WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Down Jacket/ Outershell combo suggestions.

Im looking for good and "inexpensive" down jacket and outershell combo. I was browsing at REI yesterday and couldn't find much that wouldn't break the bank. I need it to be warm (850 fill?), light, and compressible. Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

OK your going to get flack because people think you are suggesting long distance hiking in down, which is frowned upon. - once we can get past that and lets take an educated guess that you want something for section hiking or just being outside in camp.

Here is one cheap suggestion I have made four years in a row.... CLICK HERE
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Just about any quality down jac is going to cost $, possibly might find used more resonable. Great investment check montbell and western mountaineering. As for inexp. shell ... O2, FrogTogg, FriDuck.

I am talking about using both for long distance hiking...just not at the same time. I wouldn't hike in the down of coarse. The down would be used while at rest or in camp. Is this still a bad idea? I will admit.. I am a little lost when it comes to the clothes combo I should take on my first thru attempt. Any "Flak" is welcome as long as it brings me closer to perfecting my gear list.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well every year this question comes up and then spirals down the same path.... So it really wasn't pointed at you - just decided to "nip it" before it happened. I think having a down jacket under 1lbs is very handy because it compresses and fits well in a compression sack. And LLbean jackets are treated to be wet proof. The water bounces off the jackets and beads.... handy on foggy ski slopes. And you can mail it home inexpensively when you are done with it.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rabbit View Post
    Im looking for good and "inexpensive" down jacket and outershell combo. I was browsing at REI yesterday and couldn't find much that wouldn't break the bank. I need it to be warm (850 fill?), light, and compressible. Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Do a search for down jackets as well as down sweaters. Down sweaters have slightly less fill, but when used as part of a layer system, they work very well. (Most zip just like a jacket.) I have a Pantagonia down sweater that I use around camp on cold nights. I use a wool base layer (which I also use for sleeping), a mid-weight layer, and then the down sweater. I also wear a wool hat. The down sweater is also good as an extra layer for sleeping on those cold nights when your bag is near the limit. Or to use as a pillow.

In my opinion, you don't need a water resistant down jacket because you will most likely have some type of rain coat that you can use over the jacket if there is precipitation. Also, if your down jacket is water resistant, you probably can't use this inside your sleeping bag because your body warmth will probably not be able to penetrate the shell and heat up your down bag.

As far cost...well, they are rather expensive. Down sweaters tend to be less expensive than down jackets. But with all the sales right now, you might be able to find something in the low 100's. I have friends who have picket up some nice down jackets at Goodwill stores.

Good luck!
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Looking at the patagonia down sweater vs montbell vs ll bean.. Looks like I can get either for around the same price on sale now. Ill have to do some more research before I decide. Thanks!!

Images

I just picked up an 800 fill down sweater double-discounted from REI for $100 (originally $200) to go with my waterproof eVent REI shell jacket. Haven't tested them on the trail yet but I suspect I will love this combo.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rabbit View Post
    Looking at the patagonia down sweater vs montbell vs ll bean.. Looks like I can get either for around the same price on sale now. Ill have to do some more research before I decide. Thanks!!
    I don't own any LL Bean gear, so I have no idea of the quality or weight. But you can't go wrong with Patagonia or Montbell. Both make quality outerwear.

The best piece of advice (forgive me if I have said this before) that I received when I was purchasing my gear was to buy the most lightweight, highest quality, item you can afford that meets your needs. Sometimes that means buying things used, or even making your own.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I just picked up an 800 fill down sweater double-discounted from REI for $100 (originally $200) to go with my waterproof eVent REI shell jacket. Haven't tested them on the trail yet but I suspect I will love this combo.
    Nice combo!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer View Post
    Nice combo!!
    Thanks! This is the down sweater I got:

http://www.rei.com/product/808217/co...ns-special-buy

They still had it in winter green color, which I got. Not crazy about these two colors that are left. Also got another discount taking it down to $100. Free shipping and it arrived in two days! The product is very well made. I'm also jazzed about using this sweater in a small stuff sack, giving me a down pillow! That is actually what I'm the most excited about!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Thanks! This is the down sweater I got:

http://www.rei.com/product/808217/co...ns-special-buy

They still had it in winter green color, which I got. Not crazy about these two colors that are left. Also got another discount taking it down to $100. Free shipping and it arrived in two days! The product is very well made. I'm also jazzed about using this sweater in a small stuff sack, giving me a down pillow! That is actually what I'm the most excited about!!!
    Looks like a nice jacket! Lightweight, warm, compressable and doubles as a pillow!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Believe it or not, the down jacket sold at Costco for $30 is getting very good reviews:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...to_post=463247

An XL weights 11.5 oz. I believe the large is 10 oz. Hood included.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

The Cordillera one above lists at 15 oz. but that's probably the weight of XXL. My L weighs 11 oz.

Images

I use a Mont Bell down jacket (6 oz-$150) for camp and a Marmot Mica Jacket (7 oz-$120) for everything else.

"Believe it or not, the down jacket sold at Costco for $30 is getting very good reviews:"

Yeah, t
    his from a guy who thinks that "tenting" means rolling up in a disguarded piece of plastic sheeting... In the rain... Dang, that's funny!

In all seriousness, you made the right choice in bags. I've owned bags from all 3 companies you indicated you were interested in, having bought the Marmot last... Wisht I'da bought the Marmot first. I think the others' temp ratings are flawed... Marmot's the real deal... Just sayin'

Also bought the Marmot Zeus (XXL) and the Patagonia down sweater (XXL). IMO, once again the Marmot product is superior. Google them all. Look at 6PM, The Find, Gear Finder, etc. I paid about $100 for each of mine. (Watch for free shipping days) And if you can wait, why not hold off with any more major purchases until AFTER HO HO HO... Ya know?

Take it hiking... Keep it dry... Nice pillow... You'll love it.

I've also had good success here and at the other gear swap site just putting out a WTB ad.

Good luck!
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Hike smarter, not harder.

Watch Eddie Bauer for the First Ascent down sweater on sale. It will happen before Christmas.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Last night at hawk mtn shelter I slept in my Patagonia down sweater and was glad to have it

With any exertion you will find that your persiration vapor condenses on the inside of your wp/b shell in cold weather. Get something in down that you won't ever hike in, and save your money and buy a fleece jacket to wear under your shell on the trail. If you have extra money, spend it on that nice down jacket (with a hood) for camp and get one of the fancy-schmancy manmade-wonder-stuffed light jackets for the trail (again, I would recommend a hood because it's always there when you need it). I have all of the above (including an REI Shuksan eVent jacket, and I often leave the manmade-wonder stuffed jacket at home because it's sometimes too warm to wear while hiking (my old Black Diamond 100wt. fleece jacket is more versatile and dries more quickly).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Believe it or not, the down jacket sold at Costco for $30 is getting very good reviews:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...to_post=463247

An XL weights 11.5 oz. I believe the large is 10 oz. Hood included.
    These are CHILDREN's sizes! On a hike last month, everybody tried on somebody's boy's XL. Boy's XL fit me, normally men's medium; some guys bigger than me found them OK. They seem quite a bit warmer than a Pat. nanopuff or similar light jacket. If you're not too large they're a great deal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++