WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Default William O Douglas

According to the 2005 Companion (pg. 90), William O DOuglas was a 2000 miler.
    without love in the dream it will never come true...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej
    William O. Douglas, author of My Wilderness: East to Katahdin, 'just' a section hiker not a 2000 miler, used to vacation at Katahdin Lake in his later years.
    I believe Justice Douglas claimed to be a 2,000-miler. Kathy of that other AT site also thinks so.

"Another person who hiked the whole A.T. was Justice William O. Douglas, the same person largely responsible for saving the C & O Canal from being turned into a highway."

Weary

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart
    Secretary of the Interior Bruce Babbitt has at least hiked on the A.T., but I don't know how much. I'm sure it was a hell of a lot more than James Watt.
    Oh, come on. James Watt had a few hundred feet dug up and brought to his house so he could walk on it.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

http://www.myspace.com/officialbillville Mountain Dew's Avatar

Ewan McGregor's bike ride was partially a farse. He claimed to have riden around the world with his longtime friend and that they were self reliant. Totally untrue. The camera crew that followed them also had several mechanics, parts for their bikes, and food. Where these crews couldn't follow them they simply arranged to meet them via , train, plane, etc.

Stupe, That was trully a classic post. Trully hilarious.

As far as I'm concerned nobody famous on a national level has ever thru-hiked nor is it likely that one ever will.

Richard Gere asked hikers about the A.T. ? I bet he was especially curious about the shelter mice as he is known for his pet gerbals.
    THE Mairnttt...Boys of Dryland '03 (an unplanned Billville suburb)
    http://www.AT2003.com
    [email protected]
    http://www.myspace.com/hudson_hartson

Quote Originally Posted by weary
    I believe Justice Douglas claimed to be a 2,000-miler.
    It seems to be one of those "everybody knows" things, Weary. Except that when this topic came up years ago on another list we couldn't find evidence that Justice Douglas ever made the claim himself. No matter how much he hiked, or what claims he did or did not make, he was a true champion of wilderness, trails, and wild places.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Default Careful what you wish for

Didn't you ever hear the quote: "Be careful what you wish for, you may get it!"

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Smile

....Does anyone agree that the solace and introspection that the trail offers, and it's ability to open one's eye's as to what is actually "real" would completely throw these folks off a bit more than they are willing to bear?...
    daggum, how cynical!

no, I don't agree; it wouldn't throw them any further than it would the average American. Infact, given the creativity of their profession, I would venture to say they might handle it better because they could put themselves into the "role" of being a hiker.

It took dedication and perserverance towards a goal to get most of them where they are and those are two important traits of thru hikers.

Images

I'm resisting the temptation to verify my facts, and report: When Justice Douglas became famous he told a reporter the highlights of his AT section hike many years earlier. The ATC reported what place he would have been on the all time 2000 miler list, and it was pretty high, like 58.

This brings up 2 questions, 1) why is a section hike less impressive than a thru hike? 2) Does his accomplishment count if he did not get the patch?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stupe
    Some famous people who attempted, and some who succeeded:

Al Gore ( sobo, overshot Springer, got lost in Florida )
    John Kerry ( nobo, ended up lost in Ohio. Went too far left )
    George W. Bush (Dressed like a hiker and pretended to finish. His trail name:Mission Accomplished )
    Bill Clinton ( completed entire hike with his pants around his ankles )
    Pretty funny. I like an equal opportunity offender.
    Just hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    At the end of Calling Me Back To The Hills (Photos by Bart Smith, text by Earl Shaffer), there is a post-script type of essay by Linda Ellerbee. She apparently section hikes every year...
    I always thought Linda E. was one of the most upstanding and ethical reporters out there. She was (is?) truly a class act!
    Just hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew
    Ewan McGregor's bike ride was partially a farse. He claimed to have riden around the world with his longtime friend and that they were self reliant. Totally untrue. The camera crew that followed them also had several mechanics, parts for their bikes, and food. Where these crews couldn't follow them they simply arranged to meet them via , train, plane, etc.
    I wasn't suggesting this was the same deal as a thru or they went unassisted, just that when the rich/famous want adventure like us they can go much bigger and probably never even see the AT due to virtually unlimited resources as was earlier pointed out.

