed. At Muskrat Shelter, there were two hikers and a dog with a tent set up inside the shelter. Those folks were desperately trying to get to Frankilin and it looked like they were having a tough time with the sudden shift to cold. I told them to call Ron for a possible pickup down on Hwy 64. They were planning to go down the Chunky Gal or the Deep Gap road to Hwy 64. I don't know how they made out.

Going Southbound ended up being a good choice and really made it easier since it was mostly going down mountains. This was the opposite direction of the original plan and we did it that way because I was afraid if the snow got bad, my wife wouldn't make it to Standing Indian for the pickup or we might get stranded down there.

Once we entered GA on the AT, the trail became really easy and there was almost no snow. Many times we had a ridge blocking the wind which was a great relief. Overall, the hike was beautiful and I really enjoy winter hiking. Friday we did Unicoi Gap to Dick's Creek and it was pretty tough with a few good climbs.

Thanks to all here for the info. Kimsey Creek really was the best choice, just a little longer than I wanted, but going N to S made up for that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++