WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I would love to do anything in Antarctica.

My second on the list was greenland. I leave in 5 days!

around nepal

After some backpacking in the rainforest in costa rica I have ZERO desire to do a long backpacking trip in the tropical rainforest anywhere.

Europe first connecting a bunch of trails but not leaving out Great Britain. It's more civilized but with touches of remortness and grandeur.

S. America second for the wildness of it plus how many Americans hike there much beyond Patagonia?

New Zealand third. I'd just move there and live on a boat most of the yr and when not hiking go sailing around the world. It's one of the few places where nothing else compares.

N. America has to be right there too but I've seen a good portion of it so I'm being unappreciative of my home continent.

A Great Himalayan Trail thru would be a lofty goal too.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The Scottish Highlands
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    First choice: Norway - up the spine of the country along the fiords.

Second choice: New Zealand
    Haven't changed my mind on this - these 2 are still at the top of the list but that doesn't mean they're the next ones I take on.

I just returned from 17 days in a place that no one's mentioned but I'm sure you'd all like: Iceland. With the snow-capped mountains and glaciers, tundra festooned with wildflowers, thermal activity, countless waterfalls, alpine lakes, cliffs reaching down to the ocean, it combines aspects of New Zealand, Alaska, Yellowstone, Washington State. And then there's the 24 hour of daylight; we didn't experience any darkness at all for a trip that ran June 25-July 11.

Being a small island, you can't backpack a continuous trail but you can string together several 4-5 day backpacking trips. My GF and I didn't backpack but car-camped every night and day-hiked to waterfalls and lakes. Stealth camping is very easy and perfectly legal so we had some fantastic sites.

206 Jokulsarlon.jpg212 Day 4 campsite on Austurland coast.jpg232 Hengifoss.jpg285 Day 5 campsite.jpg302 Puffin nesting at Borgarfjordur.jpg308 Borgarfjordur.jpg320 Dettifoss.jpg339 Lake Myvatn.jpg458 Western fjords between Isafjord and Arnarfjordur.jpg465 Western fjords between Isafjord and Arnarfjordur.jpg477 Day 9 campsite by Dynjandi.jpg483 Dynjandi.jpg532 Day 10 campsite on Patreksfjordur.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BigHodag View Post
    1) AT thru hike

2) Anapurna Circuit, Nepal

3) Milford Track, New Zealand

4) Machu Pichu, Peru

5) Camino de Santiago, France/Spain

6) PCT
    This is almost exactly my list. Sign me up when the lottery fairy finally arrives.

In no particular order: Tour Mt. Blanc (actually, saving for it right now - going in 2015); The Amalfi Coast in Italy; The Annapurna Circuit; The JMT; The Milford Track in New Zealand; The High Inca Trail in Peru; and the Waitukubuli National Trail in Dominica (going to hike part of it in 2016).

It changes from month to month. Recently, I have become interested in the Tsum Valley.

http://www.parahamsa.com/blog/2011/0...-of-happiness/
    http://www.tsumvalley.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Haven't changed my mind on this - these 2 are still at the top of the list but that doesn't mean they're the next ones I take on.

I just returned from 17 days in a place that no one's mentioned but I'm sure you'd all like: Iceland. With the snow-capped mountains and glaciers, tundra festooned with wildflowers, thermal activity, countless waterfalls, alpine lakes, cliffs reaching down to the ocean, it combines aspects of New Zealand, Alaska, Yellowstone, Washington State. And then there's the 24 hour of daylight; we didn't experience any darkness at all for a trip that ran June 25-July 11.

Being a small island, you can't backpack a continuous trail but you can string together several 4-5 day backpacking trips. My GF and I didn't backpack but car-camped every night and day-hiked to waterfalls and lakes. Stealth camping is very easy and perfectly legal so we had some fantastic sites.

206 Jokulsarlon.jpg212 Day 4 campsite on Austurland coast.jpg232 Hengifoss.jpg285 Day 5 campsite.jpg302 Puffin nesting at Borgarfjordur.jpg308 Borgarfjordur.jpg320 Dettifoss.jpg339 Lake Myvatn.jpg458 Western fjords between Isafjord and Arnarfjordur.jpg465 Western fjords between Isafjord and Arnarfjordur.jpg477 Day 9 campsite by Dynjandi.jpg483 Dynjandi.jpg532 Day 10 campsite on Patreksfjordur.jpg
    We will have about a week in Iceland on our way back from Greenland. We hope to get some good camping in while there.

Images

There's no place like home...AT thru hike; then maybe the Swiss Alps.

Images

Cookerhiker, great pictures of Iceland! I went on a one day jeep tour when I was there and would love to hike there. I think Icelandic Air still lets you do a couple day layover there if you fly to Europe with them; definitely worth considering if you're traveling to Europe. I have seen a couple of blogs of long hikes across Iceland, I think crossing it from north to south.

Do you have a trip report?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    Cookerhiker, great pictures of Iceland! I went on a one day jeep tour when I was there and would love to hike there. I think Icelandic Air still lets you do a couple day layover there if you fly to Europe with them; definitely worth considering if you're traveling to Europe. I have seen a couple of blogs of long hikes across Iceland, I think crossing it from north to south.

Do you have a trip report?
    Thanks and sorry, no trip report. We put a full day every day and I just didn't take the time.

However, my photos are on Facebook set to "Public" meaning you don't even have to be a FB user let alone a friend to view them. I'm loading them one day at a time and have 9 days of the 17 day trip loaded. Each day's album has a paragraph summary which I guess is a de facto trip report.

If you click on this link to the Day 7 & 8 album, you should see it and have access to all my "public" albums - at least I think that's the way FB works.

Edit: sorry, it's not working. I don't understand why because I thought "public" meant "anyone." If you're on FB, copy the link, log on, and paste the link - maybe that will work.
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 07-19-2013 at 21:30.

I moved to New Zealand (from New York) in 2002 and became a permanent resident, I moved to Australia in 2009 and have been in Aussie since, but just bought a house in New Zealand and plan to move back in 2014.

For me, mile for mile...nothing touches the South Island of New Zealand. I'm sure there are better places, but I'll take NZ any day. I'm actually here for the weekend, and every time I touch down here I feel better.

Australia has some amazing trails as well, and far better weather, but there really is no place like New Zealand.

Anywhere in the Himalayas, the ADT and the 88 Temple Pilgrimage on Shikoku.

Besides northwest North America, where I already am, I'd love to see New Zealand.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I think if you add in I don't have to worry about political and crime factors of the area (like being arrested as a spy or being robbed on my ride from airport to trail head), that changes things a lot. I think the Himalayas are first on my list regardless of all of that, but I don't have a desire to do any technical climbing...just "walk ups." I could list destinations for the rest of my life. For some reason I really want to do the Arctic Circle Trail in Greenland. I don't know how I got that in my mind.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++