But why do you think it's a farce? It wasn't a competition or sanctioned event. There is no patch to earn. Just 2 guys riding bikes and shooting a show. They talked about and showed on the program all the backup crew and how they followed the bikes where they could and when roads got too rough for them they did indeed portage to the next accessible location. I didn't see it as deceitful at all.
    "That's just like...your opinion, man." - The Dude

seems like stirred up an intresting topic.yeah no celeb would dare go hike the at now that i think about it.richard gere in shenandoah? i wonder if he got a blueberry shake at big meadows.dam those were good!!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej
    It seems to be one of those "everybody knows" things, Weary. Except that when this topic came up years ago on another list we couldn't find evidence that Justice Douglas ever made the claim himself. No matter how much he hiked, or what claims he did or did not make, he was a true champion of wilderness, trails, and wild places.
    Many thanks, Teej. You've forced me to reread all his books to find out what if anything, he said about completing all the trail. I'll let you know what I've found in about a month.

Weary

Default The Old College Try....

Most celebrities or famous people seem to lack both the time and the inclination to thru-hike.

In recent years, the best-known person to spend significant time on or near the Trail was most likely Eric Rudolph.

He didn't finish, tho.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    In recent years, the best-known person to spend significant time on or near the Trail was most likely Eric Rudolph.
    He didn't finish, tho.
    ======================================
    Yeah ...and as difficult as it was to find him he musta taken a lot of side trails. Maybe he followed all those signs leading to vistas.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    ======================================
    Yeah ...and as difficult as it was to find him he musta taken a lot of side trails. Maybe he followed all those signs leading to vistas.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    ...and Wendy's dumpsters.
    "That's just like...your opinion, man." - The Dude

Images

I don't know if you call him famous, but two of the Survivor contestants hiked the Appalachian Trail - Greg from Season 1 and Gabe from Season 4, I think it was.

Corvis

http://www.myspace.com/officialbillville Mountain Dew's Avatar

Bjorkin, I have seen him interviewed two or three times and when asked about his motorcycle trip around the world he definetly either lead the interviewer to believe it was self sustained or he let the interviewer put a heroic slant on the truth.
    -----------------
    I've been re-reading Earl's book, "Calling me Back to the Hills" picture/poetry book on the A.T. and he says that the Douglas DID thru-hike.

QUOTE from page 101, "Despite common belief, the William B. Douglas shelter was not named in honor of the late Chielf Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, William O. Douglas, who was the 18th thru-hiker of the A.T. "

AMEN
    ------
    NO survivor EVER thru-hiked either. That's simply not true.
    THE Mairnttt...Boys of Dryland '03 (an unplanned Billville suburb)
    http://www.AT2003.com
    [email protected]
    http://www.myspace.com/hudson_hartson

Journal Entries
    Images

The "Appalachian Trail Year Book" lists a William O. Douglas as a 1958 2,000 Miler. The 18th 2,000 Miler on the ATC list.

Seems to me I recollect routing for a Survivor who listed a thru on his bio, which was listed on the CBS page. Doesn't make it true, but I cant imagine anyone bending the truth about such a thing.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickboudrie
    The "Appalachian Trail Year Book" lists a William O. Douglas as a 1958 2,000 Miler. The 18th 2,000 Miler on the ATC list.
    Seems to me I recollect routing for a Survivor who listed a thru on his bio, which was listed on the CBS page. Doesn't make it true, but I cant imagine anyone bending the truth about such a thing.
    Come on guys. You don't need to come up with the information this fast. Now I have no excuse to re-read my several Douglas books.

Weary

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++