WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Walking the Amazon Documentary

I just saw the documentary "Walking the Amazon" and was blown away. The guy spent 2+ years walking in really tough conditions carrying a ridiculous amount of weight. Started off as a pair, but the other guy got ticked off and left so he continued on with just his guides. Evidently most of the food was from the jungle and he didn't seem to be all that skinny at the finish like many AT thru hikers, so I guess he was able to get enough calories. Had lots of hi-tech stuff, gps, satellite broadband, laptop, rafts (!) so I'm amazed he didn't physically break down. Maybe the book has more details on the equipment and logistics, you know, gear talk!

http://www.edstafford.org/walking-the-amazon

Yea I watched this the other night on the Nat Geo? I would love to hike north/south along the Andes range, but through the Amazon would likely not be my cup of tea. Impressive, I would say- especially to continue through the flooded periods, and through the red-zone... Is worth a watch anyways, but I think I've found where my limits lie. (It could be I am just uncomfortable with the idea of the rainforests and different environment).

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Why would one hike through the Amazon where it is much covered in 100% humidity, posionous snakes/spiders, predators, and drug cartels.

And the guy looked like he didn't lose any weight.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Journal Entries

Guy was a total douche from what I could tell. The real hero was the guide.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    Guy was a total douche from what I could tell. The real hero was the guide.
    yeah, i have to kind of agree with that.

i recorded the show and started to watch it later. i enjoyed the andes part, but kept wondering how these two guys had any chance of achieving this.

i walked out of the room to do some other stuff, and when i came back, one of the guys was gone! was going to rewind to find out why, and then realized i really didn't care enough to even make the effort. watched another ten minutes or so, and then zapped it.

just goes to prove anyone can make a show these days and get it aired as long as it is unique, or they had money to sell it, or just knew the right people.

oh well.

TV

++ New Posts ++