WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shoe Question

Default Shoe Question

Does switching to Trail runners negate the need/usefulness of camp shoes like Crocs?

Just wondering

Garlic
    Images

Yes, it does.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I was just thinking about the black, funky, stinky Long Trail mud...

Images

Not if you're totally into thru hiking mode. When I'm on a long hike, I'm in my shelter within 15 minutes of getting to camp and I don't get out until morning. That said, Crocs or some type of sandal or flip flop is nice on zero days in town. I've switched from Waldies sandals to a home made sandals made of cordage and blue camp pad. It weighs very little and I can put it into my shoes for extra padding.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Yes, it does.
    This sounds great, but what do you about river crossings? That was the main reason I planned on bringing a pair of Crocs or sandals...
    "I'm your Huckleberry..."

Images

Dry socks and crocs sounds pretty good after a duration of wet feet.

Journal Entries

my feet are howling after a 10-15 mile walk.... and my crocs sure felt good at the end of the day, to let my feet breath and relax... i really enjoyed mine.

We when we do our little family hikes and overnighters I don't carry any extra footwear, but yeah, I was thinking after a long day on the LT fresh socks and Crocs may be my vice.

Think my mind is made up.
    Thanks

Buy some waterproof socks like Sealskinz or Rockys. Bread bags or stuff sacks in the right size to slip over your feet will work as well. Put them on over dry socks when you get to camp (or under wet socks if you want to dry them a bit which is pretty much impossible in wet weather) and put your trail runners back on. Your feet won't know that the nylon and leather runners are wet. If you want some ready-made waterproof socks besides the ones I've mentioned you can check out the socks at www.warmlite.com . They are double layered, and each layer has the membrane on the inside, to protect it from abrasion. They are sold as vapor barrier socks, but they are waterproof with the exception of the stitching.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Get a pair of these:

http://www.theunderwearguys.com/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=218

Add the stock inserts from your trail runners (that you replaced with better inserts)
    They weigh almost nothing, certainly over a pound less than Crocs.
    These can be used for river crossings (will dry very fast hanging off your pack) with or without shoes. If crossing is difficult, remove the inserts, slip these on and your shoes over them. After the crossing, shake excess water out of your shoes, put your dry socks and wet shoes on and go. But most of the time you should be able to cross with these without getting your shoes wet.

Images

You will not believe how comfortable those neoprene slippers are. After trying them, you will think of Crocs as a bunch of croc.

Those look nice, for 9 bucks I might check them out. Not sure I'd want to walk to the water source in them though
    I was never a fan of changing shoes for crossings or doing ballet to keep my feet dry, seems like a good way to fall or bust a toe.
    So many variables, thanks for the input

Andy
    going to go weigh some Crocs

Do they have an outsole with tread? The link didn't show the sole. I'd be wary using anything without an outsole on mud. You need some stable footing while filtering water, at least.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Tinker, that was my thought as well, or stubbing my toe on a fire ring,lol.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
    Those look nice, for 9 bucks I might check them out. Not sure I'd want to walk to the water source in them though
    I was never a fan of changing shoes for crossings or doing ballet to keep my feet dry, seems like a good way to fall or bust a toe.
    So many variables, thanks for the input

Andy
    going to go weigh some Crocs
    As in most cases, one camp shoe, or river crossing solution, doesn't solve for all situations. After I get to where I'm going to camp, I generally set up my tent, then go get water, then change out of wet/sweaty clothes and put on my camp shoes. They definitely are great for walking around camp, but not where it's muddy and wet. They are very tough though. I've been using mine for several 4-7 day hikes and they are showing no sign of wear. On my last hike the first week of November I thought I had snagged a hole in one for sure as it caught pretty good on a jagged stick, but I was amazed upon inspecting it that there was no sign of damage.
    Tinker, they have no sole. They are really just for ambling around the campsite, staying out of mud/water. Light rainy conditions are OK, but if it's heavy, yucky-muddy raining I don't break them out, but then you're either in your tent or in a shelter. They'd be OK putting around inside the shelter.

Images

Without putting shoe inserts in them you'll feel like you're walking barefoot . . . feel every pebble and stick, but with a stock shoe insert they are very good and still very light. My older pair is brightly colored on both sides (yellow/red) so thus my hiking buddies call them my "Elton John" shoes! But they want a pair real bad!

Journal Entries
    Images

some trail shoes / runners are waterproof - Solomon comes to mind - I wear thick Walmart hunting socks. I wade right thru and in half an hour I am dry again just because I keep going.

Leave the Crocs at home.

I agree with Summit above post - I use blue inserts for an additional arch recommended by my Podiatrist.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 11-26-2011 at 14:21. Reason: Summit
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
    Does switching to Trail runners negate the need/usefulness of camp shoes like Crocs?

Just wondering
    In addition to providing a solution (neoprene slippers), the basic answer to your question is, IMHO, no. After a high-miles day, or if you're shoes are soaked and muddy, it's very nice to be able to escape them! Your feet will thank you!

neoprene slippers with insoles..got it, thanks.
    If I'm too Elton john Stranger is liable to put an old school, punk rock, beat down on me!

Images

I used trail shoes on the PCT and never thought crocs were worth it. On the AT back in the big boot days I wanted camp shoes. People use ti wear high leather boots and carry sneakers for camp, if you can believe it. But now I just use montrails or whatever and walk through the water as needed. Beware of waterproof shoes because when the do get wet they take longer to dry out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++