WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default why has anybody famous never attempted a thru-hike?

as to my knowledge,there has never been any celebrity or psuedo-celebrity to attempt a thru-hike.by celebrity im not talking about earl schaffer or wingfoot or a trail celebrity,im talking like a-listers or b listers.im actully surprised that no body has to this point.i mean could anybody super famous ever even think the AT was for them?theres got to be some people out there who are famous who like to hike long distances and would have considered it ,right?
    at first you'd think that them being famous would hinder their hike with all of us out there bothering them and being starstruck.but being a former thru-hiker myself,i think they would just become another hiking buddy and blend in like the rest of us.
    well at least the paparazzi wouldnt be able to follow em!!

There was that somewhat famous ballerina guy, Jacques Tootight or something like that, who pranced his way from Georgia to Maine raising money for a NYC ballet thingy.

Default why has anybody famous never attempted a thru-hike?

A thru hike takes precious time that famous people, who are in the process of their careers, can ill afford to squander. Even when their career wanes they have to stand ready in case the phone rings. They don't get that clean cut retirement date like us regular folks get. "Famous" is a relative thing. We've had generals and other successful people who are famous in their own world. I get a kick out of the general public mistaking thru hikers as "homeless" or something like that since I suspect that thru hikers are usually better off than the people making the wrong assumption. I think thru hikers usually have some bucks someplace even if it's in mommy and daddy's pocket. Yes, there are exceptions.

Default Judge?

I can't remember his name, but didn't one of our former Supreme Court Judges thru-hike?
    CT

Images

He wasnt famous when he hiked, but a thru hiker eventually became chief justus of the supreme court (USA). I think it was Douglas. Do that count?
    I'm sure there are a few thru or section hikers who eventually became famous, but I don't know who.
    A poster here is a rather "famous" renaissance fair actor, & he has sectioned the entire AT. Well, at least his show is very famous, and those who have seen it know well who he is.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Mayor Bob Corker of Chattanooga section hikes occasiionally. Miss janet shuttled him in '04. He's running for Bill Frist's seat in the US Senate in '06.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Journal Entries
    Images

Less than 1 of every 150,000 americans start a thru hike each year-- and for many years it was much less than that.

How many celebreties are out there?

The only semi-famous perswon I know of who hiked the AT was the founder/CEO of the billion-dollar supermarket chain Whole Food's Market.

I know Nelix of Startrek fame expressed an interest on the official website at one time. Perhaps we could enourage him to post. Are you out there Nelix!

Rick B

Images

Wasn't there a guy that played pro basketball for a few years that thru-hiked?
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari
    He wasnt famous when he hiked, but a thru hiker eventually became chief justus of the supreme court (USA). I think it was Douglas. Do that count?

Doctari.
    Actually, Hugh O Douglas was an Associate Justice, not Chief Justice. He was a 2000 miler, not a thru hiker. I believe he had finished all the trail before there was a such thing as a thru hiker.

tri bes
    without love in the dream it will never come true...

Images

One of my biggest fears is that Oprah will start hiking the trail. Can you imagine the thousands, upon thousands, of her blind sheep followers who would want do the same thing just because she was.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock

7'2" Serge Zwicker played for UNC (Carolina) and was drafted by the Houston Rockets. I don't know if he completed a thru.

Easy there Lugnut. I like Oprah.

There's a woman on the US soccer team (Abby Wambach, perhaps, and I don't even think I spelled her name right) who was said that she plans a thru when she can't keep up with the ball any longer.

Some famous people who attempted, and some who succeeded:

Al Gore ( sobo, overshot Springer, got lost in Florida )
    John Kerry ( nobo, ended up lost in Ohio. Went too far left )
    George W. Bush (Dressed like a hiker and pretended to finish. His trail name:Mission Accomplished )
    Bill Clinton ( completed entire hike with his pants around his ankles )

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    ======================================
    Yes, a hiker named "Serge" hiked in 2001. I know he played college ball for N Carolina but at the moment I forget which pro team ??. My wife and I met him at Blue Mountain Shelter during her thru. The dude stood 7' tall and carried the largest Dana Designs backpack I have ever seen in my life.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Default Yep, you're right...

Quote Originally Posted by DMA, 2000
    There's a woman on the US soccer team (Abby Wambach, perhaps, and I don't even think I spelled her name right) who was said that she plans a thru when she can't keep up with the ball any longer.
    You did spell her name right...she'll have a few years before this happens, since she's only 25, but here's her bio http://www.ussoccer.com/bio/bio.sps?iBiographyID=5911 . 'Way down at the bottom is "...if she didn't play soccer she would hike the Appalachian Trail". She was one of the featured athletes in the BACKPACKER rag summer Olympics issue last year.

I don't know if she'll ever qualify as famous to the non-women's soccer crowd, but I have met her and she's the genuine good person and a great example to my teen daughter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stupe

George W. Bush (Dressed like a hiker and pretended to finish. His trail name:Mission Accomplished )
    ====================================
    This is hilarious ....all political leanings aside !!

'Slogger

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Groucho
    7'2" Serge Zwicker played for UNC (Carolina) and was drafted by the Houston Rockets. I don't know if he completed a thru.
    =========================================
    As I recall, his wife was VERY pregnant when he began. He came off the trail in Franklin to become a father. I saw him at Trail Days in 2001 and again in 2002 but never did ask him if he had a chance to finish his thru.

'Slogger
    AT 2003

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stupe

This is destined to become a classic - no matter what your political views are!

Images

Serge, at 7'2"? Wow I bet he had one hell of a stride, and no trouble with blowdowns. I wonder who made his sleeping bag and tent?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++